Thread: Goodmorning Blacks

Goodmorning Blacks

Slipped onto Blacks Weir thismorning for a quick sesh.

I initially felt a bit doubtful with no activity to be seen or heard but things picked up once the sun poked out to warm things up somewhat.

Stuck with HBs today, namely Classics which scored a couple of little fellas and a bigger model that released itself boatside as I was trying to get a lipgrip.

I keep omitting the net because it doesn't really fit anywhere and makes the boat look untidy. As it is I have a paddle out with which I use to 'control my drift'- ( because I don't have the bow mount yet )- and that annoys me enough. But I think I'd be wiser to start taking it from now on.

Missed plenty of strikes that will only keep me going back to catch'em next time.

Cheers, Andrew

Re: Goodmorning Blacks

nice chunky fish andy, geez they must tag some fish up that way your always catching tagged fish bud... good stuff..cheers bdowdy..brett

Cheers Brett.

Oh yeah, I was going to ask- Was it any of us Townsville Ausfishers in the orange sit on top kayak on the weir thismorning? ( launched at the Rowing Club )

Andrew

Good to see your still getting out and landing a few from the fresh. you make it sound easy.

Cheers
    Josh

Nice work.

Good to hear reports of more fish being caught up there. It sounds like they are starting to live'n up a bit now.

Cheers,
    Roo.

Still can't get onto the big girls though.

I'm fitting the sounder this week so I'm hoping that my chances will improve with the extra aid.

hey mate, did you send the tag details in, it looks like the last lot we released - shows they are eating well then and not having trouble going into a natural enviroment. Just fishing the weeds ?
    i have only found the sounder of much use to find thermoclines in the weir and deep holes, due to the amount of weed, failing that if you want serious fish, live bait at night.

rhyce
    scretary twin cities fish stocking society

Thumbs up Re: Goodmorning Blacks

G'day Andrew yes thats me on the orange Yak. I've sored a couple of fish over the last week. The biggest being 84cm..Missed a hell of a lot more which is usually the case chucking fizzers around, however those suface strikes next to the yak are just as fun as hooking up. The Barra don't seem to be in full swing as yet as i have been pulling them out from under the lilly pads and it taken a fair amount of repetative casts in the one area to draw them out. I'm banking that the BOOFING sessions twilight and dawn are about to happen at the drop of a hat. where you fishing near the weir or upstream towards the dam I've been fishing from the Bridge to the feeder creek upstrem of Apex park, Some of those spots aren't the best on the weekends though due to ski boats etc....

I've noticed quite a few Barra boats on the upper Ross of late so lets hear if you done any good.. Also hows Gleesons going the water is generally shallower with some rock bars in the system which all leads to warmer water, combined with a fair amount of fish going over blacks weir last summer mmmmm may have to find a suitable launch spot for the yak in that patch....

G'day Rhyce,

Yeh, live bait will definately do it but it feels like I'm cheating. I much prefer the challenge of using artificials.

fishsmith, yep, I'm with ya on the repetative casting at the one spot. Lily pads with a weed bank beneath and extending out from has been the most productive environment for me the last few trips. Only managed two strikes thismorning with no hookups. I've been concentrating upriver from the ramp but I might try back towards the weir next time.

Cheers, Andrew

Hey Andrew

If ya need an offsider one morn, i'd love to tag along to learn some of the freshwater HB fishing techniques from you, even if i do get stuck with the oars to keep you on a good drift.....

Cheers
    Josh

Josh,

I've still got my training wheels on myself as far as this body of water goes but you're welcome to tag along one morning for sure. I can't guarantee you a fish but we definately won't catch'em just talking about it!

Andrew

Nice fish there Andrew,

Great to see that you use a towel to minimise damage to the fish. Great stuff mate.