Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: haines 445r-f conversion is under way. Updates regularly

haines 445r-f conversion is under way. Updates regularly

Finally found a nice little haines 445r to buy to turn into a 445f (center console). Ill update this thread as the project goes on.

It came with a 2007 model 70hp tohatsu that i will be trading or selling to get a 4 stroke to save fuel while trolling. It had a transom re build in 2004. I will be replacing the floor and making it the same hieght from transom to bow. The fun begins tomorrow when i set about pulling it to bits.

I took it out for a run this arvo and it handles like a gem.

Heres a few photos.

By the way- If any one knows any one looking to buy a 70hp 2 stroke let them know this one is for sale. Has very low hours and would suit new buyer. Still has 2 and a bit years of warranty that is transferable.
    Last edited by jeffo; 23-08-2008 at 05:45 PM. Reason: name change

Re: haines 445r-f conversion about to get under way

A few more. In some of the shots you can see the evidence of the transom rebuild. Please feel free to add any ideas or constructive critisism as we go along. It all helps!

Nice low profile Phill! She'll be hard to spot on a sloppy day,should keep the doggers away!

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Top little boats the 445, looks in pretty good nic. What's you plan to make the deck into a cc? Going to remove the deck or cut the deck?
    My brother made a cc out of an old 14'6" fibreglass brooker a few years ago. The brooker if you've seen one has very similar look and lines to the 445r. He did a top job of it, made his own fg console, motor well, replaced floor, casting deck etc. will see if I can get some pics and post them if you like.
    Regards Wayne

that would be good Wayne, the more ideas the better! Cheers.

Ian- you know i hate fishing in crowds!

very clean looking boat to begin with jeff. nice.
    steve

I know where there is a perfectly good Centre Console Haines with a dud Motor that has not moved for probably 6 years, might go and see him and see if he wants to unload it cheap, or better still see his wife, she will probably give it away!

thats a bugger you didnt see my thread about a month ago Noel when i was looking desperately for one!

good luck with it, you are embarking on a big job, but if you love boats and have some spare cash you will enjoy all of it

Hi there Jeffo. It's an ambitous project you are undertaking. As mentioned by my brother Wayne_red on an earlier post I completed a similar project on a Brooker 148. The fiberglassing is not difficult a few simple instructions and the rest is practice (you will get plenty of that). Fiberglassing is not cheap, buy your resin in 20 litre drums and be prepared to buy a number of them. Get your self some rollers for working the mat, latex gloves, some talcum powder, acetone to wash up and your away. Use the 1mm thick cutting discs on a 4" grinder when cutting to minimise the dust and don't forget the mask. Get an old vaccum cleaner and clean up often unles you want the itches every time you go near it. Give some thought on the gunwhale support when you cut the foredeck off. I left 3 inches of the original deck mould on when I started cutting. I also built in a 60 litre underfloor tank to save space.

Here are a few shots of my boat, I have since sold it. It cost me $280 on a galavanised trailer, no rego, no motor. It was a good project but I was happy when I finished it, a lot of hours. My previous project was a V Sea makeover that turned out nice also.

Happy to give more advise if you want it.

Shayne

nice purchase jeffo! look forward to see how it progresses!!

Shayne - very tidy project - nice work!

Here are the before shots and a couple taken during the project.

Shayne

looks great shayne, thanks for the photos. Im begining the long road today.

Re: haines 445r-f conversion is under way. Updates regularly

OK, well a day of mixed feelings working on the boat. Got everything stripped off in great time with no hassles.

Re: haines 445r-f conversion is under way. Updates regularly

had some lunch then out with the grinder to rip the floor up...this is where things turned ugly. i knew the floor must have been rotten as it was very soft....but i was hoping that the stringer/s and bearers were good- they werent.SO its off with the engine and pull it all apart and start again. Not exactly what i was hoping for but at least once its done its as good as a new boat.
    Last edited by jeffo; 23-08-2008 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling