Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ultra-Light or Finesse - A difference???

Ultra-Light or Finesse - A difference???

Is there a difference between old fashioned Ultra-Light versus modern Finesse angling? I think so!

My understanding of fishing ultra-light is in favour of the fish.

From what I understand finesse is in favour of the angler.

Ultra-Light:
    A setup for example, would generally consist of 1kg or 2kg pre-test mono line matched to a suitable rod & small reel. PRE-TEST being the operative term as this line breaks at less than the recommended breaking strain. Using 1kg pre-test there isn’t much room for error in fact simply tying knots is almost an art in itself.

Finesse:
    A setup from what I understand generally consists of the same style rod & reel with the main difference being Braided line is used. Most braids break at much more than the breaking strain given & heavier mono or fluorocarbon leaders are used.

As an ultra-light angler I test my skills by trying to land larger fish than the breaking strain of my tackle using ultra-light everything.

Finesse anglers in numerous instances would basically have to land fish of mammoth proportions to be comparative.

Therefore, could it be concluded the word finesse is used to describe basically only the weight being cast by the angler whereas the Ultra-Light enthusiast does the exact same with the exception of having very little room for error?

Re: Ultra-Light or Finesse - A difference???

i always consider them to be the same thing, basically what you describe as Ultra light.
    What you call finesse is what a lot are doing theses days & when in doubt, point the rod straight at the fish & use the reel to crank it in on the tow rope strength braid..

One and the same thing in my book.....

I consider my Stradic 1000 (4lb braid) matched with a new Luvias 2-6lb 7' rod to be an ultra light outfit.

By your definitions ultra-light sounds like a waste of time, while finesse fishing is using modern technology as an aid to catching more fish.

I agree there is a difference. I fish ultra-light 1kg and 2kg pre test mono alot annd it is very satisfying to land a fish heavier than the breaking strain of the line. 4lb braid is no comparison as most people agree that it breaks at around 10lb.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy87 View Post
    By your definitions ultra-light sounds like a waste of time, while finesse fishing is using modern technology as an aid to catching more fish.
    How do you come to that conclusion?

Apart from what has been mentioned which technology are you referring too?

People going for records usually fish what you would call ultra-light, as like you say the mono breaks round about the pre-test breaking strain (if it does not the record does not count). But, unless you're going for records why compromise casting distance and feel when you could go for braid?

If you think you're fishing too heavy you can always go lighter, there are people out there who fish 1 pound braid.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I agree there is a difference. I fish ultra-light 1kg and 2kg pre test mono alot annd it is very satisfying to land a fish heavier than the breaking strain of the line. 4lb braid is no comparison as most people agree that it breaks at around 10lb.

Jeremy
    To me this doesn't matter if you're using light leader. If I fish 4lb braid with a 2lb mono or fluoro leader I see myself as fishing 2lb. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link...
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

Quote Originally Posted by imnotoriginal View Post
    To me this doesn't matter if you're using light leader. If I fish 4lb braid with a 2lb mono or fluoro leader I see myself as fishing 2lb. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link...
    Joel
    Am I wrong in saying that ANSA are now looking into it ( leader strength being the key... but allowing a shock or bite leader) This would be much along the same line as claiming a fly fishing record where the tippet is the line class

This would make sense & would be a step forward into the 21st century

Nagg
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Jeremy
    Not if you fish using 4lb pre test braid Jeremy.....as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Am I wrong in saying that ANSA are now looking into it ( leader strength being the key... but allowing a shock or bite leader) This would be much along the same line as claiming a fly fishing record where the tippet is the line class

This would make sense & would be a step forward into the 21st century

Nagg
    There was an ANSA division, 9 I think, introduced about 4 years ago, which allows people to use a metre of pretest before the leader, to avoid having to spool the whole reel with pretest. I think this might be what you are talking about. Other than that, nothing that I am aware of.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."

Apathy is the enemy

Jeremy
    most people who do alot of ''finnese'' fishing use braid BUT use pe braid which breaks at its tru breaking strain and is igfa rated line, so the 6lb braks at 6lb

Why worry about it unless you are reducing your fish to some arbitrary point score. Why not just use the gear most suitable for the target being pursued that gives you the most enjoyment.
    I like to think my 6kg rig is often a finesse outfit
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

I think there is a significant difference between the 2

I used to troll 1kg off a baitcaster to catch Striped Tuna , Salmon etc ( ANSA days) Now this is Ultra light but no finesse about it what so ever ....... patience & luck yes!
    finesse ..... I see as a whole concept ( lightish lines be it braid or FC & long light leaders or no leaders , small lures / plastics ... fine rods , small reels ... Accurate casts in clear conditions ..... Its all about fooling a fish in difficult conditions. ....... ( lighter gear than you would normally use to target a particular fish )

I fished for yellowfin tuna a couple of times ....... where we fished 10kg mono & no leaders on small hooks ........... just to get them to take a cube I call this finesse fishing too

Well thats how I see it

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by breamnut View Post
    most people who do alot of ''finnese'' fishing use braid BUT use pe braid which breaks at its tru breaking strain and is igfa rated line, so the 6lb braks at 6lb
    I was aware that there is braid out there which is pretest and IGFA rated. I had thought this would have been a small minority of the braid users though?

Jeremy

Apathy is the enemy