Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Yalta Owners Club-aka-Roll Call

Re: Yalta Owners Club-aka-Roll Call

Getout, I guess you are right that you get what you pay for but personally I don't see an issue with the anchor light where it is. When you look at the above photo of Scalems boat you cant tell me you wouldn't see his anchor light at 360 degrees when it is on the water. He doesn't have rocket launchers so where else is the anchor light going to go. It can't be added to the bimini bars in case you want to take it down. Yeah it could be better but only a minor issue to me. Fair comment though

Quote Originally Posted by Tritto View Post
    Getout, I guess you are right that you get what you pay for but personally I don't see an issue with the anchor light where it is. When you look at the above photo of Scalems boat you cant tell me you wouldn't see his anchor light at 360 degrees when it is on the water. He doesn't have rocket launchers so where else is the anchor light going to go. It can't be added to the bimini bars in case you want to take it down. Yeah it could be better but only a minor issue to me. Fair comment though
    Every new boat out there is an active advertisement for its builder/dealer. I just can't understand how any boatbuilder can put crappy fitouts on their product. That all round white, should be fitted up on the rocket launcher. Yes the wiring is difficult (because the bimini is lightweight and folding).

I followed a centre-console tinny on the highway yesterday which had an all-round white light mounted at eye-level on the console. Brilliant!!

Red face Re: Yalta Owners Club-aka-Roll Call

G/day Scalem

Mate i'm getting closer to deciding on yatla, just wondering if you got the hydraulic steering with yours and if you didnt if you think its worthwhile getting it.

thanks Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scalem View Post
    Hi Scott,

It's very difficult to have both in a 6 mtr boat . It would be very hard to have an Under floor tank of 150 litrs and a kill tank which has to go somewhere, so if you look at my triple 5 you will see front and rear inspection ports which more or less show you the beginning and end of the tank, the inspection ports giving access to hose clamps. There is an area at the start of the cabin at floor level which is semi plumbed, there is a bung hole already there. I was toying with the idea of using this as my kill tank, but don't like the idea of having blood and scales running under my floorboards to eventually drain via the main bungs at the transom. Maybe a bilge pump and hose placed in this section will work but being up the front of the boat I expect a fair bit off sloshing around - too close to the bunk cushions according to my missus, so the whole idea has been squashed So after failing to get Santa to deliver a bigger esky for Christmas, my whinging may have gotten me my wish for my birthday coming up soon. The fish can bleed into a bucket for a few minutes before being released into the esky.

The standard sounder offering at MT was very "average" IMO, I upgraded to a combo which is the Humminbird 788ci. http://store.humminbird.com/products...063d8e2f61c204
    Very good colour graphics, very convenient having a split screen GPS and sounder while under way, and it has two SD card slots so programming my waypoints can be done on my computer, downloaded to the SD card via the free humminbird software. Place the card back in the unit in the boat and it instantly recognises the changes. Many prefer separate GPS and sounder, but when you are trying to stick to a budget which had already blown out for me, this unit was a perfect compromise.

I would not do any after market accessories, it's a lot of running around just to save a buck or two. Taking delivery of my new boat you will just want to put it in the drink, turn the key and having everything done from word go!

The main difference between the two models is that the triple 5 has similar to a pod, the engine is mounted on this. My previous boat had a transom replacement so I have become paranoid, I really like the idea of mounting the engine on the pod instead of bolting onto the transom. The other difference is a small ledge around the cabin you can walk around the outside, which I thought was significant when I purchased, but since feel too unsafe trying to get around my radio arials to use it. More cabin space in mine too I beleive.

Let us know how you get on.

Scalem

Quote Originally Posted by Tritto View Post
    As you said B4, I don't have rocket launchers, so where else do you put it? I also make sure that the light is angled straight up to give maximum visibility. and I keep an 800amp jump starter battery pack in the side pocket, it powers a 12 bar LED light positioned on the underside of my bimini. My boat is lit up like a Christmas tree at night, no risk of not seeing me that is for sure

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs7 View Post
    G/day Scalem

Mate i'm getting closer to deciding on yatla, just wondering if you got the hydraulic steering with yours and if you didnt if you think its worthwhile getting it.

thanks Scott
    Gidday Scott,

Not knowing the benefits of hydraulic, my rig is standard mechanical. Coming from my previous cable and cork with pulleys steering I didn't know the advantages . I am told the biggest enemy of mechanical steering is lack of use, is that right? I remember discounting that as a joke, lack of use? Fat chance of that happening!!

The one question I have had. If I got Hydraulic I wonder if my turning circle would have been a bit better?? She is a little less manouverable around boat ramps and such because of an average turning circle, but I usually give the revs a bit of a squirt and she usually comes around no problems. Situation normal on the plane and steering is light and never has me regretting staying with mechanical steering.

One more thing, just off the topic for a second. I bought a Karcher K 2.36 high pressure washer for mine ( coupled with a small water tank specifically for boat and cars)

The Yalta has a sticker on the drivers side windsreen that reads " Do not use chemicals and detergents" on the windscreen. The reason is that it is some kind off perspex and you need to be really carful what you use on it. So the salt gets blasted off with the Karcher, and chamois carefully padded dry. I don't wipe the chamois over the windcreen, only pat dry, avoiding scratches. I don't use soap on any of the main areas of the boat, only the s/s cleats and fittings. It all gets blasted off with the Karcher at safe distances so you don't destroy decals or rego stickers. The big B hardware store near you has this model for $148.00.

Sounds like you are close to a decision, let any of us know if you need more info, more than happy to help.

Scalem

Scalem

thanks again for your info, mate already got the Karcher!!!Is there any think else upgrade wise you would reccomend,also ive been looking at Baysport Boats do you know anyone who owns one or if you have any thoughts on them just trying to check everything before the final discission.

thanks again

Scott

As you said B4, I don't have rocket launchers, so where else do you put it? I also make sure that the light is angled straight up to give maximum visibility. and I keep an 800amp jump starter battery pack in the side pocket, it powers a 12 bar LED light positioned on the underside of my bimini. My boat is lit up like a Christmas tree at night, no risk of not seeing me that is for sure

Gidday Scott,

Not knowing the benefits of hydraulic, my rig is standard mechanical. Coming from my previous cable and cork with pulleys steering I didn't know the advantages . I am told the biggest enemy of mechanical steering is lack of use, is that right? I remember discounting that as a joke, lack of use? Fat chance of that happening!!

The one question I have had. If I got Hydraulic I wonder if my turning circle would have been a bit better?? She is a little less manouverable around boat ramps and such because of an average turning circle, but I usually give the revs a bit of a squirt and she usually comes around no problems. Situation normal on the plane and steering is light and never has me regretting staying with mechanical steering.

One more thing, just off the topic for a second. I bought a Karcher K 2.36 high pressure washer for mine ( coupled with a small water tank specifically for boat and cars)

The Yalta has a sticker on the drivers side windsreen that reads " Do not use chemicals and detergents" on the windscreen. The reason is that it is some kind off perspex and you need to be really carful what you use on it. So the salt gets blasted off with the Karcher, and chamois carefully padded dry. I don't wipe the chamois over the windcreen, only pat dry, avoiding scratches. I don't use soap on any of the main areas of the boat, only the s/s cleats and fittings. It all gets blasted off with the Karcher at safe distances so you don't destroy decals or rego stickers. The big B hardware store near you has this model for $148.00.

Sounds like you are close to a decision, let any of us know if you need more info, more than happy to help.

Scalem

bulldogs7,

re upgrades just ring the builder direct, he is a straight shooter and you will get all the answers. Extra Fuel, glass etc and motor HP. I know you will say he will sell his craft etc and of course he will.. but he will give you a different perspective which is very refreshing from MT. From what i got, he just wants to give a good value boat and of course you can ask for a special build....and spend some bucks.

A YAlta also can get very expensive once you start whacking on the nice bits and i reckon you will over capitalise it, saying that, a good rep if you dont as everyone loves them.. says something and i reckon they are right.
    Tangles KFC

Don't know anything about Baysport Boats... Sounds local are they? I'd do a search on this forum, maybe later if I get the time.

Good luck with your decision, you would have every bit of info of the Yalta now I would think

Scalem

Scalem

thanks again for your info, mate already got the Karcher!!!Is there any think else upgrade wise you would reccomend,also ive been looking at Baysport Boats do you know anyone who owns one or if you have any thoughts on them just trying to check everything before the final discission.

thanks again

Scott
    If I am not mistaken Baysport are the old Freedom range re named. The 595 Offshore looked pretty sexy. I have a 555 Yalta as well and am very happy with it. They are fairly rocky and tippy at rest but punch into the crap fairly well. For the money you pay for them they are good value IMO.
    cheers

I think a Yalta family day should be on the cards shortly hey,what do guys think.
    Cheers
    Kerrod

Quote Originally Posted by the lump View Post
    If I am not mistaken Baysport are the old Freedom range re named. The 595 Offshore looked pretty sexy. I have a 555 Yalta as well and am very happy with it. They are fairly rocky and tippy at rest but punch into the crap fairly well. For the money you pay for them they are good value IMO.
    cheers
    If that's the case, also a nice boat, I have looked over them quite closely, but some things were not exactly my taste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kdog View Post
    I think a Yalta family day should be on the cards shortly hey,what do guys think.
    That would be a success, should have a few takers, starting with me. I would check the rules with the mods/ Steve, but both the vendor and their agent have received a lot of airplay of their product, maybe they can throw some drinks or something toward the day. Just a thought ....

Put a post up in the M&G section with a link here, see who would be interested??

Scalem

scalem thanks for all your info mate i'll let you know shortly how i go !

Gents just 1 last question before i make my bloody mind up !!!!hey what are the internal measurements of the deck space i just looked at the Baysport today with my Boys they reckon the Yatla is heaps bigger inside fishing space im taliking about ?
    I think i owe everyone on this thread a beer after all your help the baysport is only 1750-1800wide inside and from the seats back not that much space as yatla i dont think

Quote Originally Posted by Getout View Post
    Can anyone tell me why the anchor light is mounted in such a ridiculous position??
    I look at some of the fitouts on trailerboats and shake my head!! These small things can become big things. You get what you pay for I guess.
    This where i put mine. Took me 20 mins. Ran the wiring through the tubing.

Scott
    What other people think about me is not my business: Michael J Fox.

Gents just 1 last question before i make my bloody mind up !!!!hey what are the internal measurements of the deck space i just looked at the Baysport today with my Boys they reckon the Yatla is heaps bigger inside fishing space im taliking about ?
    I think i owe everyone on this thread a beer after all your help the baysport is only 1750-1800wide inside and from the seats back not that much space as yatla i dont think
    Hmmm Carona or Crownie!!!

1st shot with tape measure taken just forward of side cushions around 1810 inside to inside.

Next shot taken inside to inside of side cushions balanced on the rear tie down strap and carpet protection piece

This shot taken to show the room for fishing once you take out the back seat boxes. Measures from the pedestal seat posts to the inside of the back cushion apprx 1950.

I bought these foam squares to lay on the bottom, covering up the clips that the seat boxes clip into. Slam your heel down on one of those clips while balancing yourself offshore and you will know why I bought the foam squares that interlock. Needs velcroe strips hot glued to the underneath to stop the squares moving around though

Yes I put pedestal seats in place of the glass box mounted seats. I preferred the adjustment you get of the pilot seat to slide the seat all the way back so I can stand up without the seat hitting the back of my thighs, and I can absorb the shock of the waves on choppy days with my legs and still drive comfortably.

The pedestal seats also give you more room to move around the deck. Who needs the glass boxes for storage anyway, there is enough around the place without cluttering deckspace under the seating.

Appologies if I am starting to Hijack this thread, so I Hope this is what you were after?

Scalem

scalem,

i think a carton of Carona will be on the cards!,hey if you dont mind me asking what did the pedastal seats and side padding cost i prefer your seats! mate thanks again for your quick replys while ive been deciding its always good to get feedback from someone who owns a yalta.

Cheers

Scott

Hmmm Carona or Crownie!!!

1st shot with tape measure taken just forward of side cushions around 1810 inside to inside.

Next shot taken inside to inside of side cushions balanced on the rear tie down strap and carpet protection piece

This shot taken to show the room for fishing once you take out the back seat boxes. Measures from the pedestal seat posts to the inside of the back cushion apprx 1950.

I bought these foam squares to lay on the bottom, covering up the clips that the seat boxes clip into. Slam your heel down on one of those clips while balancing yourself offshore and you will know why I bought the foam squares that interlock. Needs velcroe strips hot glued to the underneath to stop the squares moving around though

Yes I put pedestal seats in place of the glass box mounted seats. I preferred the adjustment you get of the pilot seat to slide the seat all the way back so I can stand up without the seat hitting the back of my thighs, and I can absorb the shock of the waves on choppy days with my legs and still drive comfortably.

The pedestal seats also give you more room to move around the deck. Who needs the glass boxes for storage anyway, there is enough around the place without cluttering deckspace under the seating.

Appologies if I am starting to Hijack this thread, so I Hope this is what you were after?

Scalem