Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Innaugural Mondy Muster 2008 - Barra, Beer, and a Barrel of laughs

Re: Innaugural Mondy Muster 2008 - Barra, Beer, and a Barrel of laughs

Awww geez Kim type faster you cant leave us hanging like that!!!!
    The story was just getting to the good bit!
    *walks away muttering lucky bastards under his breath....

Book 2
    Wednesday morning Nagg and MW dropped in on their way to Awoonga. They very kindly gave us one each of their gun softies and some great pointers. We were on the water a bit late ducked into the back of bird for a look found a few dead fish and that was about it. Up to B to check Steve's spot from the night before. Looked the goods but not alot happening so we though we'd check out a few of the other guru's points....Good Call. Got over there about 4'ish, tied up and hung on!! We had the two gun lures on and about 5pm it started....it was like a dream. Roo was the first to hook up and I managed to grab some of it on video. It was off like a steam train, I could've had a cuppa while I waited!! After some nice leaps and head shakes from the fish and a few "God bless Nagg, We love Nagg" comments from us, I netted his new PB. We knew it was a bigg'n but not until we tried to lift it in the boat did we realise just how big. The brag mat was ready on the floor and a rough guess while it was still in the net was 110cm. De hooked and slid the net out OMG it's 117cm. Checked it a few times (he did claim a 110 with his metery until he realised the mat had a fold in it.) Nope it was a 117cm. Back over the side (OMG it was heavy) and high fives all round!! Holy $hit.... we have a XOS to our name.

While Roo fixed up his mangled leader, I dropped a smaller fish at the boat it would have been a 80ish really golden in colour. Oh well...another leader for Roo to fix. I kept casting......another hookup. Woo Hoo!! Now this is barra fishing!!! This was a bigger fish, had her on for a few leaps, had her to the boat, one last run under the boat...pressure goooone. Shit what happened??? Not until I was checking my leader did I notice the TT Head Hunter xstrong hook bent to buggery. Bugger....another job for Roo. I was swapping between the revo with the black and gold 130 slick rig and the zillion with the depth charger(storm 6in). Roo could hardly keep up with the knot tying. Then we heard a great commotion across the bay and a yell "roo...kim is that you?" we thought we had seen Foxie's boat just before dark. It was now pitch black, no moon yet. It sounded like he had a great white in the boat!! (Wouldn't get that noise in a poly ) He asked us to take a pic for him as he couldn't get the camera to work. By the time we got there he had released it as it had been out of the water for a bit. Back to our spot few more cast and I'm on!! The rest is a blur, it was dark I remember that!! Roo might have a better recollection? All I remember is tell Roo to keep talking me through it, keep coaching me. He's a champ. I knew it was a big girl and didn't want to blow it. He netted her like a pro. Again it took both of us to lift her in the boat. On the mat she went 115. Wholly $hite...I just landed a 115cm barra. OMG!!! I was still pinching myself the next morning. Another leader knot for Roo to tie... went a bit quiet after that, Roo had two more breif hookups, the last one destroyed the gun lure 'depth charger' and that was it. Home by about 9pm.

Thursday, off to Bundy to grab some more 'depth chargers'. Home for a soft plastics workshop to modify tail angles and add stinger hooks, Chew just loooves slickrigs. On the water by 3pm, straight to THE POINT., tie up and hang on again. I was having a shocker couldn't cast to save myself. After a hissy fit, a cuppa and a bit of rocky road, noticed bait flicking. Two casts later...I had enough time to say I'm On and Roo turned to see a missile launch up out of the water. It's tail had to have cleared the water by more than a metre!! Awesome to watch. In comes my fish for the day a feisty 91. Roo then landed a 96 that had himself round the anchor rope cause someone got the net ready first . I lost 3 more that night, one spat it mid air, it was worth it to see that happen, one got through the 60lb leader and the last was was a big fish!! It came to the surface and just rolled after a big run and spat the hook, no jump. I don't think it could have got itself out of the water!! Roo again had a great night tying knots. At one point I offered to wait till we had two rods ready to go, so we had an equal chance. The response was "get your lure in the water, were not here to F#$K spiders".

Dropping fish was also a first for us, before the trip we had landed every fish we had hooked (6 between us). All dropped fish were after our PB and they really didn't bother us too much. I was surprised after the two PB's we were much more relaxed and not so worried about getting them to the boat. Miss hits were another new experience for us....you're sure not left with any doubt when a barra short takes your plastic....wow what a hit! You really can tell the difference between a barra and a cattie by the sheer power and speed of the strike.
    Chew got his PB fish on a slickrig on Thursday night also....we were so proud!!(Chewy heard mumbling....bloody plastics....)
    Roo and I have an agreement which he is starting to reconsider...I provide the food he ties the knots, I think he will reassess for the next trip. All but Roo's first fish were caught with snaps too.

We had a great time and caught up with some great people!! A huge heartfelt thanks to all of you who freely gave us advise, hints and tips. I've come home a much more confident barra fisho and with a PB each, 3 fish each and 8 dropped between us. Not the number that some of you lucky buggers get into but it will do me!! I'm still grinning.
    Hope it was worth the wait
    Cheers Kim.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'

Pics of the last days fun!!
    thanks for reading!!
    Roo and Kim.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...

Good read Kim ...... keep typing

Chris

OK just read part 2

Well what can I say except - really well done guys! That's two exceptional PBs & it couldn't of happened to a nicer couple.

You've now seen another side to Mondy ...... which can only encourage you to do that hike more often ........... Better still it shows Cockroaches can catch barra
    It was great meeting you guys & the Chews + sampling those culinary wonders
    Lastly ....... I have some personal satisfaction in knowing that our little bit of advice proved beneficial to you guys! ....... But please keep that location to yourselves

Cheers

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

nice fish kim and roo, sorry we didnt catch up ,we did see roo out the front of the house and gave a wave, but couldnt stop as josh was keen to get home to his pregnant wife....sounds like yous had a ton of fun...we had a dounut apart from 1/2 doz catties but had a fun trip......well done...cheers deano...

There you go Joe and Chris,now i'm off home for a canadian club and good lie down
    Cheers Kim.

Well done guys u had a blinder.....Good report and piccies Kim...we passed u guys north of Childers on the Sunday morning......Have to say love your cap.....Up the Mighty Maroons
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Great stuff Kim (& Roo)

It was certainly well worth the wait - sounds like you had the sort of trip we all dream of.........

Isn't funny, donut trips (no matter how many) are exorcised and forgotten the second a barra hits your lure........the adrenalin pumps, the anxiety mounts and the heart races reminding you exactly how great it is to be alive (& fishin).......

Love the pic of the lure preparation workshop around the table - exactly what we do! Great pics of all of your fish and, once again, congrats on your PBs. The 117 and the 115 look magnificent!!

Hope to catch up with you both on the water soon........

Regs

Pete (& Kyle)

Great effort ....Great read.....l just dont understand how you caught fish on Softys....They just dont work at Monduran...Yea right.........

Guys there is a MUCH better pic of kim with her fish,if we pester roo enuf im sure he will post it. its a cracker..we really really need to see it

Great work Kim and Roo I have been really looking forward to your report just like many others. Sounds like a session and trip you will always remember. Well done on your PB's. - cheers Richard

Thanks Kim,

We've all been hanging out to hear the details after we heard you guys did so well. Well done to Roo and yourself!

Great report and some hot fishing there to make the long drive worthwhile for sure! I guess I don't need to ask if you'll both be back next year? How nice are those fish!

Cheers
    Tony

Kim and Roo,

Great report and great fish. Cant say much more than that!! It was truly a great few days you guys and the chewy family had..Its always great to catch up with you....so you better come back again soon..this time I WILL go out for a fish with you guys!! sounds like too much fun to miss out on!!!...plus roo may need a hand changing all your leaders!!

steve

chris, I have some slightly bad news for you. your 'secret' spot has been getting consistantly flogged to death since that weekend. Spud got a few fish further up a week later, he went back yesterday and there were about 20 boats (no sh&t) in from those points right up to the back!! there was only 5 cars at the main ramp...therefore the boats are coming from the campground ramp.....word spreads fast down there mate!!..I went into the pig trap bay tues and Wed and saw about 10 boats each time as I looked up to where you guys were.....and it aint getting any better with crowds increasing.....

sorry mate. Welcome to our world!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Kim and Roo,

Great report and great fish. Cant say much more than that!! It was truly a great few days you guys and the chewy family had..Its always great to catch up with you....so you better come back again soon..this time I WILL go out for a fish with you guys!! sounds like too much fun to miss out on!!!...plus roo may need a hand changing all your leaders!!

steve

chris, I have some slightly bad news for you. your 'secret' spot has been getting consistantly flogged to death since that weekend. Spud got a few fish further up a week later, he went back yesterday and there were about 20 boats (no sh&t) in from those points right up to the back!! there was only 5 cars at the main ramp...therefore the boats are coming from the campground ramp.....word spreads fast down there mate!!..I went into the pig trap bay tues and Wed and saw about 10 boats each time as I looked up to where you guys were.....and it aint getting any better with crowds increasing.....

sorry mate. Welcome to our world!
    Steve that grape vine has gotta be chopped down ......... Where is Motty

Oh well ...... at least a few Ausfishers got the benefit of the spot Better find some new ground on my return

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Talking Re: Innaugural Mondy Muster 2008 - Barra, Beer, and a Barrel of laughs

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Awww geez Kim type faster you cant leave us hanging like that!!!!
    The story was just getting to the good bit!
    *walks away muttering lucky bastards under his breath....
    Get that boat finished mate.....and find ways to go visit the relatives up there a bit more often any excuse will do.

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    nice fish kim and roo, sorry we didnt catch up ,we did see roo out the front of the house and gave a wave, but couldnt stop as josh was keen to get home to his pregnant wife.
    No worries mate, I was generally waving at every one who went past just incase they AF'ers.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    .... I have some personal satisfaction in knowing that our little bit of advice proved beneficial to you guys! ......
    not wrong there Chris. The helpful advice we gleaned from all of the crew was the catalyst for our success. Much appreciated, I even passed a bit of it on to another chap and his young son who were having trouble finding a bite. I gave them a couple of plastics rigged to go and a brief description of what to look for to find fish in those conditions as well as when to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    ......Have to say love your cap.....Up the Mighty Maroons
    The cap was a fixture on her melon for photo's....she'd take off the araphat cap and whack on the mighty maroon head gear for photo's

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    Love the pic of the lure preparation workshop around the table
    That was a good way to amuse ourselves until fish'o'clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    Great effort ....Great read.....l just dont understand how you caught fish on Softys....They just dont work at Monduran...Yea right.........
    Nice one trev. yes, wind was our friend too.....depending on which end of the boat your at

Quote Originally Posted by chewy01 View Post
    Guys there is a MUCH better pic of kim with her fish,if we pester roo enuf im sure he will post it. its a cracker..we really really need to see it
    Not worth the pain and suffering if I posted that chewy.....you'd get some of that pain too!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rc@hinze View Post
    Great work Kim and Roo I have been really looking forward to your report just like many others. Sounds like a session and trip you will always remember. Well done on your PB's. - cheers Richard
    Cheers Richard, It really was a great trip. we had some good luck and some success with a dedicated plan too.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    I guess I don't need to ask if you'll both be back next year?
    pretty sure we'll be on it.....might need to get there earlier to catch the whole weekend of festivities...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    ..this time I WILL go out for a fish with you guys!! sounds like too much fun to miss out on!!!...plus roo may need a hand changing all your leaders!!
    My hands are still cracked and sore from tying leaders.....might need some lotion on them

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Steve that grape vine has gotta be chopped down .........

at least a few Ausfishers got the benefit of the spot Better find some new ground on my return

Chris
    The Blowfly network is perhaps a necessary evil....without the word getting out, sometimes you'd never know where to start looking for the fish. I'll bet that the next hot spot will show up soon enough and the boats will flock to that area leaving MW point and Nagg Bay deserted again... depends on whether or not any of them learns the reasons why these spots were producing in those conditions. that's what I got from the week, lessons in why it was working there and how I can use that in other areas. I'm slowly putting the pieces together so next trip we will have a plan of attack that can be applied to what ever the conditions present.

Cheers everyone for your patience, I've been itching to get this report done but without Internet connection at home, we had to wait till we got back to the office. now I best get on with catching up on those work commitments...with just a little bit of lurking here

Cheers Roo.