Thread: Some bass and an eel !!!

Some bass and an eel !!!

It seems as though the North Pine bass have finally ended their deepwater winter sulk and are starting to snoop around the edges of the dam once again. Thank goodness, metal slugs are effective but a little on the boring side, and my arms were sore from casting so hard.
    I hit them nice and early and was pleased to get slammed on the second cast. A Spro brought two smallish bass to the shore.
    The bites were a little slow so I whacked a slider onto a heavy jighead and threw it out a good way. Another nice little bass attacked it with wild runs this way and that.
    I also tried a 25gram slug just to see if any bass were still holding deep. After about the tenth cast it was picked up off the bottom but dropped a few seconds later.
    The last lure for the day was the trusty wobbler, one fish was dropped after fighting for a few seconds. I launched the small piece of metal back out and felt a good size thump while skipping it back very slowly. I slowed the retrieve right down but the fish lost interest. The lure was quickly cast back over where I guessed the fish would be and BAM !!! drag was pulling off my little reel in nice bursts. Gently gently up to the shore, this is when the fish usually go nuts after they spot the big ugly wide eyed human holding a fishing rod, so the drag was backed off a touch more.
    A big fat bronzey bass around 43 FL, obviously still holding it's winter fat.
    For the second week in a row I fouled hooked a boney bream. This one tried to wrestle a glassy vibe and lost.
    Three times I got snagged on an old piece of fishing line and luckily got my lures back. The last time I was standing on tippie toes in as deep as I could without filling my waders up, holding my rod high in one hand and a long forked branch in the other trying to shake my lure free. I noticed some slight movement at my feet and looked down to see what must have been a metre long eel slide right across my boots. I reckon if I was fishing bare foot like I was last week I would have launched out of the water and landed about fifty metres up the bank. I don't mind eels but I don't like them when they want to rub up against me like a cat.
    Looking forward to the weekend now....the fishing can only get better.
    I hope that eels gone.

Re: Some bass and an eel !!!

nice session lgm,,, im so looking forward to fishing up at npd round the end of october,,,hoping they are firing.. cheers bdowdy,,brett

Nice session. Havent seen a post from you in a while wondering what youd be getitng upto

Cam
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Quote Originally Posted by bdowdy View Post
    nice session lgm,,, im so looking forward to fishing up at npd round the end of october,,,hoping they are firing.. cheers bdowdy,,brett
    They'll be around mate, the hard time has finished now. Anyways I'll have a little word with the bass and make sure they put on a good show for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
    Nice session. Havent seen a post from you in a while wondering what youd be getitng upto

Cam
    Hey Cammy, little bit quiet out there of late. Didn't hit the place for a while as I got clobbered with the mongrel flu that was going around. For me not to go fishing I've got to be pretty sick. I'm going again probably Sunday morning if your interested.

Sunday morning would be great......if i wasnt working . Im actually running really low on money atm so i cant afford anything so i wont be bying any fishing gear,lures, or anything for a while. And probs wont be going fishing for a while either, except for this weekend im going flatty fishing with some old placcys i got left over from other sesh's.

Cam
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

mate i would love to get back into the bass,i have spent 40hrs on the water over winter and not raised a scale been very frustrating

Quote Originally Posted by warrior View Post
    mate i would love to get back into the bass,i have spent 40hrs on the water over winter and not raised a scale been very frustrating
    Real change of tactics to find them in the winter months. First you have to find where they're holding. At North Pine it usually means walking the bank to find deep water and casting heavy slugs out to try and hit the edge of the schools.
    I much prefer the warmer months, the fishings just that little bit easier.

LGM well done! ... that 43 looks like a fat fish chokkers with good tucker?
    Great catching up with you recently, will def. try to do a trip there with you, and then hit some fish in the Passage as well.
    On ya
    Barraboy
    " Fishing is not a hobby, a Hobby is something I do in my spare time! "