Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: S10 Equivalents

Re: S10 Equivalents

Egrell is Blue the Bear is Maroon
    Egrell are the higher mod graphite

Hi Ismail82,

I'm sorry mate, but there are no equivalents to the egrell s10. I'm not trying to be a sm@rt@rse. The fact is that Eric Grell has designed such a unique blank there is nothing else like it on the market. The egrell has a tip that folds away to a definite "lock up" point, and the way the second section of the rod loads up is unique to his rod designz - the s10 grell is a totally unique blank, eric gets them specially and specifically rolled up.

I'm not on the egrell payroll or anything else like that, and there are some other lovely blanks out there, but eric's are that unique and purposely designed.

the Japanese Style blanks have a much more parabolic shape loading up through the length of the rod and the US blanks have a totally differetn feel again. Have a chat to Duncan @ Fish Head Victoria Point or Ant @ Crew Marine Redcliffe. These guys are a weath of info on this stuff.

The Bear is still a high modulous graphite, but has more forgiving characteristics -

cheers

rhys

Rhys,I heard a whisper that Berkley have made a very 'similar' rod to the s10.
    Dunno how true it is.Time will tell.
    I wouldnt mind hearing from anybody with a SJR 844 Loomis.

Toddy

Think i might order my own blank, the technology seems to be avaliable to anybody that way i can customise it to my liking

http://www.ctsfishing.com/

where do you think egrell get their blanks from...

Quote Originally Posted by revs57 View Post
    Hi Ismail82,

I'm sorry mate, but there are no equivalents to the egrell s10. I'm not trying to be a sm@rt@rse. The fact is that Eric Grell has designed such a unique blank there is nothing else like it on the market. The egrell has a tip that folds away to a definite "lock up" point, and the way the second section of the rod loads up is unique to his rod designz - the s10 grell is a totally unique blank, eric gets them specially and specifically rolled up.

I'm not on the egrell payroll or anything else like that, and there are some other lovely blanks out there, but eric's are that unique and purposely designed.

the Japanese Style blanks have a much more parabolic shape loading up through the length of the rod and the US blanks have a totally differetn feel again. Have a chat to Duncan @ Fish Head Victoria Point or Ant @ Crew Marine Redcliffe. These guys are a weath of info on this stuff.

The Bear is still a high modulous graphite, but has more forgiving characteristics -

cheers

rhys
    I think you will find the blanks are from CTS [NZ], a top blank producer for all forms of rods and famous for their Fly rods. Although Gary Howard has been using CTS for years I prefer his 'Soft Tail' made from a Shikari blank as an Egrell compatible .

Ok thanks for all the info. Now for the big question, where is the best place to get an S10 or two from? Am thinking of matching them to a Sol 4000 or advantage 4000.

There is a full list of suppliers on the Egrell website mate.
    The Tackle Warehouse at Camp Hill has a good range.
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

Logan River Marine do Good prices

The blanks which CTS make for Eric are not the same as their standard range. Only Eric Grell can buy the blanks that he sells, because they are made to his specs only. They are different from the Gary Howard CTS based blanks too. If you want to buy a S10, then the only place to get one from is a Ergell reseller.
    Tim

i just bought a bear B8-6 baitcaster from Foxies Barra Havoc in Gin Gin. They are great to deal with over the phone

Quote Originally Posted by ismail82 View Post
    TheSaint,

I was considerng a mossyback but which one. Its a bday present for my bro who is becoming keener on fishing, hence the question.

BSR852 Mossyback Spin

It's 7"1' , 6lb-12lb

Fish Head at Vic Point carries the Egrell range

the mossyback bsr852 is nothing like the egrell s 10. totally useless information there the tip is much stiffer than the s10 and has nowhere near the pulling power either. also the 400 sized reels that suit the s10 are way too big for that rod even a 3000 would be too big imo. that rod suits a 2500 sized reel(all daiwa sizes)

Quote Originally Posted by matt__hill View Post
    the 400 sized reels that suit the s10 are way too big for that rod even a 3000 would be too big imo. that rod suits a 2500 sized reel(all daiwa sizes)
    Depends what your using it for. In the bay a 2500 i guess would be OK for squire and snapper and small mac's / tuna but if your using it offshore or for bigger tuna, a 2500 does not hold enough 20 / 30lb line to make it a suitable sized reel.

Personally i think the S10 matches the 4000 stradic/sustain perfectly, which i guess is similar to a 3000 daiwa.