Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: $200 per year permit to drive Teewah beach?

Re: $200 per year permit to drive Teewah beach?

Quote Originally Posted by whiteman View Post
    User pays. Not only fair but politically correct. If you don't want your beach shut down by the ever increasing green vote be happy to pay a permit fee which will reduce traffic and improve facilities.

With a permit system you will have some clout. Without it you will be peeing in the wind.
    Hey Whiteman if user pays is the correct way to go then why are my taxes going towards BIKEWAYS ! Put a dam TOLL on them as they are being built and maintained without any users paying.Bicycle riders dont pay rego or fuel tax. Here is a new toll that the government has not hit yet. Maybe I have given them a new idea for a toll.
    I can not see how a Permit System will give me or anybody else more clout.
    As the registered owner of 3 vehicles I should already have Clout.My regos & fuel taxes are much higher than this new TOLL
    As for Nobody doing donuts on Fraser, A DUH, it still happens even after they fork out for a Barge & beach permit.
    I'm still against this RIP OFF TAX . Try & find where any of this money goes . It will be untraceable.You will get answers like " well the administration cost were higher than expected"& some gobbleydygook about what plans are in place for future expenditure ,plus what is being done without saying they were already doing these jobs with monies already allocated.
    Nah!!!! i dont think you will convince me.As it is now, a road or bridge cannot be built without a toll & unless we say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH we will continue to pay Mick
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

Ausfish Platinum Member whiteman's Avatar

tug, you've got to get out more often. There is a little bit of a debate going on at the moment about global warming, environmental sustainability, healthy communities, money needed to fund schools and hospitals .... you can do your impression of King Canute but you need to realise that the vast majority of our fellow Australians are a tad sick of 4WDers hooning around the environment destroying all before them. I see this every day where I live and am friends with some of these people "we stay on the track (which they created in the 1st place) and we don't hurt anything (where do you cook/sleep/crap?)".

As I said above, you should welcome a permit system as it will give you a legitimacy in the eyes of the public. And as for any argument that $200/year will stop anyone who owns a 4WD from sampling the area, what a load of crap. I know how much it costs to keep a Prado running and $200 isn't even a tank of fuel.

Whiteman I have heard about global warming & there are a lot of people who believe & probably a heap who disbelieve.one thing I know for sure is, you can throw as much money as you like at it & it will be gobbled up in the bottomless pit called consolidated revenue & will never be seen again & it will not fix the problem (if there is one)But that is another debate which I have no intention of getting into.
    There are some who tear around our enviroment destroying it as you say but why penalise everyone. As for a permit giving us legitimacy in the eyes of the public I dont agree.Do you believe the Green Movement has any more legitimacy than us.What permit do they have?May be we need a TREE HUGGERS PERMIT theres another one the boffins havent thought of yet.I dont go destroying our beautiful coastline & will stand up & be counted as a responsible 4wder, But I cant see how a permit will make me anymore responsible.
    As you say $200 is not a lot of money (to you) it wasnt that long ago that that same $200 would have filled your Prado & had $$$$$$ left over.As I said previously dont be fooled into thinking it will stay $200. Havent you seen the rises on every toll road & bridge ever built.This is just another money grab by yet another government who figures it will all blow over one day & we will be conditiond to paying all these new tolls.NOT HAPPY JAN Mick

What's the difference between Teewah and Fraser, Straddie, Moreton or Bribie which all have permit systems and have for a while now?

Most of the population (myself included) would think it is a privilege, not a right, to be able to drive on the beach. Eventually it is inevitable that we will not be able to drive on any of these beaches and, in my opinion, putting permit systems in place will help to extend the time that we are allowed to drive on them.

All true, but the logic in the system is the problem. Try a person who frequents each beach several times a year. What's fair for him/her? $1,000? $2,000? It doesn't make sense. The cost doesn't match the usage or the outcome. A system has to be built to work for everyone, and this one doesn't.

Beach maintenance for a gazetted road or a National Park should be funded by the relevant authority, through a budget derived from broad based taxation.

National Parks are supposed to be managed by the Government for the people. There are folks out there doing it hard. A few extra dollars can be the straw that breaks the camel's back. So some will stop going, not because they can't be bothered, or don't want to, but because they can't afford it. How sad's that? And in Australia, too.

Gazetted roads are supposed to be managed by the Government through registrations, fuel tax and so on. They have to stop rolling out this "user pays" mantra, and start responsibly using our money. There is enough money to maintain these areas, if they stop spending on bloated bureaucracies and self serving committees, and start spending on service.

The issue of stopping hoons on the beach cannot, in any event, be justification for charging a fee. It is a justification for heavy Policing, but they won't do that, will they??? Coppers are leaving in droves - even if they wanted to do it, they can't build a force big enough. Why? Because people hate working for these pratts we call a Government.

ATM Bligh has 52% after preferences. Guess who she's selling us out to? The Greens. This will all get worse if she gets back in on their backs.

I might move to Tierra del Fuego. Do they have politicians there?

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

I doubt very much that any of the permit money will be spent on any infrastructure for that area (or anything to do with that area, for that matter). The government is capitalisng on a very public green trend and introducing a tax that keeps the idiot greens happy (therefore much needed preference votes), the ignorant public happy ("oh look, this government IS serious about the environment, look what they did..."), and obviously keeps the govt happy with more revenue.
    It is a dead set crying (literally) shame that for so long the political opposition/alternatve in QLD is akin to letting some ebola infected monkeys loose at the helm.....

It looks like Captain Bligh has noted the unrest. They are now proposing a day pass to be included. I am against the original proposal as it would restrict access to a lot of families who are doing it tough at the moment. These are the same people who CANNOT afford to go to Moreton or Fraser due to the cost of permits and bargesetc.
    Tim is spot on when he calls for increased policing rather than using price as an entry barrier

Neil
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Thumbs down Re: $200 per year permit to drive Teewah beach?

chisel there is no difference between Teewah,Fraser.Moreton & Bribie as they are all gazetted roads.Over the years some have become Toll Roads.Why must every beach become a profit making business for government, just because people want to drive on it.Which is the next beach to become a TOLL ROAD,are they working their way North? Can you see a pattern forming here?If we dont speak up now they will continue to introduce these new TAXES on us.
    You can only speak for your self when you say it is a privelege to drive on the beach , unless you have facts & figures to prove "most of the population think it is a privelege, not a right to drive on the beach"
    As far as i am concerned it is my right to drive along our coastline when it is a gazetted road.This is what we are already paying for.
    If it is inevitable(as you say) that one day we will nolonger be allowed to drive on a beach then the only reason I can see for this time being extended by a permit system is the greed of government.not for the good of the enviroment. As you know they will never give up anything that is a money earner unless a LOUD voice is heard.We tend to be a very quiet majority sometimes & the NOISY minority wins. Stand up & be Noisy ! Still not convinced
    Mick both thumbs still down

If it is your right to drive on the beach that you can currently drive on, why isn't it also your right to drive on all the closed beaches? Most of those were able to be driven on at some point as well but I don't hear too many complaining that they can't drive from Coolum to Noosa anymore.

I'm just glad we can still drive on some beaches.
    If you want to drive on a beach for free there are still some places such as Ballina to the south or around Bundy to the north.

Yeah chisel it is my right and also yours to drive on this beach that we are already being taxed for.As for Coolum to Noosa that is not a gazetted road & we would be breaking the law to drive on it.This is how the law stands today. I dont know if it ever was a road & now there would be too many people on that stretch of beach to allow traffic other than Emergency service vehicles & life guards.I dont want to add new areas to drive on but I also dont want to lose any.AS you say if I want to drive on a beach without a permit then I have to drive all the way to Ballina or further north to Bundy then when these far away places become popular some boffin can put another permit system in place to stuff that up too.Then how far do we have to go?No! lets stop the Crap NOW & kick & scream untill we are heard .
    Mick

Hi Shano,

I think you make a good point. I've been fishing up at DI for over 10 years also and can't believe how crazy it's become (Esp. over the last 5 years).

In that time, Fraser always seemed so expensive and therefore we headed to DI most of the time. With these changes I would definitely consider going to Fraser more often as there is a greater range of activities (and better fishing).

Although, a couple of easters ago, my wife and I were considering heading to DI for the break. I said "Nah, it's always insane up there on long weekends", and we ended up heading west. Had a ball and great spots all to ourselves. When we got home, the front page of the paper was covered with images of campers being sent home from DI (Beach full) if I remember.

The other thing that no one has mentioned is the people this is going to effect - the battlers. 10 years ago most people that went camping drove an old shitty 4wd and went camping because it was all they could afford - a couple of weeks on the beach. This scheme seems to support more yuppie wankers on in their softroaders than the people who are annual travellers to the region.

Thanks,
    Mark C

dont see that many shitty old 4wd anymore. i had one and moved on to something better.
    if iam now a yuppie ###### in my softroader, then who gives a shit.
    what 4wd have u got mark.
    maybe people who are regular visitors can tell what they drive.
    Mark c, thats just a stupid comment.
    I dont mind paying for the privalage of driving on the beach.
    I think the cost of fuel would be a killer before permit fees.

greg

If the problem is rat runners why not just close off a 500m piece of beach and place a hefty fine on anyone going through it? Should reduce traffic with no cost except a couple of signs, problem solved.

Wow about time I lived at Tin Can for 12 mth and it was appalling, Rainbow to Double Island point

Couldn't fish most of the time as risk of getting knocked over and while I was up there 2 people were run over during holidays.

Rubbish everywhere.

At the end of holidays the beach smelt like a toilet from people using the base dune and coloured sands dune as a toilet disgusting.

Drink driving wankers.

Dropkicks getting bogged on the pass because they are inpatient or refuse to let there tyres down.

But i had the best surf I ever had 7ft clear long right hand rides on a cloudy cold winter day for QLD.

Don't get me wrong I like driving on the beach and fishing like everyone else and I live at Port Stephens and the same problems here on Stockton and we have open dunes which invites buckets of #&%#heads and our permit is under $50 which is way to low and should be raised and I wouldn't mind paying.

The Great Lakes shire nth of Port Stephens has permits 200+ dollors and no shorter than a year to buy and there beachs are better regulated and more safer. You don't have to worry about ya family being wiped out in one day.

Tax all the mexicans or let them stay in noosa, Get rid of blighs rabble before she sells everything, and go back to a ballot to go on the beach. (No money in that.)