Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fingermark tips

Re: fingermark tips

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman View Post
    Golden Snapper is the name issued by csiro as the standard name for this species in Australia so there is no confusion trying to market all the above names. Lots of other fish species have new names.
    was only talking about that tonite while out chasing them, & both of us agreed that was probley the case.
    fingermark sound so much better.

ron.
    reels screamin aboard Hyper- Active

i think ya cant beat fresh spanish mac triangle on a 7'0 tuna circal on a 150kg leader attached to a hand line full of vb cord. you can stop the 8kg+ ones then and ya can skull drag the big black jews up so ya can get ya bait back down quick. i recon mac fillets work heaps better than fresh squid.
    figjam :wink:

nugg

sorry mate but nothing beats LIVE squid for fingermark.
    sure u can catch them on other bait(live), we dont have the huge numbers that the nt has, up here if u r not using live baits u r not in the game.so many times i have gone out & using live greenback herring sitting there & catching nothing, than a squid swims up, straight to the bottom he goes & most times does not last 10 mins & bang fingermark.

nugg

is that the way u fish for them, if so how do u go on them?

ron.

Hey Ron,

Thanks for your ripper of a post. Very helpful to someone trying to get amoungst some good fish. Without giving away too much, can you get onto some good fingermark in the bay around Maggie? I have just bought a 5 meter Quinny and am getting my sea courage. Going to start making a few night trips leading into and through summer hoping to get a few fingermarks. Can you get onto some good fish in relatively close?
    Thanks again for your post.
    Cheers

pryort

mate i only got a quinnie 4.4mtr flat bottom, & dont even go past maggie!
    it's hard sometimes due to the weather,but try to get out as much as possible.
    the way i have found most of my marks is from trolling (eyes glued to the sounder).
    a mate went out last night & scored 1... 60cm finger on live greenback herring, on the same mark where scott & i were fishing the other night, the same mark where scott hooked a 20-25kg gt!

ron.

Quote Originally Posted by ronnien View Post
    nugg

sorry mate but nothing beats LIVE squid for fingermark.
    sure u can catch them on other bait(live), we dont have the huge numbers that the nt has, up here if u r not using live baits u r not in the game.so many times i have gone out & using live greenback herring sitting there & catching nothing, than a squid swims up, straight to the bottom he goes & most times does not last 10 mins & bang fingermark.

nugg

is that the way u fish for them, if so how do u go on them?

ron.
    yer thats how i use to catch them working on reef boats up north, we'd use lots of different baits to catch them, but i still recon ya cant beet fresh mac. when we hit a good patch, we would get well over 50 in a night and heaps of black jew and lots of trickys but ya no when ya got one on hay, i recon a 8kg golden pulls harder than a 30kg black jew, eazy. i allso found that they love big live bannana prawns but its so hard to use them as bait because they taste so good hehe. every time i put a live squid out a mac or a shark would eat it or a bloody big jew but all the stonker goldens were sucked with mac fillets.

nugg

whereabouts up north, qld or the nt? im guessing the nt?

ron.

yer darwin nt. we get hundeds of them on a big reef at the top of melvill and bathast island and heaps from fog bay and dundie beach and heaps out of bynoe harbor, but that reef up melvill is the the mecka for them, it just sucked when the sharks set in or ya get a hungry groper that steels all the golden ones and my tasty red throtes and tricky snapper from my lines. we drop the mack triangles down on a patanoska rig and jig the bait like a plastic, i gess you could call it drop shoting but with bait, and just wait for ya arm to be ripped off. but not setting the with a strike, ya let the fish hook them selfs as the tuna circals do a awsome job by them selfs, ya just wait for the weight then try and rip them in befor something elce gets it.

awesome mate, up here it's a bit different although we have some good numbers but nothing like that. but we have what you would call "trophy sized fish" (huge).
    anything up to 8kg are just school size & than there's the ten+ kg ones, got a 11kg finger in 10mtrs of water fishing on a good lump, nothing i have ever caught has put up a harder fight than that. he wanted down & i wanted up very hard work, knowing that it all could be over in a split second.
    the same night i got busted off twice on much much bigger ones.

ron.

i can tell ya love em hehe so do i. i just can belive how hard they pull hay, awsome fish. 11kg is a monster efort to land. i bet you were smiling for months after. my biggest 10kg but my skipper got a 14kg and its the only fish iv seen him have trubble with, it was awsome to watch and will never forget it.