Thread: Somerset big zip

Somerset big zip

Went for my first bass fish at Somerset at the weekend. Never fished for bass and never fished this dam. Saw plenty of bait shows and fish movement but 1 little touch all day. Went into all the know hot spots throwing jackall's S/P's and spinnerbaits. But I'm not to phased yet as a newby to this dam I'll be back again. It was still better than sitting at home doing nothing. Must explore and read more articles on this place and next time I will defenetly be taking the swag for a camp. Masive camp site and a great spot. Being mainly a salty fisher and still a bit green on freshwater fishing and done a few trips to Monduran and caught some serious barra I'm slowly getting the hang of it . One magor thing is not getting to bashed as you come back from Moreton in the middle of the arvo especially the last part of the trip Deception Bay thats a killer. And not felling as tired at night like you do on the salt even doing the same hours fishing. But with the sale of the old 19 foot centre console at the start of the year. Maybe I'll put in an order for a bass/barra boat. O well here's to dreaming anyway. Or maybe I've been caught by the sweetwater bug.

Thumbs up Re: Somerset big zip

Hi Modo,
    That's not what i wanted to here as there are a few of us heading that way for a camp and a fish in 2 weeks time, we are going for about 7 days. As we go there most school holidays and ever since it has risen from 40% to 87% we have not caught 1 bass or yellowbelly for that matter, and we are not alone i am getting this feed back from most people. My Question is why ?. Dissapointing really because when it was 29% we kicked butt, big bass and yellowbelly and plenty them. My thoughts are maybe when the dam was so low they stoped stocking it. I could be wrong.
    Any other thoughts let me Know, or if there are people out there catching a feed i am open for any directional tips on where top go.

Cheers and happy fishing

Gav

Re: Somerset big zip

hi gav,
    mate i had the pleasure of putting up with modo all day, and god is it a great place and yes i will be heading up there for a camp myself, no doubt modo will be in toe. What we did find was some schools of fish but mainly they where on the bottom with no action, plenty of bait at one stage we even chased feeding birds hopeing this would have brought the fish on. And like modo said we both have a real love for the fresh water fishery now both here in brissy and up at monduran (love those barra).
    anyway best of luck
    shaneoo

Yer sorry Gav but not that experienced enough to tell you why but I think alot of other boats were struggling too. If it was the salt I would have understood more eg: tide, moon phase, other preditors and so on. Anyway have good time up there.

Quote Originally Posted by modo View Post
    Yer sorry Gav but not that experienced enough to tell you why but I think alot of other boats were struggling too. If it was the salt I would have understood more eg: tide, moon phase, other preditors and so on. Anyway have good time up there.
    In my experience of the years fishing Somerset.....I found late September early October the start of the Bass attack....never fished the topend of Somerset...fished from Bay13 south to between the Spit and the Dam wall......Cheers Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Yeh Somerset has been tough this year just like a lot of the bass dams. We found fish hard on the bottom a couple of weeks ago and landed a dozen or so on ice jigs (only thing that worked that day). We have a comp there this weekend so I'll let you know how it's fishing next week.
    Cheers

Hello All

I have done a few trips to Somerset in the last couple of months, have scored a few fish but not a lot.
    With the tin lids if the lures dont work we take some shrimps. And we take a couple of fish home for a feed.
    What I can tell you is that I do not know why we are catching the couple of fish that we do. When I clean the fish I always look carefully in the stomach.
    The fish that we have been lucky enough to catch have been so full of crayfish, small fish and insects that I cannot believe we caught them.

With all the run ins I think there is so much food the fish just cannot be tempted.

I think once the weather gets warmer however things will really fire. But if we continue to get inflows into Somerset then the fish wont need to feed that much at all.

Cheers
    Budgebass

Well Gav maybe it's not all doom and gloom. But like I said I'll be back again.

Thank's for all your opinions on fishing somerset, i just love getting out there, catching a few bass or yellowbelly is always a bonus. Would be greatful to get the report from your comp his weekend also. Just would like to catch a couple as the kids and i love smoked bass. I always take my smoker up when we go. Anyway i will be there for 8 days you would think i could get 1 or 2 in that time, plus should be getting into the better time of the year.

Thanks again everyone

Cheers Gav

Quote Originally Posted by M62 View Post
    We have a comp there this weekend so I'll let you know how it's fishing next week.
    Cheers

Zip

That's not good M62.