Thread: Warm waters at Tinaroo brings out another meterey

Warm waters at Tinaroo brings out another meterey

Due to being a little busy and a very slow computer, I have not done any reports so I will recap on the last weeks antics.

Andrew (Wheezer), Gerhard and myself went out for an arvo fish after a very intoxicated night at a wedding a week ago. To say I was feeling slow was an understatement so it was a later afternoon fish. We went searching for some areas to try and we flogged the waters to a foaming froth. We tried all different combinations for one hook up late in the arvo on a 100mm Squigy Drop Bear. I pulled the hooks on that one to fight another day, with barra getting an early release...So Sunday week ago, as briefly mentioned in a thread somewhere else throughout this site, was a big fat zero .

After, contemplating what we did wrong/right over the week ahead, I hit the dam on Sunday for another onslaught. I had a bit of a look around some weedy flats with surface plastics, and only managed to spook one fish. I then went for a search into DPI bay and found waters reaching a staggering 26.5 degrees. I could see meter plus fish chasing baitfish, as they rose out of the mud stained waters to engulf their prey. I thought it looked the goods with pelicans around, lots of turtles and meter plus fish feeding agressively. I tied on a few combinations before throwing on a gold 20+ flat ratz (I think that's what it was called????) and first cast came up with the goods on a poor little baby barra not much bigger than the lure. Well, at least today was not a donut

I did not have any luck on this lure again, so I eventually moved along to a different bank to try my luck. After trying Slick Rigs, Arafuras, my faithful Boney Bream, B-52's and a suspending Storm plastic (almost in that order from memory), I tried a 130 squidgy fish (gold) with a 21 gram squidgy head, which is just what the doctor had ordered. First cast and I was on to a real strong fish. I had a few spectator boats boats watching this tussle which was taking a bit longer than usual. Once I saw the resin head in the jaw hinge I was happier, especially when it was threaded through skin three times. I boated this fish and laid her on the mat for a cool 113cm

I was pretty "dam" happy about that one, so I took a breather for a few moments and watched the blowflies close in One of the flies anchored close enough so I could cast a lure into their cans of drinks sitting in the console. Ah well, back to the fishing.

As I was not anchored and cruising the bank with the lecky, I was now reduced to a small section of the bank due to other boats reverse parked into my once peaceful bank. I figured I did not need much area to work with so I started to pepper casts to a small but nice point. I managed to get 6 hookups in 15 minutes, ranging form thre rat I caught, to 70-90cm fish, only landing one due to some inspiring leaps and head shakes. This was much to my neighbours dismay. They eventually went to drive off, but motor failed, so I ended up towing them back to the ramp some 15 minutes later once I had finished for the arvo.

I had a great afternoon, and really enjoyed relaxing with a rod, reel and big barra on my line.......

Cheers
    Matt

Re: Warm waters at Tinaroo brings out another meterey

Hey Matt, dont know which is the better picture mate, number 1 or 2, they are both gold!!
    Nice work,thought you had been a bit quiet

chers
    brian

Awesome Matt. Gee you must have sharp eyesight. Those "blowies" were sneaking in on stealth mode mate

Good sh*t again. Love all three pics.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Nice report Matt, good photos of good fish. cheers scott

Its getting time to hit the tablelands again.... *grin*

"There is certainly something in fishing that tends to produce a gentleness of spirit, a pure serenity of mind."

Good work Matt!!

Hadnt heard from you for a while...now I know whats been going on!! awesome photos....they look so cute at that little size!!!

cheers steve

Nice work Matt.

I'm a big fan of those gold and milky white 130 squidgy fish. Caught a couple of good fish on them rigged with a 1/2 oz jighead.

Ahhh another top read Matt ........ The little bloke is a magnificent looking fish

Oh ..... The big girl's not too shabby either

Well done

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks Matt......Good to see the little tacker..all looks good for the future.....Great Piccies
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

And the legend of the north continues to grow........

Well done, Matt! You have got Tinaroo nailed.

Love the pic of the little bloke.

Regs

Pete

I was pretty happy to catch those fish. It was a fun afternoon that's for sure. I was really gobsmacked at how much the temp had gone up in one week.

I reckon I might have to just go back up "again", only because I am missing out on the muster. I will be staying up at Tinaroo on Friday night in the tent

Matt

You certainly know that dam mate, great effort and nice fish.

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Barraboss View Post
    I was pretty happy to catch those fish. It was a fun afternoon that's for sure. I was really gobsmacked at how much the temp had gone up in one week.

I reckon I might have to just go back up "again", only because I am missing out on the muster. I will be staying up at Tinaroo on Friday night in the tent

Matt

Matt ...... I'm sure you will do well (again)

Mate ...... put it in your diary for next year

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO