Thread: Caught in the storm in a yak

Caught in the storm in a yak

Myself and geoff72 went for a yak yesterday arvo and managed to get caught in the big storm that came through. Lots of wind, rain lightning and hail. I pulled my yak up onto a bank dumped all my fishing gear and pulled the yak ontop of myself so as not to get pelted. Geoff stuck it out in his yak under a shrub with just a landing net to protect himself. Took a crappy pic of him from the cover of my yak. WILD STUFF. Ben

Re: Caught in the storm in a yak

Coulda been worse mate, coulda been a run to Peel Island when it hit you.

That airborne ice stings a tad don't it?

Jack.

just watched it on the news Ben .better you than me but did you get any fish

cheers Paul

Tunaticer , is that what you wre doing? I dont think it got the bay that badly. But yep it definately could have been worse.
    Wombie, No mate not even a hit. I think the bass knew something we did not.
    Ben

wild stuff aye, we only got 1 tiny bass yesterday around the gc lakes before we got pelted by rain aswell.

Wow matey, bad buzz for you and your buddy.. now I know options were limited, but sitting under a tree when there is lightning around ?

I think pulling the yak up over yourself was probably the best bet.. people who take refuge under trees get zapped!
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

Dirty sanchez,As you say options are limited, It is either get under a smallish tree or Be the largest thing on a flat body of water with a couple of graphite lightning rods stuck in the air. But yep under the yak was the best thing i came up with. Ben

I was on my way back from Peel in the morning battling the wind and current took me 3.5 hours and I was worrying about the coming storm the whole time. Got in a good while before it hit fortunately

That's one way of rechaging your sounder battery, just wire up one of the fishing rods to the battery and paddle about in the storm... MIGHT void the warranty but.... ;-)