Thread: Orara River Bass

Orara River Bass

Hi all you Bass people, I hope this works.

I have mentioned the Orara River previously, and now, if the pic's work here it is.

Jarrod and myself were on the water this morning at 6.30a.m., Jarrod had his first fish of 29cm by 7.00a.m, he's the dark haired one, he also landed a smaller one about an hour later.
    I followed about five minutes later with a nice fish of 32cm.
    All three were released safely
    Not a lot of fish but we had a great time and it's a great spot.

Jarrod caught his first on a cicarta surface lure, and his second as the day heated up with a mans diving lure, don't ask me it's name as I haven't a clue.
    I kicked off the session with my favourite Bass lure, a beat up jitter bug, for no joy and later changed to a Jackle chubbie, for my fish.

Catching bass on this River at this time of year keeps us in anticipation for the coming summer.

I hope you enjoy the pic's

The Orara runs from the mountains behind Coffs Harbour and heads heads North to join the Clarence River at Eatonsville, near Grafton. It actually flows inland.
    Access is gained from a few spots along it's length or through private property.
    Canoes are a must as the banks are overgrown which inhibits bank fishing.

Rob T

Re: Orara River Bass

Nice pics Rob, that first one looks unreal!

Do you normally just do a day trip or do you go on extended trips- canoe and camp along the river?

Thanks for the read and pics,

Andrew

good stuff rob,, everytime i cross the orara on the way to sawtell down threw jackadgery way... i think id love to fish down here ONE DAY... might have to plan a trip soon when those cicadas go crazy.. cheers bdowdy..brett

Hi Andrew

Mate camping along the river is hard to get as most of it is closed in by private property.
    That first pic is just below the Golf Course where we put in the canoe, I have camped on a mates property and fished for two days, but normally fish just the one day. I only live about five minutes from the River.

Hi Brett

Mate the river running through Jackadgery is the Mann, and I believe it fishes reall well, especially if you're chasing those fish your not ment to chase, Eastern Cod.
    When the cicada's are humming the surface lures just go off, as I guess they would anywhere that you fish for Bass.
    Thanks for the reply guy's

Rob T

hi rob ,the second river after the mann is the orara i thought, it always looks a bit dirty compared to the mann at jackadgery.. you cross it not too far before coming into grafton...???. cheers bdowdy..brett.... p.s gotta love cod eastern or murry

Was down the back of my place this arvo and had a couple of followers and caught nothing for an hour,changed to a home made up style of spinnerbait and got five,lost four in the next twenty casts,does'nt happen often but a good time was had
    Du'oh,forgot to say good pics Rob,I gather the broken bridge is the old Coutts bridge?

Hi Breet

Yeh sorry mate your right, it is at Ramornie that you cross the Orara on the Gwyder Highway.
    I wasn't thinking about that

Akman1

Yeh there are a few smaller ones around up river, I know one bloke who caught half a dozen around the 25cm mark yesterday on bait.

It is the old Coutts bridge, do you live around here?

The photo's were taken using my phone, I would love to take the camera but won't risk it in a canoe.

Rob T

Nice pics Rob I am keen to have a crack at the bass this season not a fish I have targeted yet. Do you get many bigger models up the orara? When you fish from Coutts do you fish down stream and paddle back to the launch spot or do you launch and get picked up down stream?

Hi Coucho

Thanks mate

You won't go wrong targeting these mighty little fish, I believe that pound for pound, these are the best fighters I have encountered.
    We do get some up to 40cm+ but not a lot.

Depends on what part of the river we are fishing, on this trip we run down stream and paddled back up the hill coming home.
    There is a good section further up where you paddle up from launch and drift back home. I do have an electric for my canoe but the mate does not on his so we had to do a bit of work.

I believe it's a good run from Corumba down to Nanna Glen, but you would need somebody to pick you up.

Long stretch's aren't always available due to the amount of shallows and timber in the river, so if you do decide to do a long trip you have to get out of the canoe a fare bit.

Cheers
    Rob T

Hiya Rob,I have for most of my life lived in this area(My great grandfather used to run the punt across the Nymboida before they built the bridge)but yeah I live halfway between Nana Glen & Glenreagh approx 7hrs fishing each way between towns. tonite would have been good to fish as the bug light has'nt stopped all arvo but work gets in the way

Akman1,
    you would know way more than i do about this river, you should be passing on the info these guy's want, especially down your way.

I don't fish it that often, but when I do it is magnificant.

I have heard that if you put in down around Nanna Glen and get picked up at Glenreigh, you should cross some beautifull fishing ground and latch on to some nice Bass.

I have also been told that the SPOTTED Perch (Eastern Cod) in the Nymboida are equal to the Murry Cod, yet to catch one even if not targeting them, as that would be illeagal. Apparently they are also in the Orara, yet to hav that proven

Rob T