Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: $200 per year permit to drive Teewah beach?

$200 per year permit to drive Teewah beach?

It was reported on Channel 10 news last night that
    • a permit would soon be introduced for driving the beach from Noosa North Shore to Double Island Point (and I presume Rainbow Beach)
    • the cost would be $200 for a yearly permit (probably less for shorter time periods)
    • the beach on the North Shore between first and third cuttings would be closed to all vehicles
    • the beach to Inskip Point might also be closed
    • the number of camp sites on Inskip Point would be capped
    Does anyone have any more details about these proposals? Are they up for discussion? When will they be introduced? etc.

Imagine what it will be like when ALL the traffic (including all the tour buses) using the beach is forced to use third cutting!
    Cheers Freeeedom

Re: $200 per year permit to drive Teewah beach?

OMG!! what are they doing?? thats like twice as much as the permit for Bribie island.... i have always liked the third cutting but the road leading up to it isn't fun, and I can see many trucks cutting out the creek that leads out from there if everyone is forced to use it.

Cheers
    Brandon...

Here is the official press release....

Minister for Sustainability, Climate Change and Innovation
    The Honourable Andrew McNamara

Wednesday, September 03, 2008
    Long-term plan to protect Cooloola Coast
    A proposed management plan compiled after two years of asking the community how to protect the Cooloola Coast recommends beach speed limits, caps on holiday camper numbers and protection for rare migratory birds.
    Sustainability Minister Andrew McNamara today launched Strategic Directions for Cooloola, which sets out the Government's long-term vision to protect the region’s unique ecosystem while maintaining public access to one of Queensland’s most popular recreation areas.
    It complements the Government’s application to have the Cooloola section of the Great Sandy Park World Heritage-listed, which will be lodged early next year.
    Mr McNamara said the plan also recommended the introduction of vehicle access permits among a raft of measures to address overcrowding and safety.
    "Cooloola, along with Fraser Island, present the world's oldest dune formations. They're a living snapshot of history spanning more than 700,000 years," he said.
    "But increasingly it's bursting at the seams, particularly in the school holidays. This plan sets sensible limits so people can continue to enjoy themselves in safety while we protect the environment.
    “It's a future that's better for people and better for the environment.”
    The proposed plan will go back before Cabinet after further consultation with the Sunshine Coast and Gympie councils, public scrutiny and negotiation with landowners. That process is expected to be finalised before the end of the year.
    The proposals include:
    Vehicle access permits
    Beach access permits for 4WDs, like those already in use at Fraser, Moreton and Bribie islands, will be introduced under the plan.
    Fees are proposed to mirror those at Fraser Island; $37.10 for up to a month and $185.80 for up to a year. People who buy permits for Cooloola and Fraser Island will receive a 20% discount.
    Mr McNamara said revenue would go towards maintaining the Cooloola region.
    "Queensland taxpayers have recently made substantial investments in the area, including the $1.2 million upgrade of visitor facilities and the $1.3 million Cooloola Great Walk that’s under construction,” he said.
    “It’s only fair that the users contribute through reasonable fees, like those charged in comparable areas around the state.”
    Camping numbers
    At Inskip Point, up to 3000 campers per night will be accommodated for the peak periods at Christmas and Easter, and up to 1800 per night for the majority of the year.
    The 15km camping zone on Teewah Beach will be limited to 2000 visitors at Christmas and Easter, 1200 per night in the shoulder holiday season and 600 per night in the off season. Up to 3000 people camp there in peak times.
    To compensate, the State Government-owned Freshwater campground will be expanded to take an extra 100 campers per night in peak times, the Sunshine Coast Regional Council camping area on Noosa North Shore is likely to be expanded significantly and new sites will be considered.
    Camping fees will rise slightly to $4.85 per person per night, or $19.40 per family, the same as charged on Fraser Island. The extra revenue will help pay for better sanitation, including daily services and more latrines.
    Speed limits
    To protect pedestrians and campers the EPA will propose a speed limit along the 65km-long beach from Noosa to Rainbow Beach.
    The EPA will ask the Department of Transport, Sunshine Coast and Gympie Regional Councils to support a proposal to impose a general speed limit of 80km/h, with 50km/h limit next to camping sections at Teewah, Freshwater and from Leisha Track to Double Island Point.
    "At peak times, this stretch is as busy and dangerous as any main road in Queensland,” Mr McNamara said. “If you think 80k’s is not quick enough, then maybe you should slow down and enjoy the view. This is a wilderness beach, not the M1.”
    Vehicle management
    The plan also proposes vehicles be excluded from Inskip Point adjacent to the camping area, at Cooloola Beach between First and Third Cutting, and on the last small beach on the north side of Double Island Point.
    “This represents only 7km in 65km of beach so there’s still ample opportunity for sand-driving,” Mr McNamara said. “It gives families the chance to camp at beaches where 4WDs won’t be constantly passing their kids,” he said.
    Inskip Point is also a significant habitat for the endangered black-breasted button-quail and the vulnerable beach stone-curlew.

Will be interesting to see how they police it, and how it will affect the people who live at Rainbow Beach.

I don't fully agree with the over the top costs. They are similar to Fraser. the Fraser level is in place to manage the infastructure and the likes and also becuase of the costs associated with transporting equipment etc to the island, yet Tewah and Rainbow are on the mainland.

I wonder if there is a right of response.

Harry
    I love the sound of reels screaming in the morning

All makes for less beach traffic and that has to be a good thing. If we could now do something about commercial fishing on the North Shore then the permit would be worth the cost as the fishing would be excellent.

We've been waiting for this for a long time - in 1989 we were promised a vehicle permit system to reduce traffic flow ( I still have the Courier Mail article ) as things seemed bad then. 20 years later they are obviously a lot worse, so measures such as these are necessary unfortunately. All in all I believe they are good measures and there has been a lot of input from interested groups which has been reflected in the outcome. It could have been a lot more severe.

I am well aware that as a Teewah landowner, I am one of the main benificiaries of these measures. But having listened to a million complaints about the dangers associated with traffic on this beach over a period of decades, I am well aware that it is in everyones interest. The people who will like this the least are the young hoons who carve up this beach every weekend without fail. They don't care about the fish or the eugaries or pied oyster catchers (eugarie birds). They're interested in getting smashed and doing doughnuts - I know them well.
    These people will have trouble justifying the expense of the permit and are also less likely to be able to afford one on top of drugs, grog and petrol.

Brandon, the Wilderness Track from 1st cut to 3rd is likely to be bitumen by this xmas ( I can recall we were cranky when they bitumened from the ferry the first couple of kilometres) and the 3rd cut will be moved to the northern side of where it currently is to avoid the creek. At this stage the sand cutting will be irrigated to keep the sand firm and there will be distinctly marked up and down tracks of greater than 1 vehicle width each - in case someone still manages to get bogged. Eventually there will be a cafe at the Beachfront Caravan Park (Wilderness Park) which will be double its current size. So we'll be able to go for an early morning spin for tailor and call in for bacon and eggs afterwards. There will also be a 'day use' area with bbqs between the caravan park and the 1st cut and lifesaving facilities. The camels were to be kept in this area but seems as if the terms of the lease prohibit Dave from running the business with any chance of profit - he lost out on the final meeting yest with council and his days here are running out. The 1st cut will still access the river mouth.
    Now all we need is an 18 hole golf course.

Gee you know I wouldn't mind paying the access fee at all if they consolidated all the access permits in to one beach access permit.

Currently I go to Fraser, Moreton, Bribie and the North shore on a regular basis and pay separate fees for each beach (except for North Shore).

Why not have one fee for all beaches, answer - Govt don't make enough money to fund the QR parties I suppose.

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by liltuffy View Post
    Gee you know I wouldn't mind paying the access fee at all if they consolidated all the access permits in to one beach access permit.

Currently I go to Fraser, Moreton, Bribie and the North shore on a regular basis and pay separate fees for each beach (except for North Shore).

Why not have one fee for all beaches, answer - Govt don't make enough money to fund the QR parties I suppose.

Craig
    I think you will find that most peach permits are from the council not qld government.

BUT I'm with you on the one permit though i just cant see it happening.

neil

At least join it with the fraser permit theyare side by side.

slider.
    what u say sounds good to me.
    i have been going up the beach for over 10 yrs now, and must admit, the traffic is a great concern when there are kids about.
    I saw that they want to limit camp sites. Another good idea.
    I have camped there over xmas and easter.
    Its a crazy place.
    Maybe the cost will keep out some idiots.
    I dont have a prob paying $200 per year for the priviledge of having the best accommadation with the best view, 12months of the year.
    Try and get that at $800- 1000 per week somewhere on the north coast.
    I dont think so.
    If i had to book accom on the beach then fine.
    $4.95 per night per head. Gee let me think about that? Anyone who disagrees has got to be kidding themselves.

cheers
    greg

Got to agree with most of the above. I've got no problem with a permit, although I'd be in favour of an all encompassing permit as already mentioned. You can't complain about the camping costs either. Where else do you get to camp in paradise for so little.
    Glad to hear from Slider that the beach access will be greatly improved to handle the traffic. What I'd really like to see is some limitation on the idiots who insist on driving the beach at high tide, ploughing along against the dunes and worsening the erosion.
    I'm also wondering how I'll be able to fish near second cutting - one of the places I like to look for tailor on a rising tide on dusk. Will that still be possible?
    Cheers Freeeedom

Vehicle permits and limited camping are both good.
    I wish it wasn't quite as high as $37 for a one-off trip (I'm unlikely to take 6 trips in the year so would just buy the monthly).
    I really hope this reduces the vehicles and the campers up there. (I've not camped their with the family for a long time because of the crowds and the behaviour of some)

Hopefully they'll get the barge operators at Tewantin to help police it although just going over on the barge doesn't mean you are definitely going on the beach.

hopefully they will get back to what it used to be like in certain areas. no vehicles at all on Bribie or Moreton...not sure about Teewah etc..never been there.

i think with these similar prices i would rather pay the barge and go to frazer! you watch frazer pack out now!

fraser, just adds another couple hrs onto ur trip, then also trip home.
    i will see what happens.
    if what slider says is true, then it sounds ok.

greg

One of the desired outcomes was that Fraser traffic be discouraged from using Teewah and Rainbow Beaches to get there. This through traffic tends to be at high speed for obvious reasons and thus Fraser and Teewah permits can't be joined.

I know what you mean re the 2nd cut Freeeedom - I fish betwen 1st and 3rd more than any other section of beach. There will be parking facilities at or near the 2nd cut (day use facilities) which means not having to drive on the beach and no need for a permit. I'll either walk or ride from the 3rd cut or park at the 2nd or 1st. We've become very used to parking right next to where we fish, but with zero traffic in this section, the fishing can only be better. Certainly families camped at the Beach Front Caravan Park will be far better off without the traffic and that is something that really had to happen. That nobody has been hurt in this area over the years is miraculous. Of course, camping in the caravan park doesn't require a permit unless driving on the beach.

With regard high tide driving - at this stage it doesn't concern me as there is an incredible build up of sand on this beach compared to the 70s and 80s even after erosion last summer. Should a cyclone arrive and remove that sand, then this issue may need addressing. Of importance at this stage is that erosion points (where no frontal dune exists due to vehicle parking bays) are closed off to allow regeneration of sand. When a cyclone or low does hit, then these points will exacerbate the erosion to the dune proper and that's when we'll have a problem. Access points in the cooloola camping area need to be reduced so as to avoid this type of erosion as has occurred at Fraser.

Permits will be available from the new Eco Information Centre which is near completion and located beside the High Tide Hotel. They will also be available on line or by credit card over the phone. A permit is only required if driving on the beach and my understanding is that the 1st cut to river mouth section won't require a permit.

Pinhead, the weekend and holiday traffic here has to be seen to be believed at times - Moreton and Stradbroke are ghost towns in comparison. However, come Monday mornings, there is hardly anyone on the beach.

With the adverse publicity surrounding accidents at Fraser Shano, I wouldn't be surprised if a camping cap is introduced at Fraser as well in the not too distant future. I've been pushing for that for 20 years also and don't understand why it has never happened. Well, I do, but don't agree with the philosophy.

Speed limits remain as they are and as stated above after a strong push to have the whole beach be a 50kph limit. Commonsense has prevailed here.

I've been privy to the whole process of how these decisions came about and why, through minutes from every 'working group' and council meeting, direct contact with the parties with vested interests, councillors and as a member of the Teewah Landowners Assn. I've got to say that the cooperation between all parties has been refreshing and that the negative comments in the media are ill informed or self interested. EPA have actually increased the camping cap from that which was recommended which may surprise the EPA knockers. They haven't forced the issue re toilet facilities in order to reduce foot traffic and faeces in the coloured sand hills however. If the area is to be nominated for World Heritage Listing as stated, then something will have to be done about this. I'm also concerned about an increasing number of horses on the beach. If camels detract from World Heritage possibilities, then surely horses do on a larger scale. They also create more of a traffic hazard than did the camels by far and travel much further north up the beach. I foresee a closure from the 1st cut to the river mouth occurring in the future to combat this issue which Petrac (owners of the North Shore Retreat) would definitely be pushing for. They plan a world class equestrian centre at the current facilities and is why the camels had to go - camels spook horses apparently. Petrac are also tendering for the ferry contract which is up for grabs next year.

Lindsay