Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: haines 445r-f conversion is under way. Updates regularly

Re: haines 445r-f conversion is under way. Updates regularly

Jeffo

I cut the bearers free of the stringer with with an angle grinder, then similarly the stringers themselves.
    I then used a Makita boat building sander with a coarse belt and ground out the stringer between the bearer. Was all pretty messy as I had to progressively widen the area to get access but in the end I had a clean base upon which to lay down and fit the new stringer.
    All one at a time - made life difficult - which is probably why I did not take photos.
    There were many instances when I thought I would be taking the remnants of the hull to the tip!

On reflection - I think the idea of chocking the hull as described by others with experience is more appropriate than my attempt to clamp the hull to prevent distortion and I shall do this as described and remove all stringers at once.
    Only have pics at the beginning when I was enthusiatic and at the end when I was relieved!

As I hinted at in last post I think the integity of the hull and its strength played a greater role in preventing distortion than anything I did.
    But others advised me that if I did not box the hull up and ensure that as much of the tensile capacity of the remaining bound stringers was retained I would be in trouble.

With that rebuild behind me - I think I would opt for the chocking suggestion.

Uniquely, just today, I came to the same conclusion as yourself in retaining the current floor height in my 445f so as to preserve as much of the internal freeboard as possible.
    Whilst looking and contemplating I decided that I would glass some fitted glassed blocks of either rot resistant laminated beam or hardwood onto the hull and then fit my floor over these after I had shaped them to accomodate the floor.
    The suggestion of making glass stringers sounds enticing so I may experiment and see if I can make something up - stringers and or blocks.
    A friend has a sheet metal bending press.

Before I begin cutting out this floor I want to have a well thought out plan of where I want to have all of my underfloor storage and how big my centre console should be and where to position it.
    Have you yet worked out where you are going to place your fuel tank / kill box / batteries etc?
    My 445 has a glassed in bow section which I think will accomodate an anchor well which if I make with substantial strength and support and large enough to take an electric winch will still leave loads of storage space beneath it.
    Retaining the glassed in bow will be a distinct advantage when coming home in our Victorian afternoon bay chop!

Am just about to rush out and check for a port side crack in the hull!

Hope this helps - keep us up to date.
    Regards
    ChrisR

thanks for your input chris and wayne.

Wayne- i followed a bit of your chocking system but not 100% ( i will re read it this arvo when i am not so tired and rushed!). I think the craddle system i have in my head shouldnt be to hard to knock up with a circular saw and a paslode nail gun. Just enough bracing going length ways along the hull to make it very hard for the hull shape to drop as most of it will be sitting on timber.

Chris- Maybe you could take some snaps of your boat and put them in this same thread?

Even though i like the sound of the glass stringers i think i am going to opt for 12mm ply as i think the end result will be a bit cheaper and it will still outlast me. At this stage the floor is going to be solid through out with no storage under nieth.

The fuel taks will be all easily removeable to avoid any dramas if ever water get in them. I will just use an esky as a kill tank (dont kill alot of fish any way). I am still pretty tempted to put a bit of a casting platform up the front in order to strengthen the bow section and also have a little bit of safety gear storage space, but i will look at all this with a clear head once the stringers and bulkheads are all done and im ready to do the floor. Tha batteries will sit either side of the fuel tank compartment under the transom section. I am also going to look for a seat set up for behind the console that has tackle storage in it for things like sinkers, first aid ect that should never leave the boat. Everything else will be easily removable.

Im hoping to get another good look over a 445f once the stringers are done so i can take a heap of measurements and try and get mine as close to them as possible- 1. for re sale and 2. i just love the look of these old boats and i am not attempting to re make it to look like a new design of boat, just a restored one.

did ya see the one they did in modern boating jeffo?

without hijacking this, does anyone know how much bare glass would deteriorate out in the open? I know where there is a very good hull that has had the floor cut out by a prospective "project doer" but it has never gone past that state, no floor/stringers and left in the open Weather on the trailer for about 5 years, I know he wants to get rid of it, but no use if you are just buying a pile of sh!t on a trailer.

V16R CC Conversion - link
    http://www.modernboating.com.au/boat.../HAINES-HUNTER

My 445 as purchased:

Do not know if these attached - will submit and if photo not there will try again.
    ChrisR

gday jeff,
    a couple of pics of my 445 sub floor structure, and a bit of a random summary for whoever may be interested.
    i took mine on and off the trailer every time i worked on it so the keel sat on concrete, and the 2 stern corners were just chocked with a brick with a bit of timber on top. nothing too flash but it did not deflect. i did it 2 stringers at a time (1 from the portside and 1 from the stb side) so there was still a bit of strengths to stand in there.
    there is no centre stringer - despite what i said in my pm. confused. i am not checking ausfish at moment as very busy but i'll try to check in.
    steve

thanks for that Steve, Wonder why the stringer lay out was different in your hull to mine. Has any one else found the same thing?

Later model I think, note the three sections in the windscreen. I would guess late 80's model? Haines probably changed the stringers to suit underfloor tanks.
    A picture say a thousand words (Steve's boat sitting chocked on the floor)
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by pilchardjones View Post
    gday jeff,
    a couple of pics of my 445 sub floor structure, and a bit of a random summary for whoever may be interested.
    i took mine on and off the trailer every time i worked on it so the keel sat on concrete, and the 2 stern corners were just chocked with a brick with a bit of timber on top. nothing too flash but it did not deflect. i did it 2 stringers at a time (1 from the portside and 1 from the stb side) so there was still a bit of strengths to stand in there.
    there is no centre stringer - despite what i said in my pm. confused. i am not checking ausfish at moment as very busy but i'll try to check in.
    steve
    Hey Steve,

Nice work on the haines mate a beutiful job indeed!!!!
    Im intending starting a similar project to what you have completed shortly.
    Just a quick question. How does she go with a 60 on the back? What sort of top speed do you realisticy get?
    I assume the boat is a nice stable fishing platform for lure casting?
    ok thats more than one question and really i have 100's but that will do for the moment.

Joe

P.S sorry to take the thread slightly off topic i did try and PM steve but he must be a very popular bloke at present as his PM's are full.

A few more tips. When I did the Brooker 148 I left the boat on the trailer. I had the trailer on car stands so it did't move and chocked the chines from the tailer. The reason I left it on the trailer was that I wanted to have the motor sitting on the hull some of the time to sort out the transom area and other timber work including the under floor fuel and kill tanks, console and casting deck. When I put the stringers in I used a heavy layer of glassed reinforced bog between the stringer and the hull to take up any gaps. They were glassed in after that.

Consider going for a flat floor, you will not regret it. You will not miss 30mm of freeboard when you have a nice flat floor to walk around on and the finish is great.

Also have a good think about an under floor fuel tank and fish storage. I managed to get a 60 litre aluminium tank and about 40 litre of fish storage under my feet. Both tanks had removable hatches and it is also where the steering and electrical cables ran from the console.

Another good tip is if you are considering how something will look in the boat, build it out of cardboard. You can shape it how you want , add a bit, change it. When you are settled on your decision, build it out of timber or glass. I had my brother inlaw conviced for weeks I was going to glass over the carboard cutout of the centre console that was sitting in my boat.

The casting deck up front allows for a lot of storage and strength to the bow. You can build it and glass it as one piece out of the boat, once it's finished, glass it in position. I bolted the centre console in position with six large stainless coach screws, it never moved.

Last thing that may cause some discussion, none of my plywood was marine grade. It was all glassed over and care was taken to seal holes etc well when drilling and bolting. Most flooring and timber work in early boats was normal ply. An old V Sea I had once had an original masonite floor under the glass, the deck support material was and old type of MDF that was soaked when I removed it. I have nothing against marine grade except for the price and it will be glassed over anyway. Normal ply is fine just take precautions to keep the water out.

thanks

Shayne

Quote Originally Posted by Archer View Post
    Hey Steve,

Nice work on the haines mate a beutiful job indeed!!!!
    Im intending starting a similar project to what you have completed shortly.
    Just a quick question. How does she go with a 60 on the back? What sort of top speed do you realisticy get?
    I assume the boat is a nice stable fishing platform for lure casting?
    ok thats more than one question and really i have 100's but that will do for the moment.

Joe

P.S sorry to take the thread slightly off topic i did try and PM steve but he must be a very popular bloke at present as his PM's are full.
    thanks joe - the 60 is a great match. it gets about low 30 MPH's flat. i had a 90 yam 2 stroke on it 1st and this is a much better match. it is very roomy and stable. perfect for lurecasting and a 55lb minnkota is adequate (just).
    steve
    i will sort out my pm's.

Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Jeffo
    A few posts back you wished to gain sights of 445f's.
    Here is one on trading post

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Marine...kToResult=true

I have contacted HH in Melbourne and they do not have any literature or images in their archives- but were most helpful.
    Evidently a few different models and variations on themes as they experimented with designs back in the 1980's - before takeovers etc.

Having some difficulty uploading pics of my 445f - it is an older model than this one on TP
    Shall persevere.

Regards
    ChrisR