Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: haines 445r-f conversion is under way. Updates regularly

Re: haines 445r-f conversion is under way. Updates regularly

since my last update there has been sanding and more sanding. Today i filled the small divets where the old stringers sat with bog then a 40mm wide strip over the top. Also filled the void between the transom timber and the hull.

yesterday arvos session was only a short one so i only got to bog around where the transom meets the hull and glass a 200mm strip in to make the other layers of glass that will go on easier to roll in. Using chopped strand peices in the bog for a little extra strength ( i love over building things). All glass so far is 600gsm chopped strand.

Its a bit of a pain doing an hour or so after work each day and not being able to get a real roll on.

lookin good mate!!

looking neat jeff. good one.
    steve

glassed the corner where the side meet the transom today so its rounded off to glassing. Also cut the bulkhead to shape.

Saturday this weekend saw the inside of the transom finished. It now has an extra 4 layers of 600gsm matt around the edges where the transom meets the hull and sides, and 3 layers of 600gsm over the rest.

Today i kept shaping the stringers and rear bulk heas ready to be glassed in.

If i hadnt found a transom delamination problem on the outside i would be happy with my weekends progress.

waiting for another layer of glass to dry, so i thought id share my progress so far.

The stringers and bulkhead were resin coated and glassed with 300gsm chopped strand before being put in the boat.

The keel stringer and rear bulk head are now glassed into the boat.

Great thread, jeffo your stringer arrangement looks a little like your work is the second time it's been done? be careful of all dust, not something to take casually.

I had a project happening a while ago, didn't finish it though (wishing a little now I did) here is the link:

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/p...t,p,28,00.html

cheers fnq

PS To save your pics for the future that site is a good one.

got the first round of glassing done. Now back to sanding and grinding out some more stringers.
    Last edited by jeffo; 28-09-2008 at 07:41 PM.

Jeff,
    how's it all coming along? I'm looking at a similar projet on an 18ft savage hull. Keep the progress coming, you're making it look easy.

Josh

Jeffo

Two questions;

WHY?

And - where will the tower go?

I envy your time and dedication - I'll be up for a ride when she's finished.

Brett

been a while since an update. Things are comming along ok now. I havent had a day off the project since i bought it.

Both of the outside stringers are now replaced, the console is built out of ply and is nearly ready for glassing.

The dash has been cut out and the rest of the keel stringer is gone. By the end of the comming weekend im hoping to have the console glassed and the keel stringer in. Then just 2 easy stringers and a bulkhead to go before i can start working on the floor.

Buggy- if you work out the answer to the "WHY?" then let me know- im scratching my head wondering as well!

Phill

What are you doing regards fuel? Under floor or some other option, i think stinger long boats have there tank in the bottom half of the consol hence the question!

Ian
    Alcohol doesn't agree with me, but i sure do enjoy the argument!!!

Jeffo,

have you concidered cable routing from the engine to the console.. worth concidering now I recon
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Ian- im going portable fuel tanks under the engine well. One will also fit in the bottom of the console.

Garry- thanks mate, yeah i have, i am going to drill out a hole in the rear bulkhead and put some PVC pipe through comming up in the bottom of the console for cables ect. I left the bulkhead intact to mke glassing easier. What diameter pipe do you suggest for throttle cables,power feed and hydrolic steering cables? i was thinking 60mm? The transducer cable will be run separately.