Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Canoe for Tropical Creeks?

Re: Which Canoe for Tropical Creeks?

Every national park website recommends canoes are "NOT" used in estuaries anywhere north of Rockhampton. The advice should be taken as sound advice. People are taken from canoes by crocs. SImple. Infact Lakefield national park has signs about it everywhere yet someone decided to ignore it and was taken.

It is a two fold problem. They offer no side protcection and they look like a crocodile from underneath, so even a territorial attack can be fatal. Also the rowing action is the very sound crocs are attracted to.

Don't want to put a damper on your adventure but please take some sound advice. I live in croc country.
    You are entitled to my opinion!
    -----------------------------------------

Thanks for the concern guys. I never intended using it in any saltwater environment, just the fresh creeks. I've seen bits on TV with people fishing from canoes in areas like the Tully. Another river I'd like to explore is the Herbert, but again in both cases above the salt. I realise just because it is fresh that it is still very possible to get salties though. I also read an article a while ago by Warren Steptoe, and they took canoes to Cape York to target the fresh up there. Not that that necessarily makes it safe.

Another option might be a 10 punt style of boat, but would this be much safer than a 4.9m canoe? I could use the same leccy for both.

Thanks,
    Dave.

A punt would be a far better choice......and one with high sides .

It is well known and stated in government published warnings that crocks can be found hundreds of kilometers inland and well up into the fresh....and not just the snappy little local fellas either.

My brother likes to show pictures of one of the places he goes to up the gulf...... there is the weir.....quite some way inland......boat ramp for the fresh above the weir..... boat ramp for the salt below the weir......plainly visible resident large crock at both crusing about 30m out......water skiing isn't popular arround there.

Remember it isn't the one you see you have to worry about

MMM a punt and a big stick

your lecky would be good but a small petrol would be good to.

cheers

Dave, I've not long come back from a 4 day walk up in the Herbert Gorge, way up in the fresh in Girrigun N.P.

How far up in the fresh you may ask - well not too far from Blencoe Falls and one of the guys I was with got a nice Jungle Perch.

There are some very impressive salties up there too.

Major, permanent flowing river systems like the Herbert should definitely be off your list. Lots of people do it I know but I reckon it's madness and those crocs are getting more common with every passing year.

Quote Originally Posted by borisdog View Post
    Dave, I've not long come back from a 4 day walk up in the Herbert Gorge, way up in the fresh in Girrigun N.P.

How far up in the fresh you may ask - well not too far from Blencoe Falls and one of the guys I was with got a nice Jungle Perch.

There are some very impressive salties up there too.

Major, permanent flowing river systems like the Herbert should definitely be off your list. Lots of people do it I know but I reckon it's madness and those crocs are getting more common with every passing year.
    Thanks borisdog, I appreciate your comments. Think I'll stick to walking the banks and be careful with that too! Are you going to post a report on your Herbert trip, as I'd love to hear more about it and see some pics if you have any.

Regards,
    Dave.

Dave - PM for you mate.

Darryl

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    It is well known and stated in government published warnings that crocks can be found hundreds of kilometers inland and well up into the fresh....and not just the snappy little local fellas either.
    I personally don't wear the things. I reckon they look ridiculous on peoples feet.
    I wouldn't be caught dead with a pair on.

http://www.allmarketing.co.il/_Uploa...3crocks(1).jpg

Don't get me started on uggly shoes .

cheers