Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: replying to posts

replying to posts

im probs gunna cop a fair bit of crap for this but ive spoken to quite a few other ausfishers and they have agreed with me.
    something that bugs me is when somebody puts a post up on barra fishing for intance you always get people replying to that post ''trying to give advice'' whilst they have had no or next to no experiance at all in fishing for them, giving advice on something you know hardly anything about isnt right as you often put people way of track.
    this doesnt just happen for barra but for jack,snapper, bream ect
    i really dont want to say any names as its not necessary. please unlesx you have done a fair amount of specilist fishing dont pretend you know because people go out and buy the wrong gear for that situation

Re: replying to posts

LOL, I don't know if I'm on your list of people who are "less than qualified" but I felt the need to respond to your post.

While I hear and understand what you are saying, forums are for everyone, newbie to pro.

I think that you are not giving credit for common sense in the membership. Numerous people usually respond to any given post and by its very nature, it is up to the readers to sort the chaff from the wheat....so to speak.

If you hold back people from commenting, that is censorship and in my book, thats not on.

Discount what someone says for what ever reason is your choice but don't hold them back from participating otherwise this forum becomes an elitist place and will die a slow death.
    "This space is saved for my next special catch"
    "Rainy" Haines Hunter 540C Yamaha 130 HPDI
    28lb King Salmon
    18lb Steelhead (Rainbow) Trout
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

I think you may need to get out for a fish bream nut. Ben

How else is one supposed to get their post count up.

It's the same when somebody asks which reel and people tell them they need to spend up when it's not nesessary.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

Quote Originally Posted by dogsbody View Post
    How else is one supposed to get their post count up.

It's the same when somebody asks which reel and people tell them they need to spend up when it's not necessary.

Dave.

I dont think its about getting posts up........even if your tongue was in your cheek.

I's about participation with like minded people and if you start to alienate newbies you probably need to move on........JMHO............
    28lb King Salmon
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

Its up to the reader to determine the worth of the response
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

There are many self proclaimed "experts" on the fishing forums a lot are just young teenagers just havinga bit of fun talking themselves up.
    Sound familiar to anyone ?
    What level of expertise do you think you should have to be able to answer ??
    5 ,10 ,15 years chasing one species or one method of capture .

100% correct horse but for someone who is in experianced they may not know.
    im not sure if its to get there ''post count up'' but i think it is unfair to people who may not know.
    i know its a public forum and people can write and reply what they want but if your were looking for a new combo im sure u wouldnt want someone recomending gear that isnt sutable for the situation

I dunno, I see some posts with requests for info that get no response.. I feel for these people.. weather it's right or wrong, sometimes it's good just to get a response.

I also beleive in Horse's veiw.. still up to people to determin what best suits them.. not always the best gear is needed to acheive a goal
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Here's a little trick I learned as a six-year-old:

If you don't like the look of something, don't look at it....

Well the bloke/s who think some advice is wrong or poor need to post advice WITH WHY they think this is so. This is not an office meeting with a pecking order toward what is best opinion/idea.

Some of the most useless or plain wrong advice I have ever had in everyday life was professional or expert in offering. Here I have seen and been part of the same.

cheers fnq

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy_Back View Post
    There are many self proclaimed "experts" on the fishing forums a lot are just young teenagers just havinga bit of fun talking themselves up.
    Sound familiar to anyone ?
    What level of expertise do you think you should have to be able to answer ??
    5 ,10 ,15 years chasing one species or one method of capture .
    no particualer years of expertise, as there are alot of fisherman who pick up technics very quickly. and it aint just teenagers.
    im not sure if your talking about me ''talking myself up'' everyone to there own and i dont think i do.
    i know there are different styles of fishing and how people approch the situation.
    but some is just complety wrong

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOEY View Post
    I think you may need to get out for a fish bream nut. Ben
    i have no boat atm

mate, without being arrogant, I think the forum feels that open communication is the go...............
    28lb King Salmon
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

a lot of advice might from people who haven't done much of a particular style of fishing, but may have asked the same or similar questions & are being helpful by passing along the info that they received.
    Anyone who asks a question & theen relies on one set of answers is a bit foolish, in this day of the internet you can get 1000 answers to a question in about 5 seconds, so it pays to do as much research as possible, which i am sure that most do..

On the other side of the coin, you have those that ask a question & then don't acknowledge some good replies untill one of the recognised heavy hitters posts, they then thank them for the info, ignoring the same from others. I have seen this happen countless times..