Thread: Triple figure galore at Tinaroo

Triple figure galore at Tinaroo

The last fortnights worth of fishing has been nothing short of World Class, and there are many reasons for this... an extremely stable, hot few weeks of a typical FNQ September has fired the girls up bigtime and this has seen the fish move in and out of differing depths and area's in search of masses of Bony Bream. The build up of afternoon storms hasn't hurt the dusk bite-time period either. There have been an incredible amount of smaller fish captured by some anglers too, which is a credit to the style and locations they fish.

One thing which has been common in nearly every capture has been the regurgitating of HORSE Bony Bream in an effort to throw the hooks. Also, we have been timing fights and carefully taking note of where these fish are being hooked. They have been slaming Lures HARD, and every fish has been facially hooked meaning a definite aggression in the strike, causing the Lure to flick back on itself (almost!). But the main thing we have noticed over the past fortnight has been the fight times. In the winter just gone by, we landed metre plus fish nearly every session and the fights weren't there... the condition of the fish was immaculate, but they just didn't have the energy level to compete. Since Sept 1, we have run into excellent numbers of nice fish, most around the 115/116cm mark and they have kept their superb winter-build but are fighting like pure titans. Put it this way, the last 3 meteries we have landed have all gone over the 10min barrier. Good mate Joe got a 112 a few mornings back which we originally called for a small fish, took one blistering run and smoked him bigtime when we had to re-think... "mmm, perhaps it is big?" - it went for 10mins and still wasnt spent when I went for the comfort lift into the Boat. A 105cm specimen I got the same morning drilled me acres away from where I hooked her... in the pure darkness we both called it for a horse... I was going a fraction soft on the fish at first, but then ripped it up. 12mins later, she was dancing around the Boat just asking for the net. She was in beaut condition (see pic). A mate of Joes also agreed with these findings, as he got a 116cm on Thursday morning which took 16mins to Boat - thats performance!!!

Attached are some pics.

T
    TT

Re: Triple figure galore at Tinaroo

Good read Theo ........ I could really imagine what it would be like up there as you move from your winter bite into the more active summer one It really does show just how good September can be on barra impoundments

Cheers

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

whats the go with the first pic???...fantastic looking fish Theo...these big girls were obviously stronger than all the ones that died...i never tire of looking at barramundi...their scales look like mirrors...tinge of yellow on the lips...big old bucket mouths...beautiful

Mrs Benno1

Thats good stuff Theo, thanks for the report mate.

I'll be at Faust from the 4th to the 25th Oct, hope i get to see similar action.

Thanks again mate.

John.

Thanks guys!

Mrs Benno1! - The first pic had a few 'drizzle' spots on the lens of the camera, so had a bit of a play with it to try and get it looking a bit better. The enhancement I made to it was done through Photoshop Studio 4 - didnt make any real difference but it looks cool!

I never tire at looking at them either... I swear they glow in the dark sometimes (or maybe thats me dreaming again???)

Cheers

Theo
    TT

Well done Theo thanks for the update mate.

Your trip report is a good read and the fighting times are interesting when compared to your winter notes.

Did you notice the same with saltwater barra?

Cheers Lyndon.

G'day Lyndon.

I don't have the experience with Saltwater barra up here compared to the Impoundment fish, so Im left a little short there. In the winter just gone by, I had a cracker trip near Cape Tribulation/Bloomfield where I spent a few weeks helping out with 4WD Tours - also had the time to do alot of Beach/Rock fishing for Barra. On an average afternoon I was getting 3 or 4 Barra around the 70/80cm mark, and they fought quite well for their size! This was in the middle of winter, on slow in-coming tides late in the afternoons. The Barra would get drawn into slow filling gutters and rocky lagoons, and they wouldn't look twice at a Lure. They fought according to their build and surrounds, just like every fish... from the fresh or salt.

Cheers mate

Theo
    TT

Keep em chewin Theo - Less then 3 weeks away now and these reports are getting me fired up.

I love that first photo - looks devilish!!

Yep, long time no hear Theo.......Tinaroo is going off mate. Nice to see you're quietly racking up the numbers.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

I'll be up there for the weekend having a poke around.Heading up this arvo after work.

Good effort bloke... love that first photo..... Talk soon

Theo,

Some good fish you guys are mixing with. Joe sure knows how to fish hey? It seems the fish went in waves of big during winter then the small ones came through, now we are getting the big fish that the dam is known for. Good stuff

Will catch you soon for a fish hey? I will be up there the next few weekends.

Cheers
    Matt

Matt.

Why not mate sounds good. My Watersnake died the other week so am waiting on my new Minn Kota to come (screw them Watersnakes I say! Not impressed at all).

Joe has been getting 1 or 2 every day... its the time of the day, location and stealth that are playing the big percentage. Joe and I have basically just been twitching Lures, plain and simple really!. They havn't been to hard to entice at all unlike Winter (well, for me anyway!)

T.
    TT

TT - I've never fished Tinaroo before but with the winds on the coast hitting close to 30 knots again this weekend (seems like every damn weekend for the last 6 months); I was wondering what the wind on Tinaroo was like by comparison?

I was just thinking that the Barra there must be starting to come on the bite with the warmer days; your report didn't dissapoint me

Also, what's it like for submerged obstacles at present?
    Regards,

Andrew.
    =============
    W: www.agt.id.au
    M: 0410 834 486