Thread: Clarrie Hall 6-8-08

Clarrie Hall 6-8-08

Hi all ,
    Did another quick trip upto Clarrie Hall on sat things started slow but we didn't hit the dam till 930am so we were fishing the worst times,
    first fish was about 13cm long and was cought in a bay up past snake island the second and third fish was the same size !!! tiny so we gave up and headed towards the ramp , stopped for another go on a fav point near snake island to snag a 38cm on first cast followed by another at around 39-40 then a big fat girl at 43.5cm and over a kilo , she had the biggest belly i have ever seen on one of these bass!! making us think she was rowed up ?? not sure maybe just full of food .
    All in all a good day finished up about 3pm for fish nothing great but still fun ,
    Cheers Craig
    p.s ill try posting some pics , i can never get it to work for me

Re: Clarrie Hall 6-8-08

Cheers for the report!! We plan on getting out there after we get back from mondy muster. Two weeks holidays equals two weeks of solid fishing!!
    Hope you can get the photo's to work. Have they still got a barrier across the dam so you can't go up towards the dam wall?
    Cheers Kim.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'

In regards to the barrier half way up the dam. If its the piece of white flexi-pipe that travels across the dam then you can simply go over it, or lift it over your boat as you go under. Last time I was there, there was a gap on the left hand side (heading up the dam) where you could drive through.

The barriers are there to prevent Salvinia from spreading throughout the dam, so if you go over/under it, just do so in the middle where there normally isnt any buildup of the weed.

This goes with the barriers in some of the bays...simply under or over...and away you go.

Leigh

sounds like a good day out despite the slow start

I know clarry is electric only but do you have to take your outboard off for clarry...?

Hi ,
    Yellahunter , yes mate have to take it off mate , a law i hate such a pain for those of us who may have a bolt on motor!!
    The misses , g'day yeah the barrier was still up but you can do as Leigh said just go over it or around the one blocking the main part to head towards the dam wall , they left a big gap to the right of it .We didn't go past there and a never really do to be honst always seem to catch anoth before there .
    The slow start was simply due to the 30 school kids in the conoes paddling over the lilly pads , man i wish when i went to school i could of done a sport like that seemed like they were having a ball and its good to see schools getting them outside being active
    Craig

Here is a couple of pics ,........... i hope

Nice pic of a good fish crab man.......

Thanks peter no barra but us IBD people must have some sort of dam fishing fix !!!

Hi everyone.
    I'm new to Bass fishing having always been a salt water fisher. I'm going to try Clarrie Hall in a couple of weeks. I have a canoe and a strong teenage son to help me paddle.
    Any basic hints for first timers would be great. For example, is it best to launch and start off at the wall, or start at Crams? Where is snake island? Is there a go to spot or just try your luck around the weeds and snags.
    I would appreciate any tips.
    Cheers Steve

Steve,
    Start out at crams farm, head up around to the right to go up the dam, We've caught fish pretty much from the ramp area up by working the edges of the lillies. If you want to exlpore further up, i suggest you put a rod out and get the boy paddling. trolling the edges of the lilles is a good way to find a few. i dont know which island is Snake Is but there are a couple of little island in the first basin area...lots of lillies all round them. Check out google earth and you'll see what i mean. Good luck
    Cheers Roo.

Snake Island is the largest one. Once you start heading up the dam you cant miss it...and dont be fooled, it should be obvious as to how it got its name.

I can remember fishing there a long time ago now and we were in a canoe...working the banks rather stealthy like and as we came around the corner there were a young couple on the bank of Snake Island (canoe pulled ashore) sharing their love for one another. When they noticed us come around the corner they took off into the bush...and within seconds came running straight back out (still naked). So there was something big and scary enough to scare 2 fully naked people out of the bush.

Leigh

ahh that was you that cought me leigh !!!!!!!!!!
    hahaha
    mate fish the first little island you will find heaps of areas to fish trolling is a great way to find fish holding areas