Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nagg wins The inagural Mondy Muster Mikooh award

Re: The inagural Mondy Muster Mikooh award

Hey Ben check out this link, it may come in handy if you want to return home with all your gear. You may even want to grab a couple to hang on vin and navi
    http://blog.pcnews.ro/2006/09/18/sel...ting-key-ring/

Talking Re: The inagural Mondy Muster Mikooh award

Mind you ...... The roads that we travelled , some of them were pretty damn shitehouse

Chris[/quote]

Yeh mate once you leave Sydeney the roads get a little rougher hey.

Turnbuckles are the go mate! Tie 'em down tight, good suspension and big wheels and tyres.

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    Mind you ...... The roads that we travelled , some of them were pretty damn shitehouse

Chris
    Yeh mate once you leave Sydeney the roads get a little rougher hey.

Turnbuckles are the go mate! Tie 'em down tight, good suspension and big wheels and tyres.[/quote]

Unfortunately Daryl ...... The worst roads were north of Goondiwindi But hey we choose this route in preference to the New England via Toowoomba ....... We do 16hours back from Awoonga Vs 16 hours to Mondy (New Eng Hwy) .......

I'm picking the trailer up today after its rebuild & will introduce a few turnbuckles. I've got a big trip (& then some) again in 6 weeks time ( Sydney to Proserpine ........ now thats a haul ......... all because if IBD

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thumbs up Re: The inagural Mondy Muster Mikooh award

Yeh mate turnbuckles are the go. Then a rope through the turnbuckle around the bollard to ensure the turnbuckle doesn't unwind.

Tie the mutha down! Tie the mutha down!
    Could be a song in that? .

So what was the go? The u bolts were rubbish or just gave up from movement probably hey?

When do you set up camp in Gods Country? You might as well it seems you spend no time in Sydney any way.

Quote Originally Posted by nipsta View Post
    when in novemebr are you planning ben im going the 8th till the 1th and i might get a few days out of the chief yet extra im trying anyway

hey simon, might be sneaking up that weekend also, let you know later, but no late nites ok.....

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    Yeh mate turnbuckles are the go. Then a rope through the turnbuckle around the bollard to ensure the turnbuckle doesn't unwind.

Tie the mutha down! Tie the mutha down! Could be a song in that? .

So what was the go? The u bolts were rubbish or just gave up from movement probably hey?

When do you set up camp in Gods Country? You might as well it seems you spend no time in Sydney any way.

Tie the mutha down ...... by Queen right !

Mate the U Bolts (both of them) sheared away .......... but lets face it , in 22 months - that boat & trailer has been towed around 18,000 km over some pretty bad roads ......... i'm going to do the U bolts on the axle soon

I'll be in Brisvegas in January

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi guys good to see more friendly banter between the IBD boys and girls.

As for those boat trailers well i think we have been getting rippeed off for ages. Nobody has been really testing them like IBD fisho's do so many haven't had to pick their game up.

I reckon boat and trailer companies have relied on the average person taking the boat out 2 times a year with the average trip being a 50km max round trip.

The amount of times i've heard of winches, supporting arms, axles etc etc bolts, D-shackles snapping off and even welds failing terribly is amazing and pretty unsafe.

A few people have ended up with boats flying upside down and have ended up on the side of the road lucky to be alive. Even with heavy duty trailers that cost an arm and a leg.

I' ve suggested many a time to Awoonga and Monduran to start up a boat storage area so we travelling anglers don't have to tow our boats back every month of few weeks. At the end of the day this will end up costing us thousands in fuel and repairs. If boats are stored we can then make more trips which will result in more money being spent at each dam. Good business.

For the bad luck Award my vote is split between Daryl & Nagg/Mightey Whitey.

Nagg and Mightey whitey lived the Aussie Dream - trips like this one are Gold well done guys it was a pleasure to finally catching up. Many more trips to come in the future.

Cheers Lyndon.

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingBarradise View Post
    Hi guys good to see more friendly banter between the IBD boys and girls.

As for those boat trailers well i think we have been getting rippeed off for ages. Nobody has been really testing them like IBD fisho's do so many haven't had to pick their game up.

I reckon boat and trailer companies have relied on the average person taking the boat out 2 times a year with the average trip being a 50km max round trip.

The amount of times i've heard of winches, supporting arms, axles etc etc bolts, D-shackles snapping off and even welds failing terribly is amazing and pretty unsafe.

A few people have ended up with boats flying upside down and have ended up on the side of the road lucky to be alive. Even with heavy duty trailers that cost an arm and a leg.

I' ve suggested many a time to Awoonga and Monduran to start up a boat storage area so we travelling anglers don't have to tow our boats back every month of few weeks. At the end of the day this will end up costing us thousands in fuel and repairs. If boats are stored we can then make more trips which will result in more money being spent at each dam. Good business.

For the bad luck Award my vote is split between Daryl & Nagg/Mightey Whitey.

Nagg and Mightey whitey lived the Aussie Dream - trips like this one are Gold well done guys it was a pleasure to finally catching up. Many more trips to come in the future.

Cheers Lyndon.
    Totally agree on the trailer issue Lyndon
    I had a trailer specially made ....... rated at 50% higher than required , with bigger wheels , springs , axle & box tube !
    Even with this ........ I've had a weld fail & the Winch post U bolts shear ........ + the inappropriate use of fragile plastic guards .......... Not good

As you said .....more appropriate for the few times a year boater than a traveling one
    Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Cool Re: Bloody Trailers

Yes! Even for mine it was difficult to find a trailer that had any credibility. I had to source one manufactured to heavier specs.

I suppose there are plenty who only go to the ramp down the road though and can't afford to spend a lot hey but the standard leaves a lot to be desired.

Nagg! I envy a bloke who has done so many fishing trips in a few months that he wears stuff out on a heavy duty trailer!

Poor Bastard! And it seems he is never home long. Just to do a few repairs.

The lucky bastard!

Maybe there is a market for some heavy duty poly guards Chris .

Mind you I will stick with the ol' checker plate

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    hey simon, might be sneaking up that weekend also, let you know later, but no late nites ok.....
    yeah no worries dean i wil have th better half and little one with me so ill fine yep keep informed we have camps right near the kitchen but powered sites this time ill be taking a fan ok catch ya soon

Sorry Guys & Gals, Almost forgot to vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After some serious thought i narrowed it down to two groups.

Daryl, Bloody lucky there! what a storey and just how much can happen, all in a short space of time, bloody lucky hey?

Nagg and Mighty Whitey, Well not everyone gets to travel;l through an African Safari park on their way to an IBD Clinic and not every one does a dive on to a boat ramp worth 9.7 as i am told, even if Whitey pushed him? and the trip home,----- bloody hell the things nightmares are made from.

(With this trailer failing and my trip to Faust starting in 5 days i have fitted chains to my winch post, one forward and one back, just to tie the Mutha down!!!!!)

The vote very very close,-----------but i will have to place it with Nagg and Mighty Whitey, bloody lucky!!!!!

Cheers,
    John.

Ok Guys & Girls,

It looks like most have cast their vote.....Nagg has a 4 point lead over Darylive....at this point I would say he is going to take home the Mikooh...
    Just to ensure that everyone has ample opportuinty to have their say, I'll leave voting open till 6:00PM today. So if your name is on the list on page 1, and is not in red, you have the rest of the day put your 2 bob in

On a side note, I took my boat round to a mates place yesterday arvo to rebuild the ally where the winch strap attaches to the front of the boat, as it had worn down a fair bit due to doing more K's on the trailer than in the water.....only to find that the horizontal part of the winch post (the piece that the winch actually bolts to) had 3 out of 4 welds cracked . We rebuilt it with a thicker back plate and gussets on each side....But it could quite easily ended in disaster half way to Awoonga on Saturday....So thanks Nagg, your troubles may have inadvertently saved me from the same fate!

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by mikooh View Post
    Ok Guys & Girls,

It looks like most have cast their vote.....Nagg has a 4 point lead over Darylive....at this point I would say he is going to take home the Mikooh...
    Just to ensure that everyone has ample opportuinty to have their say, I'll leave voting open till 6:00PM today. So if your name is on the list on page 1, and is not in red, you have the rest of the day put your 2 bob in

On a side note, I took my boat round to a mates place yesterday arvo to rebuild the ally where the winch strap attaches to the front of the boat, as it had worn down a fair bit due to doing more K's on the trailer than in the water.....only to find that the horizontal part of the winch post (the piece that the winch actually bolts to) had 3 out of 4 welds cracked . We rebuilt it with a thicker back plate and gussets on each side....But it could quite easily ended in disaster half way to Awoonga on Saturday....So thanks Nagg, your troubles may have inadvertently saved me from the same fate!

Mick
    Mick & everyone ......... The whole trailer thing was a bit of a wake up call & one which should be learnt from. I do a fair bit of prep work for these trips & we still almost came a cropper
    So my tips are .......
    Carry spare U bolts for your winch post & springs ( we had difficulty in obtaining the right size bolts in Sydney)
    Safety strap .... front & rear ....... or use turnbuckles
    Carry some thick rope ..... just in case
    Pump your spare tyre up

Bearings ( new yearly & repack 6 monthly) ..... I rebuild before each major trip.

Check welds

Winch cable ..... check it ( we broke 50mm webbing on the return from Awoonga last March .... 16 months old)

Anyhow ..... sounds basic & obvious , but keep it in mind

Cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Another tip- If using turnbuckles, put a lock nut on each one or they will come loose, no matter how tight you do them up!

Mick

Its now official...

NAGG takes home the MIKOOH for the 2008 Mondy Muster!!!

Congratulations Chris. A well deserved award.. and commiserations to the other entrants..theres always next year

Drop me a PM with your details and i'll send out the silverware

Mick