Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: haines 445r-f conversion is under way. Updates regularly

Re: haines 445r-f conversion is under way. Updates regularly

Looking good Jeff, looks like it will see water before xmas. Nice flowcoat job

Very nice work mate! Any more pics?

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Very nice work mate! Any more pics?

Cheers

Chris

looks good mate, as above - anymore updates

Jeffo
    Only came across your thread yesterday. I have a 146C Haines that might need some work, and found this thread very informative. Thanks for taking the time to keep updating your progress and congratulations on a great effort and your patience.
    Willdoe

I think Jeffo's been spending wayyyyyyy to much time behind the helm of Ballistic and wayyyyyyyy to much time tagging bills to have done much on the 445 ! How about a long over due update , and i'm not talking about the numbers of marlin you have tagged!

ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Sorry for the delay in updates guys.

I took the boat to a guy who has done alot of work on boats in our gamefishing club so get some cosmetic work done on the front of the boat that i wasnt game to do.

Hopefully ill have some photos by the end of the week to share.

Looking forward to it.

Jeffo
    I've always thought the deck of my 146C Haines was just premolded glass and then glassed in. I had the transom replaced 6 years ago and it looks like they just cut the floor out just in front of the fuel tank well and then reinstalled it. I'm interested to know how your original deck was constructed.
    Thanks Willdoe

Willdoe- the floor of the haines was about 4mm of glass layed over ply that was about 6 or 7mm thick. The floor is now 12mm ply with one layer of 450gsm chopped strand matt undernieth and 3 layers of 450gsm chopped strand around the top edges where they meet the hull then 2 layers over the rest.

Smile Re: haines 445r-f conversion is under way. Updates regularly

Jeffo
    Thanks for the reply, I suspect I am going to need some stringer work and wanted to know what is involved. The rest of the thread has covered most of the other stuff I wanted to know. Good luck with your project.
    Willdoe

Wildoe, do yourself a favor and get a few quotes to do what ever you need done. IMO its not worth the hassle doing it yourself. Its a double edged sword, i now know what lies under my boat and learnt a fair bit about glassing, but it would have been far easier, quicker and probably not much more expensive to get some one else to do the work.

Smile Re: haines 445r-f conversion is under way. Updates regularly

Jeffo,
    Thanks again for the advice, it fits in with my son's belief that it is better for him to work overtime doing something he knows about and use the OT money to pay someone to do things out of his area of expertise. I accepted his advice and took the boat to Arnolds Fiberglass Repairs at Hamment.

Arnold reckons the damage is not damaged stringers but someone has cut through the hull with a diamond disc. and filled it with bog and painted over it. I can only suspect it happened when I had my transom replaced in 2003. He is also going to look for a leak in my floor that allows water to get down into the the hull.

Willdoe.

Good call willdoe, i have always had the same belief as your son but for some reason over ruled my judgement on this one.

Live and learn i spose.

any more new photos Jeffo??