Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Innaugural Mondy Muster 2008 - Barra, Beer, and a Barrel of laughs

Innaugural Mondy Muster 2008 - Barra, Beer, and a Barrel of laughs

I got home from the Monday Muster this arvo, and have to say it was nothing short of fantastic.

I'm not sure of the exact number there, however I think the final roll call is around 30 Ausfishers, and what a fun crew to have around a campfire. Top people, top weather, and I have sore ribs from the bad jokes and yarns

I turned up late Friday afternoon and wandered up to the camp kitched where a bunch of the guys had allready set up camp, after putting some faces to names and setting up camp I decided to take the lazy approach and hang around camp with a few lazy ales and save the energy for the next day on the water. To cut a very long story a little bit shorter the few ales turned into a fair few and at 2:30 decided to hit the swag to get a little shut-eye.

As Les (McCod) and myself were both fishing solo Les suggested we share a boat the next day and as I enjoy a bit of company on the water I gladly accepted. We were both of the school of thought that a casual gentlemans hours start would be the go, which would give the water a little time to warm up, and our heads to clear a bit

Saturday morning we headed into Gin Gin to replenish supplies and dropped in to see Foxie. After having given up on plastics for Barra after many unsuccessfull attempts I succumbed to grabbing a packet of Hard Nose placcies after getting the nod from Les on them being a good choice for the Barra.

We launched Les's Skeeter around 10:30 ish and headed up the dam at a speed I estimate to be around Mach 2 At this point I have allready mentally declared the day a top trip as this beat Dreamworld in the fun stakes!

Warning - my report follows in the Ben Hur tradition of the Mondy Muster

==== Fishing report begins here =====

At around 10:40 Les had a good hit although unfortunately the hook didn't set.

My next cast out with a weedless white Hard nose was slammed in about 3 feet of water by a frieght train, no need to set the hook as this fish wanted that plastic and wasn't going to give it back!

At this stage I started to get a little nervous as I usually fish with 50lb braid and 80lb leader for casting in the sticks, although after hearing Les and Steve talking about lighter line being fine in the sticks if you back the drag right off I had decided to stick with 20lb Nitlon on the new Zillion and backed the drag off to about 2-3 kilos. This felt completely alien to me however I felt like living dangerously

I quickly brought in the slack as what appeared to be a decent sized Barra promptly went airborn and was head shaking like mad to try and get rid of the lure. This fish was not happy to have a hook deep down it's throat and put up the most spectacular fight of any Barra I have ever landed.

It fought dirty, the fight was probably over in about 2 minutes although it seemed like two hours as time stood still while I tried to stop this fish that was obviously over a meter from taking my dental floss like line under the boat, around the electric, around trees, and tail walking while shaking it's bucket mouth with flared gills madly!

However this fish had it's own plans, it's tactics included wrapping the line around the electric - I put the reel into free spool while Les raised the leccy and unwound the line - phew first disaster avoided!

After about 3 more lots of arial tail dances the fish decides it wanted to go under the boat, I tight the drag up just a tiny touch and managed to bring her out. Still not ready to give in the fish then decided to take me around the motor! After a very nervous 10 minutes (ok it was probably 5 seconds) I manged to get the fish around the massive etec while my Loomis MBR784 was doing it's best to imitate a definite U shape.

Phew thinks I, but no this fish still has more dirty tricks, so around a tree it heads while Les skillfully moves the boat back so I can pass the rod around the tree

I better get to the point I suppose! Basically a few more arials (5 or 6 massive arials all up) and another frantic dive under the boat (this fish obviously doesn't like purple people eater boats!) and another trip or two around the outboard plus another lap right around the boat she finally decided enough was enough and slid gracefully into the net skillfully placed there at just the right moment by Les!

After watching Les' arm dissapear up to the elbow down the big girls throat to retrieve the plastic Les picks her up and she decides she's still not ready to lay down! The outcome of this is the first spine of the dorsal has left a rather long track mark up Les' bicep which last time I saw was a rather interesting shade of green - talk about taking one for the team!

Quickly on to the brag mat for a photo to have a shot at the Inaugural Mondy Muster trophey and she measures at 112cm - a new personal best, on a new reel, and only on 20lb!!!! Woohoooo!

Onto my lap she goes for a quick photo and back into the water quick smart she only sat there for about 20 seconds before racing back of to her snag to figure out what the heck just happened.

When I eventually stop shaking and my heart rate slows down a bit Les gives me a grin and says "mate - you could be in for a shot at the Mondy Muster trophy here mate"

The rest of the day was very quiet and the fish certainly were playing hard to get, there was plenty of bait around and we threw a few different plastics and lures but no interest so the alarm on the Skeeter goes at 5:30 to signal beer o'clock! After a much appreciated refreshing ale we fished a few more bays, ending up in a tiny long bay throwing plastics down a long alley into very shallow water only about a foot or 2 deep.

Les came up tight on a Barra which had no choice but to swim for the exit unless it wanted to swim on land. It went arial and we were both packing it as the leader was very cleary wrapped around it's gill rakers! Les backs the drag off and to my astonishment manages to lead the fish to the net - phew, this man knows how to fish!

She measured around 95cm and Les had her straight back in the water as he had allready caught 4 the previous day.

Having had a thoroughly enjoyable day on the water we decided to call it a day and head back to camp. This didn't take long as Les decided to open the throttle up and show me what this gorgeous boat is capable of - I had a silly grin on my face all day, not sure if it was the new PB or the thrill of the ride, a bit of both I'd say!

A huge thank you to Les for the day out and for the much appreciated advice. You'd be hard pushed to meet a nicer gentleman!

Phew sorry about the big spiel - If you can't tell I had an awesome day

Cheers
    Tony

Re: Innaugural Mondy Muster 2008 - Barra, Beer, and a Barrel of laughs

and so my pain begins - nice one Tony, 112 is a great fish on 20 from up there, especially when they are getting a bit of air on you

Forgot to mention - I'll post up some pics once I get the photos from Les (who's probably getting some much needed sleep)

We were back at camp before dark and had a few hours to kill untill the comp finished at 9pm. Whilst this fish was a new PB for me, and the most exciting barra I've ever landed (especially in the sticks throwing rubber on 20lb with a 60lb leader!) I figured Les was being nice when he said I was in with a chance!

So the next few hours we had a few ales awaiting the other boys to straggle back into camp.

I'll let the other guys pick up from here with their reports - all I'll say there were a few fish landed but they were playing very hard to get!

I don't think the report will get up to 1500 posts, but I do know there's a heck of a lot of good stories to come out of this trip!

Cheers
    Tony

Gee'swhere do I start (hic)....Firstly and rightly......Congratulations to Tony as the winner ..QUEENSLANDER what a perfect day for Tony....He has a PB $1.12 caught using 20lb line with a new reel on a s/plastic and a fantastic day on the water with Les (McBarra)on the Mozzie now if the capture had of been caught on video would have been just perfect.....We met up with Les at Foxies and he was on his way home....Les soon changed his mind and stayed for a couple of days extra...it was great to have Les around...I know Tony appreciated it....Now for my story I didn't do too well had dealing with 2 Barra but unfortunatedly they were both dead...It goes down hill from there..they were the only Barra I saw...not even a Monduran Trout......Strangly enough the son and I had a beaut day in the Great Outdoors...thats the way it goes with Barra and the bloke holding the rod..We know it will Rock a little later on....Congtats again Tony and to u Brian on the win and not to mention MOM award well done mate......It was Great to meet everyone and Thanks to Foxie and SteveB for their company Saturday night I suspect Steve won't remember much of it (Great Mondy CD Steve would love a copy)....can't wait to read the rest of the reports....Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    and so my pain begins - nice one Tony, 112 is a great fish on 20 from up there, especially when they are getting a bit of air on you
    Ditto..............

Pics, pics - I need pics to feed my addiction......where are they?

BTW TonyM, that was one of the best descriptions I have read about the trials and tribulations of landing a barra. Felt like I was there with you.....

Thumbs up Re: Innaugural Mondy Muster 2008 - Barra, Beer, and a Barrel of laughs

Hi Ausfisho's
    Been a long time since had a look on here...... but should be on more often from now on! The muster was a great week end and it was great to catch up with some top blokes! Congratulations Tony on the PB & taking home the innaugural trophy....... needed 2 bottles of V just to get home
    Heres a few picks of the show.
    Catch ya's up soon eh!

Cheers Les

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Lovely silver fish

Thanks Les,

Great to see you back on here mate! I bet you slept well last night.

I was more than a little glad I snuck off to bed at midnight, there's no sleeping in when you set your swag up next to the camp kitchen!

Thanks again for your company and advice on Saturday - I hope I can repay the favour soon!

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Lovely silver fish
    It still amazes me how much the Barra can differ in colour. There was a great post (on Sweetwater I think) showing about half a dozen different colours and that's just the freshwater ones!

p.s. Congratulations on Man of the Match in the Footy final Brian - well done!

Cheers
    Tony

Where we were camped it sounded like you guy's had fun. And nice fish

Well done tony, top report and great fish great to have met you and will definatly catch up again,, Les, thanks for keeping me up all nite and the helpful advice,will see you up there next time...
    deano..

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    Gee'swhere do I start (hic)....Firstly and rightly......Congratulations to Tony as the winner ..QUEENSLANDER what a perfect day for Tony....He has a PB $1.12 caught using 20lb line with a new reel on a s/plastic and a fantastic day on the water with Les (McBarra)on the Mozzie now if the capture had of been caught on video would have been just perfect.....
    hehe and my throat is still sore from the worlds shortest victory speech Whitto QUEENSLANDER!!!!

After Naggs 45 minute intro I thought I'd better be quick so I could get back to the Esky

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    Well done tony, top report and great fish great to have met you and will definatly catch up again,, Les, thanks for keeping me up all nite and the helpful advice,will see you up there next time...
    deano..
    Thanks Deano - likewise with you guys, it was a fantastic group, and with guys like Les, Lyndon, Steve, and Foxie (and more) sharing so much experience gained doing the hard yards it was also a great eye opener for new tips and techniques to try. I couldn't believe it that the Saturday night gathering was still going when I woke up Sunday morning!

ok my turn, after dropping in to say hi to foxie hit the water about 10am up to the B area for a few hours for nuthin then the cattle yards for nuthin,and also wiggle bay and a few other bays & points.. spose it was more of a look around as josh had not been up before,but a fish or two would have been nice, saturday started at H and went right up two F fishing bays and points, josh had a breif enquirery on one point, then again up in a bay off whially crk, a cow was checking us out so we started mooing at it and it fired rite up at us, so while not paying any attention to our lures a big fish come out of the weeds and had a swipe at josh,s scorpion but missed altogether so left that bay but snuck back in a bit later for nuthin..sunday bit wearey, tried up in B. and C, where finally some action , but only catties,4 or 5 for the morn and a breif hook up on sumthing solider ,,pack up go,home..... NOW THE SOCIAL SIDE... was tops met a great buch of blokes and had many an ale , turky and laugh...tony, will catch up for sure soon for a fish or a beer and congats on the award and a pb ...les great to meet you and thanks for sharing your knowledge of the dam and the placcies,,nath & simon, will catch you in a creek sometime you know the one,,whitto sorry if we woke you sunday morn 4.30 am is a bit early, its easier to stay up all nite daryl , wot can i say kept me laughing both nites, think you should post up your interpretation of what all the letters around the dam stand for lol,,cracker also well done on the muster stickers there tops.steve b hope you got home ok, thanks for the music and advice was a great nite,foxie great to say hi and thaks for your advice also, chris & whitey great to put faces to names and have few xxxx,s.and a very late nite on saturday..dave, great to meet you and your boy,hope he drove ok on saturday rekon you would have been a tad wearey... stiff worm see you next time too,, last but not least, thanks JOSH you are a top bloke and whithout you this trip would not have been possible,i really enjoy our time on the water its always good times and heaps of laughs,thanks heaps., hope i didnt miss anyone if so i will blame the lot that kept me up all saturday nite..
    top lot will be there again for number two

What a weekend, nothing sort of fantastic, plenty of laughs, great fellas no one was left out, no fish for many of us but the meeting of new friends in this great life style of ours was certaily the real winner. to all that came and enjoyed it well done to those that diddn't next year it will be on again.

To Tony well done mate the innaugural winner of the muster trophy with his dollar 12.

Hope to see all of you fellas agian throught the warmer months up there, if not till next years muster.

Nath

Thanks for the update of the muster. Sounds like a great time had by all.

Nice fish Tony, sounds like from the fight incurred that you were a well deserved winner!!!!!

Cheers
    Matt

Thanks guys - still got a silly grin on my face - hopefully that will keep me going for a little while until the IBD itch gets too bad and I'll have to head back up real soon I think

A special thanks to Nath for donating the trophy! I didn't dream to be even in the running for it, so it was a really nice surpise! I'll whack up a photo after I get the dog collar on it My 3 y/o son thinks it's the bees knees as he loves fishies, he keeps calling it a Snappermundi or Barramummy or MundiTuna

I hope the rest of the mob still up there are getting into a few fish, geez it was warm today! I can't wait to see the rest of the reports - would be really nice to see a pic of a 130 beastie with an Ausfishers mug behind it!!!

Cheers
    Tony