View Poll Results: Do you ever forget to remove the pectoral fins?

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, usually

38 28.36%
  • No, never

33 24.63%
  • Sometimes

49 36.57%
  • I wasn't aware of this rule

14 10.45%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Pectoral fin removal - do you forget?

Re: Pectoral fin removal - do you forget?

Personaly I thing the law is a crock & wont be doing a damn thing, because anybody who is buying clipped fish will make damn sure thay don't get caught with em.
    they will almost certainly immediately process them or do something else like keep em at home and fillet them before they take em down the shop

if you were smart you would be doing your dastardly deeds in a place and at a time you were unlikly to be caught.

Hmmm how often do the DPI inspect fish shops and restaraunts.

I recon the chances of a restraunt beeing busted are zip.

If I was dodgy, i'd be backdooring restaraunts and delivering the goods to the owners home early in the morning........get my point.

Also there are some interesting fish that are clasified coral reef too.

moses perch is the best trap.

check the list in the boating guide.

cheers

i went onto the fisheries web site tonight to look at the list of fish that must have their wings clipped and to be honest i couldn't make heads or tails out of it.

they list eg. cod and groupers. then have exceptions. they didn't have spanish mackeral listed as far as i could see. i can't see a clear cut list of fish that must have their fin removed because it appears they keep contradicting themselves.. maybe it's not me and i'm not interperating the data correctly, but it looks very confusing.

the amount of fish i catch on a given trip i'm not going to sell to a fish and chip shop. thats my food for the next few weeks so i don't have to spend money.

Yeh it is pretty straight forward..... but you have to read

There is a table of reef fin fish... which give size & bag limit
    If it appears in the reef fin fish table it has to be fin clipped
    Then there is "schedule 2" which gives you all the common and scientific names of the fish covered by the table

Cod and gropers for instance.....all must be fin clipped except estuary cod (which isn't a reef fish).
    there is one size limit for cod and gropers... but there are some exceptions.

so
    all cod & gropers ( except estuary cod)
    all coral trout
    all emperors
    all fusaliliers
    all parot fishes
    all surgeon fishes
    all sweetlips all tropical snappers and sea perches ( including moses perch)
    all wrasse (know the difference between a parrot and a tusk fish )

must be fin clipped because thay are reef fin fish

spanis mac need to be fin clipped because they are a special case.

simple

cheers

Intersting thread, I never knew about this. Only been fishing up here for a couple of years. Does this apply every where ?????
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things