Thread: $$$ to spend

$$$ to spend

Ok, I have finally been pensioned off from work and am looking at buying a Formosa 5.8 centre console.

I'm wide open (thats sounds good.....lol) to the forums thoughts on what electrics I need to go out wide safely.

I'm thinking:

1. Radios
    2. GPS
    3. Fish Finder
    4. Radar

Anything else? And which models would you recommend? My retirement was only silver not golden so there is a finite amount of funds available for this project.

In advance, thanks for your input.

michael
    "This space is saved for my next special catch"
    "Rainy" Haines Hunter 540C Yamaha 130 HPDI
    28lb King Salmon
    18lb Steelhead (Rainbow) Trout
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

Re: $$$ to spend

Michael, you lucky bugga.......IMO i like Garmin and furuno, if you shop with Pat at ( Fishon ) you will get a hell of alot more than if you would buy local....................................VHF the Icom M304 is good.....GPS the Garmin 4212 is a great unit, 12.1" screen and a Furuno 585 sounder, as for a radar... good for pinging other boats if they are on a good spot, it will work with the 4212 http://www.fishonmarine.net/SearchResults.asp

good luck with it all...................Daz

mate, don't know how lucky I am, the ticker is misfiring..........but I'm ready to make hay while the sun shines.........

Thanks for the input..........

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo View Post
    Michael, you lucky bugga.......IMO i like Garmin and furuno, if you shop with Pat at ( Fishon ) you will get a hell of alot more than if you would buy local....................................VHF the Icom M304 is good.....GPS the Garmin 4212 is a great unit, 12.1" screen and a Furuno 585 sounder, as for a radar... good for pinging other boats if they are on a good spot, it will work with the 4212 http://www.fishonmarine.net/SearchResults.asp

good luck with it all...................Daz
    28lb King Salmon
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

yea i like what wahoo recommended all good value for money . in regards to the furuno checkout trymax marine as they are doing good deals which hardly make it worth while buying from the usa , but the garmin might have to come from fishon

good luck with the retirement

Hi Fish n Dive

Don't forget the EPIRB for your added Safety. But apart from that you can never have to many Gizmo's.

Nathan

Hi

I am not pensioned off yet but have my new Formosa 5.2 on the production line.
    Electronics-- well have gone with Furuno 620 fish finder, Navman 5507 gps and latest CMap.
    These are from local dealers. I thought of going overseas to but decided it wasn't really worth the hassle.

Ronnie

Well, I've made my 1st decision and I'm getting a Furuno 585 sounder.

As well, i'm going for an Icom pair of radios.........

The GPS/Chart plotter is a bit harder.....do I want (need) to integrate it with other instruments?

Also, I'm thinking I'll get the 16 nm Furuno Radar but still not sure.

So, hows it looking people?
    28lb King Salmon
    12lb Brown Trout
    6.5lb Brook Trout
    12lb Murry Cod
    6'+ Bronze Whaler Shark

Quote Originally Posted by fish-n-dive View Post
    Well, I've made my 1st decision and I'm getting a Furuno 585 sounder.

The GPS/Chart plotter is a bit harder.....do I want (need) to integrate it with other instruments?

So, hows it looking people?
    i have a raymarine c70 intergrated with my furuno 585 which gives me gps speed and distance on the 585 display and i find that handy .

your icom radio ( assuming it is vhf ?) should have dsc function which you will need to nmea connect to your gps to work so yea i would have the fcv585 /gps/radio connected with the nmea network .