Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top Trout Lures

Top Trout Lures

Just wondering what is everyones go to lure when chasing trout? I have had most success on Berkley 3" bass minnows when fishing plastics and the old Tassie Devils when using hard bodies, especialyl when trolled.

Re: Top Trout Lures

Have only ever targeted them once, was spring in a creek feeding lake jindabyne about 10 years ago. An old favourite rebel bibbed crawdad looking thing was the pick. Caught up to 20 good rainbows up to 40cm in half a day.

I snagged my rebel at one stage really didn't want to lose it so decided to go for a swim that woke me up, and then lost it next fish

My go to lure for mountain streams is the Celta size 0 or 1 in shiny pearl for sandy bottoms or green/black for darker holes sometimes red/black for a change. Quite cheap and very effective. In alpine streams that are too small for any sort of cast a wet fly(mrs simpson) and split shot or a clear bubble float is deadly.

If you can find them buy a couple of Pegron lures. Like a small version Toby we use for tailor. Trout love smashing them.

Jack.

I'm not really a fan of metal lures. I like to work my lures using tweaks and twitches and I find this method is not really help full when your pulling a dessert spoon with hooks attached through the water. I was thinking more along the line of bibbed diving lures.

Anymore suggestions?

If you can find them, try & get hold of the following patterns in Dan McGrath Attack Lures or better still John Bennet Baby Merlins

1) Fluoro Frog

2) Spotted Dog

3) Rainbow Trout

4) Green Frog

If you're fishing Purrumbete {water level-ramp} Bullen Merri, Modeware, Eucumbene, Eildon then you won't find a better lure when fished properly.

I have literally thousands of trout lures, have been fishing trout for 40yrs & just cannot find a lure that even comes close.

My opinion only.

Quote Originally Posted by 2manylures View Post
    If you can find them, try & get hold of the following patterns in Dan McGrath Attack Lures or better still John Bennet Baby Merlins

1) Fluoro Frog

2) Spotted Dog

3) Rainbow Trout

4) Green Frog

If you're fishing Purrumbete {water level-ramp} Bullen Merri, Modeware, Eucumbene, Eildon then you won't find a better lure when fished properly.

I have literally thousands of trout lures, have been fishing trout for 40yrs & just cannot find a lure that even comes close.

My opinion only.
    Thats the kinda stuff I'm after...Thanks heaps 2manylures. I'm specifically looking for lures to fish in Purrembete, Bullen Merri and Elingamite...so your suggestions are very helpfull indead. Great to see someone willing to pass on years of experience to help a guy out. Thanks again champ!!

Gagga, I troll these lures at speeds of 3.5-5.5 kph on 6lb mono. They'll dive to 8-1/2 ft when dropped back just to the point of not feeling lure action or vibration.

If you're fishing lakes that hold redfin & you're catching reddies then you are trolling or retrieving these too slow.

Thanks again 2manylures...great advise! Where these the baby Merlins and Attack Lures you were reffering to?
    Baby Merlins:
    http://www.########.com.au/index.cfm...product_id=883

Attack Minnows:
    http://www.########.com.au/index.cfm...product_id=993

Gagga

Gagga, pm sent mate.

...squidgey fish in rainbow are crackers when casting. Had a few awesome session on 'em in lakes. Just fish them with a slow roll about a foot under water in lakes along the edge of weedbeds and they just get smashes. I love em' 8-D

I found that in general trout streams Rapala's Original Floater and Countdown Size C3-F3 Rainbow and Brown Trout colour worked the best. I was catching trout up to 50cm long on them trout smash them.
    Other lures that work quite well in trout streams are Strike Pro's Small Fry2 and RMG Sneaky Scorpion. They are both quite cheap so you'll defiantly get your moneys worth out of them.

being from Tassie i tend to fall back on green and gold or red and black cobra style lures or good old cd3 rapalas in brook trout or brown trout patterns.On softies squigy fish 50 or 60mm in Gary glitter or berkey powerbait 3 inch minnows in pumpkinseed i like these far more than the gulp bass minnows as the translucent bodies tend to match galaxides very very well. dont be afraid to add some red dots (randomly)on the sides of your hard bodies (a la brown trout ) works a treat.
    Cheers
    Reidy
    Noticed trolling speeds GO AS SLOW AS YOU CAN AND I MEAN SLOW JUST ENOUGH SPEED TO MAKE THE LURE WORK,IF YOU CANT GET THE SPEED DOWN ON YOUR MOTOR THROW A HEAVY DUTY BUCKET OUT THE BACK AS A DRAG.SLOW SLOW SLOW

My favorite Trout lure would have to be the Halco 45mm laser Pro in H51 chrome gold black back. Proof is below.

fly for me haha,
    wouldnt fish with anything else for them,
    sepecially in rivers/streams

but if you had tou use lures maybe celtas or rapala cd3-5