Thread: Murray Cod

Murray Cod

I've been meaning to ask about this for a while.... How well substantiated is the 113 kg record?

Re: Murray Cod

Well the record goes back many years its hard to tell. I dunno if anyone here knows that answer.

Cam
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Fair enough, someone here must know though.

I've always found it pretty hard to believe personally

Hi lads,

the best place to look IMHO is goodoodreaming.com.au.

steady would be able to steer you in the right direction.

my understanding is there is no official record, all hearsay.

man, that would be one big barstard cod!!!!

deano

I can't prempt too much here, but in a coupla months a book I've written about greenfish, goldens and bass will be released. It'll be in much the same depth as Barra and the matter of max sizes is addressed. Suffice to say the Walgett record is open to question.

My latest book - Fishing and Camping on Queensland Lakes -has just been released. Every Queensland Lake so far stocked is covered. Along with the backcountry yellowbelly waterholes of the Lake Eyre system and weirs on coastal and outback rivers. I've sent Fitzy a review copy.

Like all stuff to do with my casting, fishing and writing, I let others be the judge - allowing a bit of slack for a 65 year old who still gets a backlash.

Thanks rod. I don't know anything about the 113kg 'record' except that it's claimed by many sources.

What's the story behind the catch? how was it substantiated? when did it happen? who was the angler? what happened to the fish? etc etc

cheers to anyone who offers any info.

Official records accord the catch to bridge builders building one across the Barwon at Walgett. They had access to explosives, as bridge builders do, and as was the practice when building those structures over rivers, the odd charge went towards getting a feed.

The rail stations of the era had platform scales and the avoirdupoise was in quarters and hundredweights. If it was weighted, which seems unlikely, it would have been on one of those devices after being trundled into town on some old British Bedord, an even more unlikely scenario.

Nah, they'd have gutzed it down.

A huge fish, no doubt, the balance of probabilities is that the weight was arrived at by guesswork.

Supporting that view (just mine, my old investigative mind at work) is the fact that next biggest fish recorded are around half that weight.)