Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Innaugural Mondy Muster 2008 - Barra, Beer, and a Barrel of laughs

Re: Innaugural Mondy Muster 2008 - Barra, Beer, and a Barrel of laughs

That will be good Les...We will be spreading the swag 8/9/10 so will definatedly catchup....Good stuff Mate......Cheers Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

BTW - Just cleaned the boat on the weekend since getting back and discovered I'm missing a red and black seat cushion for one of my fishing chairs. Pretty sure it blew out of the boat on the last day (Mon 15/09) and should have floated.

If anyone did come across it, could you please PM me.

Thanks
    Navi

Quote Originally Posted by black_sheep View Post
    BTW - Just cleaned the boat on the weekend since getting back and discovered I'm missing a red and black seat cushion for one of my fishing chairs. Pretty sure it blew out of the boat on the last day (Mon 15/09) and should have floated.

If anyone did come across it, could you please PM me.

Thanks
    Navi
    Are you sure Vinny didn't chuck it overboard Nav?
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Hi all you Musterers ( & wannabes ) ..... Now that I’m back (& still charged after driving 16 hours straight from Awoonga .......... while my ex crew member got a full days sleep in the passengers seat (in between shouts of "Whitey the barra master" etc etc !

Anyhow I'll just posts my experiences from the Mondy leg in this thread.

So we managed to hit the road around noon on Thursday for our drive to the Muster ........ The first few hours proved uneventful till just prior to sunset on the outskirts of Gunnedah I noticed a small animal crossing the road ......... & during a blonde moment I said to MW "Hey , that looks like a monkey!" & he agreed As we neared it ........ I slowed to allow the little fellow ( now identified as a young Koala) to cross ...... & as we stopped , it looked as if it was going to climb into the car ....... Whitey tried to take a photo , but it quickly climbed a tree.
    Moving on into the night we faced the ozzy travelers nightmare ...... nearing Dalby we heard a loud bang & shudder from the trailer ...... pulling over we saw that the plastic mud guard had been completely destroyed! (Kangaroo strike) ........ nothing we could do , off we drove only to hit another roo not an hour later . Well that certainly increased our alertness as we drove closer to Gin Gin.
    On the outskirts of Gin Gin we ran into heavy fog around 4am ........ & nearly into a semi that just appeared (at speed) ........ It was a close your eyes moment as we had moved over as close to the guard rail as possible.
    So arriving ..... At Gin Gin well before Foxies opening ...... we had an hours sleep followed by the changing of a flat tyre (flat on the bottom only) . So after breaky & a run into Bundy to look for a new guard & having the tyre repaired we ran into Steve (B) & made our introductions .......... before picking up our SIPs
    We arrived mid morning at the park ..... to find Nath , Nipsta & Whitto had pretty well set up camp ........ where we attempted to do the same ! (1.5 hours later ... we did manage to get the tent up )
    On the water just after 1pm ..... exhausted ....... we poke our nose around some old stomping grounds for 1 stinking Mondy Trout.
    That night after dinner .... we had a few tubes around a nice fire , talking stuff (barra) & several more tubes ....... I think I crawled into the sack at 2am
    Saturday morning up around 7am ..... a quick feed & we headed up the Kolan (not a stiffy to be seen ......Attachment 35100 just lots of dead barra) We cast our arms off for buggerall .......... Whitey says "Ring Trev ..... we are going to Awoonga , all the barra are dead! ………….. Boy did I have to do some explaining . We kept fishing up the Kolan & came back to a timbered bay near the mouth of B …… Here I manage a big trout before deciding to tie off & fish a point within this area! ………… Just after sunset with both MW & I dropping fish , MW bags himself 2 x 90cm & new PBs …….. Me with a couple of missed hits ( a minus 1 day)
    With the fish still hitting slick rigs …….. we hurry back to camp to enjoy the festivities

What a night ( congratulations Tony on winning the inaugural MM trophy) …….. And sorry all for my rambling un-prepared speech. Finally I got to meet a good proportion of the Ausfish IBDers & co contributors to that MONSTER THREAD. The camp kitchen / fire conversation was as good as it gets with Daryl’s recitation of the meaning of the Mondy nomenclature an absolute laugh……….. It was like a group of mates getting together rather than just a bunch of fishoes that chat over the net ……….. That’s a credit to you all & how can we not continue from here.
    So after finally getting to bed at Sunrise only to be woken about 5.7 seconds later by a well rested MW …….. It was off to fish some new areas (B) Yes in 3 previous trips we had never fished B ……….. But after a few hours without a touch & the drone of MW wanting to go back to where he caught fish the night before , I came upon a little non descript point that was holding bait . The decision was made to tie off on some trees & cast into the bank ( targeting a lone stick which was just at the edge of the weed). With several barra free jumping it was only minutes (1pm) before I hooked a 90cm job which engulfed a modified 6” Swim Shad (Depth Charge) ………Attachment 35098 A little worst for wear the girl swam off with with a thrust of her tail . This fish was followed up by another 78cm baby who took a smaller version of the depth charge. A little lull occurred which was then broken by an enormous strike on the depth charge ………. Holy shite MW yells have a look at it …….. Well this girl was big ( big back) & could basically only get her head out of the water & was just going off …. Till she slashed the 80lb wind on leader (15 seconds) A big sigh & on goes the 50lb twisted leader
    A further lull after a lunch / beer break had us moving around the corner & tying off on a big tree in ever increasing winds ( “wind is your friend” ….. Awoonga ) It didn’t take too long before we started to get a few hits (3pm) & then I landed a 92 followed by both of us jumping off a fish each
    At this point a blow fly appears drives up ….. Says his piece & blasts off shutting down the fish . So back to Nags …….. Tie off , but all is quiet ………. Then as the moon rose we started to get some enquiries & not too long later MWs new PB @ 98cm which had him stitched up around a tree ……. But some astute work on the leccy after throwing the buoy ….. & MWs now famous “It’s gone” cry ……. A handsome silver fish was boated.Attachment 35099
    I followed this fish up with a 90cm fishy ………………. What a day , a celebratory beer was enjoyed as we picked our way through the timber ( thank god for GPS)
    Monday morning saw us up nice & early …….. & straight to Nags Pt …… with little activity in benign conditions ………. After a couple of hours , it was off to the tree where MW was hit on the very first cast ……. & not to much later I was onto a fish that was going hard ……. MW threw the buoy as this baby tried to do its best ……. At this point of time Roo & Kim drift over (well done ….. no engine) ….. & introduce themselves ……… At this point I heard the mention of Video “put it away” was my reply ! …….. Anyhow my first Mondy metery was landed (103cm)Attachment 35096 …… very happy! We had a bit of a chat with the guys & sampled some of Kims famous RR …….yum Back to fishing
    We drifted through an adjoining shallow bay which had lots of boofing but except for 1 hit nothing
    Back to Nags for the sunset / moonrise bite …….. & yes right on cue Whitey lands a nice 103 (new PB) & a 98cm
    Monday proved to be a gem with a further pair of 95s, 93 & 88 landed by yours truly. Attachment 35102 At this point the discussion was …… should we leave tomorrow & drive to Awoonga ? 1 more day
    Tuesday morning sees us at the tree with 3 fish coming in 10 minutes when we were once again blow flied ………… The bite shut down immediately . An uneventful day saw a big change once we went back to Nags to fish along side Roo & Kim ………. I blew a rather big & angry girl that somehow got rid of a loaded depth charge ( with 8” of frayed leader ….. I was surprised)
    Later the fish of the trip ……… MW is smashed by a raging bull …… which heads straight towards Roo & Kim ( anchored 30M away) …… I quickly throw the buoy ( missing the fun of this bull proposing back towards the standing timber ! ……. I’ve chased this thing on my lecky when I hear the “It’s gone” ………. No you’re not , the fish had wrapped him around a tree, Barking orders that would make any army drill instructor proud – “ Back off the drag!!!” …. “Back the drag off” ………. I do a circuit of the tree & up she pops … “Oh it’s not that big” whitey says & few more hectic moments before I slip the big enviro under her ………… Not big? 110-112 was my call “ I can’t lift it” I could just swing it over & at 112cm it was a crackerAttachment 35097 ……. Photos taken by one & all …….. & slaps on the back ………… What a way to end the Mondy leg
    I can tell you now ……. It was not easy to convince MW to drive to Awoonga but that’s another story
    Wednesday morning , we pop in to say good bye to Roo , Kim & Chewy ……… give them a little info on what we have learnt (lures , techniques etc) …….. hopefully it was the good oil.

Away we went …….

Nagg
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Fantastic report Chris, and congratulations to yourself and Whitey on the new PB's!!! That's quite a few fish to the boat in one day, a great session by anyones standards I reckon.

ahhh hadn't heard that part of the monkey story.... ("and he agreed")

Those bigger fish sure are heavy to lift over the side aren't they!

Cheers,
    Tony

p.s. Your speech was great, and as someone mentioned earlier "heartfelt". Thank you for getting the ball rolling on the Muster and I agree - how could we not do it again!!!

Hey Chris, can you just clarify for mate, did you enjoy Monduran??

Lovein your work mate

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Hey Chris, can you just clarify for mate, did you enjoy Monduran??

Lovein your work mate
    Ahhh , you could say that I enjoyed it ......... Gives me lots to look forward to

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey Chris, great finally reading your report. After following all the posts it was good to read yours and hear of you and MW great success. Well done especially on your PB's.

Yeh, I am one of the wannabees and will get my turn this Wednesday as I am up there for 4 days. Cant tell how bad the IBD has been reading all the post you guys from the Muster have been putting up. Wish I could have been up there with the crew. Great to hear that Kim and Roo had success as well and it seems you found the bay of plenty up there. - cheers Richard

Hey Chris,

Great report as always mate.....Geez you had some boat, wildlife, trailer and whitey strife...but you came thru with true style to land some awesome fish. You know your doing something right when you get blowflied all the time...you spots have been getting flogged ever since...you have created a monster. A few locals have been fishing that area since with good results. Spud my neighbour went out with the barman from the pub, who was told by Motty, who saw you there!!!!! thats how it spreads!!!!! he got a 120cm yesterday only 5 days after I got him his first barra!!! hes been out every day and has got about 10 this week.

Great report again..look forward to the awoonga report. We didnt get enough time to catch up...we will make up for it at ABT hey!!!!

cheers Steve

hey steve isnt spup still nearly on his honeymoon?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Hey Chris,

Great report as always mate.....Geez you had some boat, wildlife, trailer and whitey strife...but you came thru with true style to land some awesome fish. You know your doing something right when you get blowflied all the time...you spots have been getting flogged ever since...you have created a monster. A few locals have been fishing that area since with good results. Spud my neighbour went out with the barman from the pub, who was told by Motty, who saw you there!!!!! thats how it spreads!!!!! he got a 120cm yesterday only 5 days after I got him his first barra!!! hes been out every day and has got about 10 this week.

Great report again..look forward to the awoonga report. We didnt get enough time to catch up...we will make up for it at ABT hey!!!!

cheers Steve
    Thanks Steve

I do have to say , I was surprised that this area was virtually unfished by any other boats Sun / Monday ........ By Tuesday we could count around 10 boats in the area! ........ It just shows that you dont have to stick to the timber at Mondy , nor is it strictly a hardbody dam.............. Anyway it was good fun.

I hear you had a pretty good top water session one evening

Yeh it would be good to hang out during the ABT ....... looking forward to it!

Cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by chewy01 View Post
    hey steve isnt spup still nearly on his honeymoon?

Ha Ha Chewy, yeah he got back on the monday of the muster....fishing Mondy with me Tues..!!! his Missus had to go back to work Wed...hes been fishing ever since.....He's got married life worked out early Its a machine now! He's on fire...although he keeps raiding my tacklebox and rods while I am at work!!!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Thanks Steve

I do have to say , I was surprised that this area was virtually unfished by any other boats Sun / Monday ........ By Tuesday we could count around 10 boats in the area! ........ It just shows that you dont have to stick to the timber at Mondy , nor is it strictly a hardbody dam.............. Anyway it was good fun.

I hear you had a pretty good top water session one evening

Yeh it would be good to hang out during the ABT ....... looking forward to it!

Cheers

Chris
    Yeah Tues nite was top water nite.....I was fishing exactly the same scenario as you...just over the hill in another arm. We didnt see any other boats though.

cheers steve

Chris,

Some good fishies caught there. Glad after the misfortunes you managed a few. At least though you will have some stories to help keep me awake on the ABT night comps hehe

Good one mate and we will talk soon.

Matt

Chewy how did u guys go...Kim mentioned your young bloke nailed a nice Barra with his Egrell...Im assuming you had a ball.....Unlike Steve Im not going to mention anything about the Poly....Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless