Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: haines 445r-f conversion is under way. Updates regularly

Re: haines 445r-f conversion is under way. Updates regularly

Hi guys, i picked the boat up yesterday arvo so i can do a bit more work myself on it. The transom had a bit of a re vamp and came up looking great (and a bit more modern i think). we removed all the old crappy bits of alloy trim, sanded the transom back flush and glassed over it.

The bow area was a bit trickier as i wanted to keep the internal freeboard as deep as i could. So i had to sacrifice the lines of the boat a bit to do so. It came up well and the sides come up well above my knees the whole way around which is what i wanted. The lines of the boat will be helped when i put the bow rail and spray dodgers on.

he still has a few little things to do to finish the job completely when i take it back to prep it for paint.

I am now going to sand the rest of the old flow coat off and put new stuff on, then fit the console and make sure all the drainage holes are completely sealed with flowcoat.

Another few weeks and i will be ready to fit her out.

Heres a few photos.

nearly there jeff. it looks great.
    i did the same thing with my transom. much neater.
    steve

Jeff - are you going to take out that foredeck? Maybe it looks bigger than it is from the top view looking at the other side shots ?

Startin to really come together now - nice job.

Cheers

Greg

Looking really good there mate, I had the same question as Greg that foredeck would be geat cut out into a casting platform?

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Hi guys, yeah that photo from above looks deceptive. The foredeck is actually only 750mm long now. I cut about 300-400mm off it already. In the shot looking forward from the transom you will notice the small bulkhead under where the foredeck now stops. I am going to use all this area to store lifejackets ect. I would have cut it further forward but then i would have lost more storage area, which is already at a minimum.

I think the foredeck is cut short enough to easily be able to follow a fish around the front with a short rod so thats all that is required really.

Hey mate, one hell of a project you've taken on there but really starting to see some good results. Looking forward to the next stages and the photos, it will be an awesome rig when your done i'm sure.

Jas

Jeff,
    have you looked at rod holders and their positioning? The 445f had those narrow little gunnels and mounting rod holders was a pain in the rear.

Love the work so far tho, enough to consider a project of my own, then again maybe not. lol

Josh

shit you have put some work into it already jeff it is coming together very nice

cheers justin

Josh, i have tracked down some slim line stainless rod holders. They fit nicely into the gunwhales.

What's happening Jeff? How far along are you know?

will put some more photos up this arvo when i get the boat back from the painter. Very close to fit out now!!

Picked her up from the painters today. Here's some photos i took today, the console went in about 2 weeks ago.

My good camera doesnt want to download the photos so heres some i took on another camera. A shame they are so grainy but it gives a general idea.

I found an original haines 445f console to put in her.
    Last edited by jeffo; 29-03-2009 at 07:10 PM.

has it still got a fair bit of room around the console and taking the nose cover off and strengthing that is that possible i have a idea i neeed to have a go at one of these projects i only just finished my tinnie one a while ago and it looks good but i enjoyed it so much im keen to get a hold of a old hanes hull and have a crack at it my self

Nipsta-having a crack at a project like this requires a massive amount of time. If you read the first few pages of this thread you may notice at first i thought it may take a month or 2....5 or so months later and im just starting to see reward for effort now. I now know why there are so many "unfinished projects" for sale!! There is miles of room for my needs in the boat.

A bit of an update for those who may have been following my project.

The engine was bolted back on this week and ive started doing a bit of fit out.

The only real hurdles now are getting a bit of stainless fabrication done for bow rails and a windscreen, and getting the batteries in and wiring it up.

A few more photos for those interested to follow.

Ive added a photo of how i have set up some rod holders out on a 45 degree angle from the boat with the limited width of the gunwales. I found some slim line rod holders, and cut some packers to size out of a nylon cutting board. Did the job nicely and doesnt look out of place i dont think.
    Last edited by jeffo; 09-04-2009 at 08:33 PM.