Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kickin Out The Winter Blues - Monduran This Week

Re: Kickin Out The Winter Blues - Monduran This Week

Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    Great report Brian, glad to see other people starting to experience the joys of winter fishing. It's good to hear that monduran is fishing so well, still too cold, windy and rough to do any good at awoonga. It's so tough that it's driving some people crazy. There is a little island at the mouth of new zealand gully and it has a colony of rabbits on it. Yesterday as I was driving past I noticed a boat with 3 guys on board pull up on the island and proceed to chase the bunnies all over the island with there oversize environet, I suppose they were hoping to put something in the net for their trip to awoonga.

cheers scott.
    Thats gold Scott.
    That winter fishing is the go, so few people on the water, magic.

Craig, saw your report mate, all I can say is "BLOODY WIND"

Deano, you sound like you fish the same as me

cheers
    brian

Brian mate firstly congratulations what an awesome trip, especially for a travelling angler. A trip to remember mate. Even a bit of a sneaky pete trip under the radar....

I see that lure was down the gob of that nice barra. I got one good hookup on a garfish plastic, but the barra got away. It could have just been one of those things or i stuffed it up. Either way it was fun seeing a jumping barra around the boat again. You have to love those shots.

I found fish more timid mate after that change. NO excuses here at all, just relaying what happened on my trip on the weekend. I even cast right next to fish and they just spooked and left. Some were holding in the sun. I didn't make a noise and paddled in and tied up to trees etc. JM thought some might be sick if we cold see them and didn't spook right away. Different behaviour maybe. I saw a couple of dead fish. That cold change was something else - i burnt a big stack of firewood that night mate ha. Old mate larry the lizard wasn't moving much.

Hot weather for a few days - active fish. I reckon crab man and i should have landed a lot of fish friday, i stuffed up and only got out there for a couple of hours friday. Window missed there.

I reckon they were doing a bit of digesting on the weekend. Still catchable, but not extremely interested in presentations put right in front of their face. It's a funny place monduran, lots of little tucked away areas - there could be active fish just around the corner, like the last trip i did. Someone might have even done this on the wknd.

You did well to figure out the slow, slow retrieve to land em mate well done.
    Thanks for taking the time for a yarn on the phone, it's easier than emails, and thanks for sharing with fellow ausfisho's as well i hope our threads help the boys in some way this weekend

I can't believe we camped less than 50 metres away and didn't know we were there. Should be detectives hey!!! You should have known by the fireplace that it was me, and i camped in siberia as usual!!!

See you up there soon.
    Cheers Lyndon.

mate, sounds like that change was nasty, glad I wasnt trying for a fish in that. Probably a good thing I didnt recognize you when you rolled in on thursday nite, that Friday morning drive back to Brizvegas with a hangover would have been hard to take

cheers
    brian

nice pick up on the piccy mate, that fish commited for sure, when I saw that lure placement the mental diary began takeing notes on a few things.
    Re the bays, I liked the inlets that turned at 90 degrees to the main part of the bay, bit of protection from the wind, give the sun a chance to warm them up before the wind knocked a few degrees off.
    what was the garfish softy, one of those mods youve been showing us glimpses of??

The Garfish was just a standard issue plastic - i don't really look at brands so i can't remember it mate i just look at the function the plastic/lure can do for me.

Scotty asked me the same question today. I will pop a pic up of one in my thread. It's a light plastic set up with a light jig head and best used with 20-30lb to get some action on it etc. I reckon hooking up had more to do with finding active fish etc.

Where were your other fish hooked up mate?
    E.g. Down the throat like the one in the pic etc?

Cheers Lyndon

the other one netted was a clean connection in the bottom lip on the rear treble mate, and the escapees, dunno, where ever it was it wasnt good enuf to stay put, Im starting to develop a bit of a theory on B52's and hook up retention, or maybe Im just getting paranoid.

Sorry to drag this one up again, but I'm with you on B52's. I have started to run a 1/0 front and #2 rear st66's and have started to double split them on hyperwires #5 splits. When I hook one on my redington 5'6 RFX I can almost guarantee that I will release it early in fact I can't remember landing one. I try to keep them down during the fight and am thinking that the changing rod angles (combined with change in line tension) during the fight combine with the jumping fish to dislodge the hook. However B52's seem to be the worst. I try to strike them really hard at least twice during the initial stages but it doesn't seem to work. Had a mate up there last time and he got his on B52's but kept the rod (6' rod as well and not as soft) tip up and stuck it to them, hooked 2 and landed both. Rod angles is definitely something that I don't think enough of pre, during and post hooking a fish. Interesting stuff to consider anyway

Cheers Brian

Scott

Ahhhh, so its not just me at all.
    Scoot, I double split most of my HB's, includeing the B52's, and generally have a mix of #1, #2 or 1/0 ST66 owners, depending on what Im trying to get the B52 to do, slow rise, suspend or slow sink.
    Rod angles dont worry me to much, I probably fish a bit high stick early, depending on where Im fishing, trying to keep the head up and away from those gnarly snags I cant see, but know are their, but when I see that line angle shallow out as a precursor to a bit of aerial action, I drop the rod angle, still keeping a tight line. If its a point or open water, I'll fish with a shallower rod angle, almost horizontal at times to try to keep the fishs head down.
    I struggle a bit more in the actual strike/first 5 seconds with the B52's, I get a bit of weight on, and then gooone, its not hook exposure, I was puting it down to general body shape or something, I dunno, still scratching my head looking for the answer, best I go fishing again I spose.

cheers
    brian