Thread: Another Ord Fish (at last!)

Another Ord Fish (at last!)

Been pretty lean for me since early July. Plenty of trips but no takers, such are the vagaries of the river, when you're off key you may as well fish in in a bucket.

Always knew it'd turn around but 'when' was seeming never for a long while. Finally got some joy last night, got on the river about 9:30pm with the moon just peaking up, had a particular place in mind that holds fish early in the season.

Just to test the water I used a F18 for a while but nothing was interested. Pulled out the next option, (this goes back to an idea that was sitting in my head for a while. Was in Broome last weekend and picked up a couple of DD 190 laser pros) bolted on the sucker and launched it down river. About the third cast it got bitten, I was that shocked I finally got a hit I nearly forgot what I was supposed to do. Fish ran upstream boiling next to the boat as it passed me, then hit the accelerator. It ran up along the edge of a weed bank I was anchored on. the further up it got the less angle I had to play with but to move the boat meant ripping up the anchor that was sitting on top of the weed bank. Whilst pondering what to do and with line still coming off the reel the fish found something sharp and that was that.

Realised then that was the only laser pro I had on me so downsized to to a 150 scorp with the big bucket bib and a few more casts and got got treated to see a fish hit the lure a rod span from the boat, big silver flash in the moonlight as the fish turned away with a mouth full of hooks. (Must say that and seeing one jump in the moonlight are the best visuals you'll ever see in barra fishing). Got the process right this time and made no mistakes, not a big fish at 92 but made me happy.

Slept in the boat and got woken about 3:00am by a boof echoing up through the hull. had another cast or twenty and the same at dawn but the fish wern't interested. No matter job was done, though would have liked to see what grabbed to laser

Re: Another Ord Fish (at last!)

nice fish dick.were you above the ivanhoe crossing or above???
    jim

Downstream Jim, near the D4

Thanks for another thread Dick.

I, like you, think an airborne barra at night is a true sight to see. Magnificent stuff!!!! You will have to go back and find the fish that took your laser.....

Cheers
    Matt

I like the Scorps in that colour pattern, but the Barra seem to like'm more- they keep takin'em off me.

Thanks for the read Dick

Andrew.

thanks for the report Dick, that first photo is a cracker.
    Just starting to warm up over this side of town to mate, looks like a big season in front of us all!

cheers
    brian

that first photo is a cracker.

sink the fish, make sure the ripples are gone and shoot. Head shots from above are a good look as well, see pic of different fish

Another great report Dick thanks.

Sounds like the mozzies aren't too bad over your way yet e.g. sleeping on the boat... Waking up to the sound of barra boofing must be the quickest heart starter of all time. Like 10 shots of coffee at once!!!

Excellent photo's as well, we can't get enough barra photo's on here.
    Cheers Lyndon

On things that bite in the dark

At that location on the on the western bank is just a bit of sand. There's some little sucker that lives in there that can't be felt but chooses to nibble around the undie line and... if they can get inside they go for it in there as well. Sandflies with the most potent bite and unerring sense of where to bite I've ever suffered. The bites hang around for at least a week.