Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kickin Out The Winter Blues - Monduran This Week

Kickin Out The Winter Blues - Monduran This Week

It was too much to bear, all this talk about IBD, camp fires, new gear, tuning lures, big barra, to much I tell ya. I was dragging my bum around the house, sighing and looking longingly at the tinny, when in a moment of sainthood, Debs handed me a leave pass to go and chase an August fish, god bless her.
    I hit the water up there around 1.30 Wednesday arvo, water temps were low, as you would expect, and as I cruised up the dam I had the eyes wide open for anything that might say “fish here Brian”. The first bay on the right past White Rock looked the goods, pelicans and shags patrolling the shallows, so I turned the hornet in, cut the yammy early, and glided in on the electric to start fishing a sloping bank in about 8 foot of water, slightly warmer than the main arm, but not much.

A lively mid 70 fish, and a nice 90 were the result, yeeha, I had my August Barra, plus a couple of short strikes and a jump off from a big fish that sidled up to the suspending Reidys a rod length from the bow, “holy sh*te”, the slightest of twitches and the lure was engulfed, the fish went airborne on a very short length of 50 bionic, and the end result was my lure landing back at my feet. That little show made the trip up worth it just by itself.
    I met the bloke who leases the land up there, he was walking the bank checking his cattle with his dogs, popped out of the scrub JM style, near gave me a heart attack, nice bloke called Tony, we shared a yarn and he was good enuf to take a pic of the 90 for me.

Thursday was overcast all day, I started off by bouncing off a small fish around 8.00 am, and that set the pattern for the rest of the day, swirls, flashes, 2 bust offs, including one fish that engulfed the lure I had just spent 10 minutes tweaking, and then charged into some drowned lantana in 3 foot of water, gill cutting me off in the process. You could track that fish’s progress through the lantana as it stormed thru, awesome.

I finished the day, and the trip by nailing a nice fish up at B, spotted a clear channel between two bits of drowned lantana, thought there has to be a fish in there, and yup, there was, maybe a 90 that self released at the side of the boat.
    So, its going to be a big summer boys n girls, water is at 36%, both ramps are good and the dam is pretty as a picture, heaps of fish, roos on the bank, in one of the bays on Thursday I had the privilege of spending some quiet time watching a couple of Platypus going about their business.
    Head on up, be safe on the roads, and look forward to every ones success this summer

Cheers
    brian

Re: Kickin Out The Winter Blues - Monduran This Week

Good stuff Brian, great report and pics. Man the boy's will be twitchin' now...............How many sleeps boy's n girls? Cheers, Pete.

Veeeeerrrrryy nice Brian!!

I knew you'd done a sneaky but I wasn't sure when. A warm day today and heating up next week - just as I arrive (I hope!) - tells me the season is changing....

Your best pic is the concrete boat ramp with only three trailers there (is one of them your's ?). Hopefully the crowds will stay away for a few weeks yet.....

Obviously you haven't lost your touch - well done. A great report that has definitely got me twitching with six sleeps to go!

Regs

Pete

PS Wot's the story with those shorts? Beware, you may get arrested by the fashion police.....

Blue utes mine Pete, and hey, those are my lucky shorts, shirt, hat, sunnies and thongs lol.
    sent ya a pm

cheers
    brian

[quote=BR65;884354]hey, those are my lucky shorts, shirt, hat, sunnies and thongs lol/quote]
    They must work........

Who said you can't catch Barra in winter. Well done. Great report and some good fishing.
    Dave
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

I new it...I new it....I said to Tropical Trout that u were very quite lately and I reckon u had snuck a sneaky in as a result of the dreaded uncontrollable urge.......U did Ok Brian a bit of fun and games........Looks like the Cabin ramp will be Ok to put in.......Thanks for the piccies and report mate....Not long to go know......Cheers Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

nice one brian, hope it was relaxing as well...

Cheers for the update Brian!! Sounds like a great couple of days and good to see your IBD is under control for another few weeks at least. Did they all take the reidy's? I'm sure i'm not the only one who has developed an uncontrollable twitch whilst reading you report.
    Very jealous of Pete and Kyle with only 6 sleeps to go.
    Cheers Kim.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'

Thanks for the report Brian, as usually you are onto the fish. Encouraging to hear of the number of hits and fish you did get. It must have been very peaceful and relaxing up there on our own. Well done mate and thanks for the photos. Hoping to be up there myself in about 4 weeks - cheers Richard

Quote Originally Posted by chewy01 View Post
    nice one brian, hope it was relaxing as well...
    winter fishin Chewy, bacon and eggs prior to a gentlemans start, any more relaxed and you would have had to check me for a pulse, especially after last weeks fishin trip

Quote Originally Posted by rc@hinze View Post
    Thanks for the report Brian, as usually you are onto the fish. Encouraging to hear of the number of hits and fish you did get. It must have been very peaceful and relaxing up there on our own. Well done mate and thanks for the photos. Hoping to be up there myself in about 4 weeks - cheers Richard

lots of fish up there in the shallows Richard, just couldn turn all the lookers into takers, still, Im not complaining, this time last year I would have laughed at the thought of barra fishing in August.
    4 weeks should see a change in their attitude though.
    cheers
    brian

Awsome session there mate, and good effort getting them out of the water in winter!

Cam
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

Quote Originally Posted by themissus View Post
    Cheers for the update Brian!! Sounds like a great couple of days and good to see your IBD is under control for another few weeks at least. Did they all take the reidy's? I'm sure i'm not the only one who has developed an uncontrollable twitch whilst reading you report.
    Very jealous of Pete and Kyle with only 6 sleeps to go.
    Cheers Kim.

B52's mainly Kim, the gold boney bream drew some interest, a little barra magnum was short struck a couple of times, no joy with the soft plastics though. The fish that buried me in the lantana was on a bleeding mullet arafura, weighted so it hung in the water and then minisculey slow twitched back to the boat so it didnt dive to deep.
    Geez I wish I was up there tomorow

cheers
    brian

Fantastic report Brian!

I don't think I can last much longer and the lure of Monduran will be too great!

Cheers
    Tony