View Poll Results: Would you share marks with newbie's??

Voters
139. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - share marks

49 35.25%
  • No - Not until I know them

90 64.75%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Giving away secret spots......????

Re: Giving away secret spots......????

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    Sometimes I sound out a bit of interesting ground and pull up to try in out then next thing you know there is 2 or 3 boats hanging around.
    I agree with you because i put it to the test a couple of weeks ago,stop some where that looked good and because my boat looks the part i had two other there within 20min.
    But on the other hand why not give out one or two old spots,just to give guys like me that have not caught any thing in the bay somewhere to start.

I often tell people where I caught a fish, mind you many of the places I fish are no secret.

But personally I f somone told me their secret spot I probablly wouldn't go to it anyway...

I enjoy the excitment of finding your own spot and have caught many good fish like this in areas I have just sussed out as "interesting".

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    Fishermen are like sheep
    I'd expand that to people in general are like sheep.
    Just take note of people lining up at traffic lights.
    They see a line and stand in it.
    Just a few of us are black sheep and been caste out of the crowd
    I love it
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

There seems to be an assumption prevalent throughout this thread, and others in the past, that because a boat/s pulls up in the vicinity the skipper/s has "flocked" to the position simply to follow the boat already there.

There is a likelihood, that if you are fishing an "interesting" spot, then others may also have found it interesting in the past and are simply returning, or that they just happen to be passing and have seen something of value on their sounder.

It does not always follow that just because you are in a spot first, that whoever arrives later is "following" you.

FWIW, I rarely fish near any other rigs except at spots that I can't avoid such as the 4 beacons, where I go to collect bait on my way to somewhere else.............I prefer my own company. I've tried Hutchies and other well known spots many a time, and the rigs on a drift, or motoring round looking for a spot, simply piss me off................I've even had 'em wrapped round my anchor warp Spots like that are reserved for mid-week in my book

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

I have to say that part of the "sport" is pouring over the charts and google earth, getting out there are checking out the locations for myself.

Sure I welcome information on a "likly spot" and am happy to give same ( for what its worth).

But just going blindly to a mark, has to be pointless.

It wouldn't even work in a supermarket......... 3rd bay from the front isle 3, second shel from the bottom.

What ever was there might have moved and from what I understand lots of theses spots if you are a few meters out on where you are casting, you are wasting your time.

Considering that it is not unreasonable to have a 5 meter GPS error on a given mark...... both on the mark given and the mark read.
    You could be somewhere arround 10 meters from the mark... quite likley more.

As said before, a mark is nothing more than a hint or a tip, more or less useless without some craft and observation.

cheers

I figure these days with so many people in the know of nearly every little spot that may produce a fish, that there are no secret spots, only those we wish to be protective of for our own future fishing. Reality is all of these protected spots are visited regularly by other people with similar wants to catch a fish. Whether they release it or not is a personal thing as it should be.

If someone asks me on a one to one basis where I would go for a fish I will tell them upfront with no bullshit. However I will not publicly broadcast any location as that is unfair to the fish that inhabit that spot. I do not care who the person is or what colour or creed they are, one to one I will share.

Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    I figure these days............................. that there are no secret spots, only those we wish to be protective of for our own future fishing.
    Reality is all of these protected spots are visited regularly by other people with similar wants to catch a fish. Whether they release it or not is a personal thing as it should be.

Jack.
    Bravo Jack,

No reasonable person would actually think that EVERY time they go to a mark, they're the sole possessors & custodians of that mark. Surely not ...
    Don.
    "Magpie Navy." VHF 73.

It was a Woman who drove me to Drink......
    ....and I never gave her money for the Petrol......

I used to spend a lot of time fishing LBG in the early 80,s and still do for a change. Its always funny when some young twit complains about" there secret spot" when you where fishing it at a time they weren't even a itch in there old mans sack I would doubt there is a "secret location" on the east coast on land or in a boat.

Its reports with time,date weather details that do the damage. Leigh

PS, Just because you didnt know of a spot doesnt mean that every one else didnt.

There are no secret spots........ unless of course you have a private pile of shopping trollies and besser bricks somewhere

cheers