Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sooty Grunter.

Sooty Grunter.

Hey guys, wondering if you guys wouldnt mind putting up some pictures of sooties you have caught.

Cheers

Re: Sooty Grunter.

G'day Fghjkl,

I'll provide an early starter with this little fella (40cm) caught out of the Katherine River (NT). The other photo (sorry about the quality) is of about 20 of his mates chomping into a little freshy which happened to drift past where I was fishing.

Cheers,
    Roo.

i love katherine (hehe a bit of a hole). did you float down the gorge at all. i miss catching them fellers so much. sootys are by far my favoret fresh water fish to target, that and archer fish, i love em.
    figjam :wink:

awesome shot with the croc, lucky to get agreat shot like that,TOP PHOTOS. CHEERS BDOWDY..BRETT

Here's one my mate Rob caught during a Herbert River Gorge walk in NQ in between barra, mangrove jack, jungle perch and tarpon!!

Myself and bunch of mates plan to walk the same Gorge in October - excited already! - Jim
    'Stick to fishing instead of fighting' - JC

Here's another from the Katherine River

Here's a few, might find a few more tonight

Anyone have pics of sooties from Peter Faust??

Quote Originally Posted by nuggstar View Post
    i love katherine (hehe a bit of a hole). did you float down the gorge at all. i miss catching them fellers so much. sootys are by far my favoret fresh water fish to target, that and archer fish, i love em.
    Hey Nuggstar,

Yeah, I fished the actual Katherine Gorge itself a couple of times. Plenty of sooties up in there to chase ya lures.....

Picked up plenty of decent sized catfish too (up to 90cm) and the occasional barra. With their body weight and a bit of run in the water down thru the Gorge, the bigger catties manage to put up a very reasonable account of themselves.

A couple of times the Guides stopped the Tour boats when I had a decent fish on, so the tourists could all watch. Unfortnately, every time they stopped to watch, it only ended up being a bloody big catty..... The overseas visitors seemed to think it was still OK though and plenty of photos were taken....."Is that a barra?" , "Is that a shark?" I was asked...Some were even surprised when I released them.

Cheers,
    Roo.

For anyone heading up that way with a small boat, I reckon its a great spot to spend a day....Fish or no fish.

a few more

Here's a couple from somewhere different - a couple of plump sooties sharing the river with PNG Black Bass in the Ok Mart a tributary of the Ok Tedi in Papua New Guinea's Western Province.

PS who likes eating sooties - I love em, but they have to be cooked fresh (never frozen) - straight out of the river into the coals of the fire - also found they toughen up during breeding season i.e. when running ripe - otherwise delicious!
    'Stick to fishing instead of fighting' - JC

This one from Faust went 50cm

Gotta love them SOOTIES great fun on light spin tackle..The Herbet river gorge is my fav place to fish for them.. Just watch out for the Bloody big Salties you get there so far inland.

they look like a silver perch on 'roids love to catch one not many down here in NSW but
    Team Pioneer Fish Farm

If you cant catch 'em we'll grow 'em for ya

fishing is only an addiction IF your trying to quit

Heres a sooty that I caught on Sunday morning just gone. He is only a bit over a foot long but he is my first sooty taken on a spinnerbait so I was pretty stoked. Also managed a barra on the same lure. I've had that lure rattling round in the tacklebox for probably 5 or 6 years now and never caught a thing on it till the weekend. Gonna get me some more of these spinnerbaits now....

Cheers,
    Roo.