Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Yalta Owners Club-aka-Roll Call

Re: Yalta Owners Club-aka-Roll Call

Trailer mods 101.

Take all of the wheels off and check the bearing and make sure everything is greased up appropriately.

If you have the strap and intend on wind the boat up the trailer it will need replacing after a short period go to Bias and get the large diameter spectra rope and a spare winch handle.

You should have some restrainer to stop the boat moving forward on the trailer. See the chain from the boat to the trailer photo.

All of the bolts on the mudguards are only zinc plated and will need to painted with silver kill rust or replaced with gal or stainless bolts while they can still be removed. see photo.

Most of the trailer bolts are only zinc plated and need painting as above.
    Buy a trailer lock of some description. see photo.

If you intend driving the boat on guides like the blue ones in the photo work well. See photo.

Be very wary of the disc rotors mine delaminated after about 2 years and I wash my trailer well after each use. See photo.

Most new trailers tend to be dry. Give it a liberal coat of either Tectal 506 or Lanox.

Watch your tyre pressures the tyres on most boat trailers are of dubious quality.

Check your trailer twice yearly and wash it after each use. Do not use normal detergents I use car wash with wax, which I use on the boat as well.

Easy.

Scott
    What other people think about me is not my business: Michael J Fox.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Scott. All this definately gives me a full day on the trailer. At least in this crappy weather I can get into it all now while it is still in new condition before the rust starts. I will let you know how I go. Is the Spectra rope stronger than the belt winch or just easier to use.

Cheers

Chris

[quote=Kdog;1114360]Gday All,

Due to the unrelenting pressure from Donny Boy, I thought I'd throw a couple pics of the Yalta 615.

By the way, Donny Boy did the slab for me, and he droped his mobile Ph while they were pouring the concrete,he never could find it again, even till this day we can still hear the occasional ring .

Stop it !! I'm blushing !!!

BTW...........That phone ringing............................It's for you..............
    Don.
    "Magpie Navy." VHF 73.

It was a Woman who drove me to Drink......
    ....and I never gave her money for the Petrol......

All you boaties, vanners or anybody else check your split pins in your
    new trailer hubs, I personally know of one case where a pin was missing.

4 wheel trailer under a big boat on the left hand side and the only thing that held the nut on was a burr on the thread.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

HI All

I suppose I should Post a Couple of Pics of My Yalta 535, seeing as there hasn't been one yet

It's a 2006 model with 115 Yammy 2 st, bought it at Sanc Cove Boat show 06, couldn't go past it - Great value boats.

Have since added Lowrance 525c Chartplotter/sounder, GME CD/MP3 Stereo,Outriggers, and most of the trailer repairs previously spoken about (my discs delaminated after 2 years too)

Also Had Custom cover made when i got the boat. it was expensive but nearly 4 years on and she still looks brand new every time i go out, so paid for itself.

Haven't had any problems with the rig at all, got 140hrs now and loved all of em.

Cheers

Cliffo

Gday Cliffo,

Mate, good to see you choose a Yalta, they certainly have a following don’t they. I reckon they are great value for money, and that tarp looks the goods Cliffo.
    Hope it was summer time when you took that first photo!!
    Cheers
    Kerrod

Quote Originally Posted by Tritto View Post
    Is the Spectra rope stronger than the belt winch or just easier to use.

Cheers

Chris
    Both

"BIAS

Cat No: 3825Dyneema (Spectra) Winch Rope 3000kgDyneema (Spectra) High Modulus Polyethylene Winch Rope. Incredibly strong, won’t strand or curl like wire. No build up like webbing with consequent power loss. Low stretch. 3000kg, 7mm diameter, 7 metres long, galvanised snap hook.$67.50"

Scott
    What other people think about me is not my business: Michael J Fox.

Thanks Scott, I will look into the Spectra.

Cliffo, good shots of the 535. Good angle on the first one, shows it off well.

Chris

Gents

nearly joining your club tosing up between 535 and 555 now have been looking at tournament boats to but as scalem mentioned more boat for your money with yatla and from what you all say sounds like a great boat.Do you think it is cheaper to get things like rocker launcher etc, put on after buying and what is the quality of the standard sounder MT provide i think the one quoted is garmin.has anyone put a kill tank in there yatla?

anyway thanks for info

scott

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs7 View Post
    Gents

nearly joining your club tosing up between 535 and 555 now have been looking at tournament boats to but as scalem mentioned more boat for your money with yatla and from what you all say sounds like a great boat.Do you think it is cheaper to get things like rocker launcher etc, put on after buying and what is the quality of the standard sounder MT provide i think the one quoted is garmin.has anyone put a kill tank in there yatla?

anyway thanks for info

scott
    Hi Scott,

It's very difficult to have both in a 6 mtr boat . It would be very hard to have an Under floor tank of 150 litrs and a kill tank which has to go somewhere, so if you look at my triple 5 you will see front and rear inspection ports which more or less show you the beginning and end of the tank, the inspection ports giving access to hose clamps. There is an area at the start of the cabin at floor level which is semi plumbed, there is a bung hole already there. I was toying with the idea of using this as my kill tank, but don't like the idea of having blood and scales running under my floorboards to eventually drain via the main bungs at the transom. Maybe a bilge pump and hose placed in this section will work but being up the front of the boat I expect a fair bit off sloshing around - too close to the bunk cushions according to my missus, so the whole idea has been squashed So after failing to get Santa to deliver a bigger esky for Christmas, my whinging may have gotten me my wish for my birthday coming up soon. The fish can bleed into a bucket for a few minutes before being released into the esky.

The standard sounder offering at MT was very "average" IMO, I upgraded to a combo which is the Humminbird 788ci. http://store.humminbird.com/products...063d8e2f61c204
    Very good colour graphics, very convenient having a split screen GPS and sounder while under way, and it has two SD card slots so programming my waypoints can be done on my computer, downloaded to the SD card via the free humminbird software. Place the card back in the unit in the boat and it instantly recognises the changes. Many prefer separate GPS and sounder, but when you are trying to stick to a budget which had already blown out for me, this unit was a perfect compromise.

I would not do any after market accessories, it's a lot of running around just to save a buck or two. Taking delivery of my new boat you will just want to put it in the drink, turn the key and having everything done from word go!

The main difference between the two models is that the triple 5 has similar to a pod, the engine is mounted on this. My previous boat had a transom replacement so I have become paranoid, I really like the idea of mounting the engine on the pod instead of bolting onto the transom. The other difference is a small ledge around the cabin you can walk around the outside, which I thought was significant when I purchased, but since feel too unsafe trying to get around my radio arials to use it. More cabin space in mine too I beleive.

Let us know how you get on.

Scalem

I supplied my own electronics, ( HDS10 and in hull P79 transducer and a Lowrance VHF radio and Pacific antennea ), because I didn't want the brands that they sell.

Marine Tune fitted it all for me, no dramas.

Just go out and get the gear that you want.

Cheers Mick.

Gday Scott,

Mate, Scalem has hit the nail on the head so to speak, If you can, pay the extra, and have the accessories fitted when purchasing the boat, plus the fact of knowing it will be done properly.
    Other wise it will cost you a lot extra to have them fitted at a latter date.
    Scott, I done what Mick did, and had MT fit all of the electronics, ie: HDS5, Lowrance gps, Duel batteries, Radios, extra lighting and a heap of other stuff, & I’m very happy with the outcome.
    Mate, we all have to work to a budget, it won’t be the end of the world if you can’t have every thing done at once.
    In the end Scott, I’m sure you will make the right decision, feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
    Goodluck.
    Cheers
    Kerrod

Scalem,Kdog and Mick
    thanks heaps gents for your info I'm slowly narrowing it all down i wonder if you blokes took as long as me to make your minds up when trying to keep the buget in toe but the sun is shinning as the wife is happy now with the triple 5 took her and the kids down to have a look at the other day.
    Scalem im not to concerned about kill tank already have huge tropical esky!
    I seen someone mentioned upgrade the trailer for about $800 is that just for extra rollers?
    Scalem thanks for the link to the GPS that pretty much what im after had a standard humminbird before worked ok and cheaper then spending 3k on one hey.
    anyway if you can think of anything else i should be looking at please point me in the right direction
    thanks heaps

scott

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogs7 View Post
    Scalem,Kdog and Mick
    thanks heaps gents for your info I'm slowly narrowing it all down i wonder if you blokes took as long as me to make your minds up when trying to keep the buget in toe but the sun is shinning as the wife is happy now with the triple 5 took her and the kids down to have a look at the other day.
    Scalem im not to concerned about kill tank already have huge tropical esky!
    I seen someone mentioned upgrade the trailer for about $800 is that just for extra rollers?
    Scalem thanks for the link to the GPS that pretty much what im after had a standard humminbird before worked ok and cheaper then spending 3k on one hey.
    anyway if you can think of anything else i should be looking at please point me in the right direction
    thanks heaps

scott
    No promblemo.

The trailer upgrade is from the Brooker to the Dunbier drive on which you can see here, even before her maiden voyage. If you have not seen my post called "Hissing Hubs" yet, don't be too concerned, I've sorted it, the newness of the brake shoes/caliper assembly comined with overtight bearing nuts caused too much heat. As SGBFish has suggested, even with the Dunbier, you should always check things over and spray your trailer with a rust inhibitor before her 1st dunking.

Scalem

Quote Originally Posted by Kdog View Post
    Hi Tritto,

One thing Tritto, if you plan on doing any early morning starts or overnighters, you may want to look at either raising the running / anchor light or mounting a small one on the rocket launchers.
    Can anyone tell me why the anchor light is mounted in such a ridiculous position??
    I look at some of the fitouts on trailerboats and shake my head!! These small things can become big things. You get what you pay for I guess.