Thread: The Complete Ausie guide to Digital Photography

The Complete Ausie guide to Digital Photography

Yep buy more photogrphy mags nowdays than Fishing mags..last night prior to heading into work i stopped by the local newsagency see which new mags had arrive so picked up "Australian Digital Photography" and some other magazine i thought was Australian also only to get to work and find it was an English publication and mostly full of adds ..
    Cut a story short i took it back and the lady behind the counter was kind enough to refund which i purchased anothery in its place 50% dearer than the one i returned..
    Just sat down for a feed in the cribroom and had a quick squizz through this mag and had to get back here and tell anyone interested to head down to your local newsagency and purchase it prior to it selling out ..
    In all the years of purchasing Photography Magazines mainly for whats new on the market and what i can learn out of them??? and in most cases being dissapointed due to the amopunt of adds!!, i have to confess this one is by far the best!!!..
    164 pages of advice from levels, Curves,sharpening , Kevs favourite HDR , how to and what its all about to the knobs n doohickies in most DSLR's to printing and setting up your monitor..
    One magazine which wont go onto the mag heap but will get filed away fer sure ...$14.95 Mindya but for my two bobs worth its $$ well spent( maybe the first time ever for a magazine lol....Especially $14.95 ....
    Cheers

Re: The Complete Ausie guide to Digital Photography

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Y

Kevs favourite HDR ,

Cheers
    Writing from the laptop. I'll be getting plenty of practice at it mate. Just tried to reload xp home edition 'cause the helpfile was missing. I got a message saying a newer version had been installed (that bloody computer shop must have done it, when it went in for a new video card and more memory!) Would I like to revert? but I would lose settings, my documents etc if I did. I thought, "oh oh! I better leave it be" then got distracted and hit the bloody yes button

I've lost everything..................all I've got on the computer is windows. All the programmes are there on the hard drive but windows can't access them. I've had to delete the lot and am now backing up from my backup drive that hasn't been touched since may

Most of the pics on my web page (in my sig) were put there since May and all I've got left of 'em is the original raw files which cover 5 dvd's......no mean feat to re-process the whole bloody lot!

To add insult to injury a stock library wanted a pic of mine...........one of the deleted ones, and it had a 24hr deadline..............no chance..................it'll take all night to backup

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh Computers mmmmmmm will make life easier for us all..................... crap!

Yep I've been there, worked on documents and then the file was corrupted when I wanted to open it up again later..................... "not happy jan"

I think that I will go back to printing all my photos out "the old fashioned way" and then keep the dvd separate from the computer.

A mate told me that Linux was the only way to go ???? never chased up his theory, he reckoned that that buying your computer with windows on it was like buying a car...... you can get a good deal when you buy it, but then when something goes drastically wrong (like a uni assignment that is due in the morning.....and now windows tells me it's corrupted)

It is now that the extra money is made from that saving you made when you bought the computer, all the fixing and reinstalling and updating are like servicing the car, except that in most instances you can't do it yourself

I use computers, but I don't really like em, especially when ya get a little message box that says "corrupted file"...........................................
    Cheers Garry

A bad day fishing, beats a good day at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feel your pain mate and especially with work such as yourve been showing us..Happened once!! here and no more !!, went n bought a 500gig external hardrive where i back up to and all original files as well as edited files get backed up to DVD's. Know it takes yonks to go through a DVD with so many raw files as well as edited but you always have them..
    All Pic sof value(to me) get backed up onto disk twice and stored in seperate places or CD folders..
    Ive been running a laptop for all my work for years and have been looking at getting a desktop with abit of wooomph but here in happyrock prices are way dearer than the City(Brisbane) wher me thinks my next PC will be comming from..
    hardly Normans are ALWAYS!!!! having a sale her as they are this weekend and one would think they knew hardly Norman well enough by now to believe the Moomooshyte!!..
    Plan to have a go at HDR shortly myself but had a squizz at some pics one foramite member(Pentax) uploaded using the multi exposure mode for night time scenes and left me mouth agape so been into my K10D sussing this so called mode out???..
    Next time i'm down by the Marina maybe ..
    Hope you get your problemo sorted out mate..Dont suppose you could have retrieved some or most those files could you??...
    Cheers

C'mon mate , surely yourve fixed that puter by now??..Want to know how your file recovery went???...
    Get those Pics back??..
    Cheers

C'mon mate , surely yourve fixed that puter by now??..Want to know how your file recovery went???...
    Get those Pics back??..
    Cheers
    I'm back....................just

Just got back from a week on the Tweed and had forgotten all about the 'puter needing sorting

I'm on the laptop atm after just re-formatting the desktop. Dunno what i did when I tried to sort it before I went, but it wouldn't load windows at all when I fired it up yesterday and wouldn't let me repair or new setup, so I had to re-format. I'm waiting whilst it loads 22 windows updates and all my spyware and virus updates

Rescued everything since before May, but lost all the processed pics, although I still have the RAW files on cd's. I'll just have to process them all again as low res versions are already on a stock library and I might be called upon to supply a high res processed version. I may have to delete most from the library as I don't know if I can produce exactly the same results as when I originally processed them.

Still,............. I enjoy processing anyways, and I've bugger all better to do

We live and learn.................I shall back up on a weekly basis in future.

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Life's full of that(livin n learning lol) aint it..Trouble is some mistakes hurt..
    Looking at getting a new desktop early next year come the new processor ive heard of and will set the PC up especially for Photoshop at least via a good friend that knows a tad more about PC's than i do lol..Enough of everything so it boogies when editing pics..A monitor thats set up in the one position so the edits and colours are always as i see them. As well as (Hopefully, fingers croosed , all going well and whatever ya wanna add to the list a "Monitor calibration tool"that hangs off the moitor and automatically calibrates it..You have one???..
    And who knows if the market keeps downsliding the way it is and Canon, Nikon etc keeps bringing out new models at the rate they are doing a D700 might be something worth$$wise a play around with ???....
    Not that i aint happy with my K10D that is ...
    Keep at it ,you have some nice work there..
    Cheers

.A monitor thats set up in the one position so the edits and colours are always as i see them. As well as (Hopefully, fingers croosed , all going well and whatever ya wanna add to the list a "Monitor calibration tool"that hangs off the moitor and automatically calibrates it..You have one???..
    And who knows if the market keeps downsliding the way it is and Canon, Nikon etc keeps bringing out new models at the rate they are doing a D700 might be something worth$$wise a play around with ???....
    Not that i aint happy with my K10D that is ...
    Keep at it ,you have some nice work there..
    Cheers
    Thanks mate.

Yeah, colour calibration is a major worry...................I'm a born worrier anyway

I often wonder if others see my pics as I do, particularly when it involves actually selling the buggers. Redbubble have all their monitors and printers calibrated to the Kodac Colour Card so I bought one for a few bucks off them, and my monitor is calibrated to that. Not much good though if the general (buying) public don't have their monitors calibrated correctly, but I do it for fun, not for sales, so no big deal. I've sold quite a few cards and just had my first sale of a large mounted print "Passing Rain Storm - Hervey Bay Sunset.........." I think it's nothing special, but art is subjective and there's no accounting for taste

With regards to buying new gear...............the bottom has fell out of the Aussie dollar and where I once considered buying abroad, I think I may have to reconsider in future as I have found a good supplier in Brizzy who compares very favourably with Hong Kong and US prices with the upside of not worrying about an International warranty.

kev

Dont think its wiseto be buying camera gear fer a wee while here as i heard all prices are going up by 20 to 30%????...Dont know how true this is but there goes any notion of a D700 for awhile(sigh)..
    Couple for ya right n your department Kev tell me whatcha think??..
    Spot the photogrpher in the second image lol..