Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4lb fireline ?

4lb fireline ?

Hey guys/ gals, just wondering if anyone can tell me what 4lb fireline actually breaks at ?
    Cheers !!

Re: 4lb fireline ?

All over the place ..... but much higher than 4lb
    closer to 6 ..... I reckon

nagg

I'd like to know as well hooky as the only time ive busted it is when I cant untangle a windknot! Haven't broken it on a snag or a fish as yet.

I like the stuff.

I've got an article written by Adam Royter that states his unofficial line breaking tests of 1lb fireline broke at 5.4lb and that 20lb fireline broke at 55lb.

If thats any gauge to go by, you could probably say about 10 lb?

I don't know.

Jeff.

just dont get the crystal. i had it on for 2 trips then stripped it off. it sux.

As Jeff said, around 10lb.

Quote Originally Posted by plaztix View Post
    As Jeff said, around 10lb.

I must have shite knots

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by abbot_86 View Post
    just dont get the crystal. i had it on for 2 trips then stripped it off. it sux.
    It's funny how different people's opinions differ so much!
    I love the crystal, and will pick it over anything else any time!

I find it's softer (4lb, 2lb) and seems to work a treat for me on the Bream.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I must have shite knots

Chris
    Its probably that 2lb leader your running

ive always wondered this myself with fire line and other braids how can they call it 4lbs line when its breaking at around 10lbs it seems a little weird to me.Whats the variation with monoline im sure its not that much, and what happens when world record fish are taken on fire lines and such. its not quite fair if your fishing with mono you seem to be at a disadvantage

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

Between 3 and 4 kilo's depending on knots,a chain of grany knots got us 3 consistantly where as a hangmans got us to a frag over 4 on one occasion and a couple of needle widths under consistantly.All our tests were done on straight pulls of line not over or through a rod.

I read an article by Starlo back when they were introducing their Squidgy braid to the market.....he made mention of how his squidgy 4lb string broke at over 10lb on a direct pull test.....and that his old 4lb fireline also broke at near enough to 10lb also.

I've just re-spooled a reel with 4lb Crystal and while i have yet to use it.....I had all sorts of difficulty gettting my leader knots to hold....tying to 6lb Triumph super shock(egging) fluorocarbon leader using the slim beauty knot, it kept snapping the leader off at the base of the knot when i'd give it a quick tug to test. I didn't feel i was doing anything different to ususal. I've used this knot and tying technique with my old 4lb squidgy braid for a while and it was very strong, usually a snagged jighead would break the loop knot before the leader knot would fail. I tried going back to a double uni knot....but still broke it 3 times trying to snug up the knot. Not sure if it s the leader (its new) or the line that is causing the drama, never had this issue using Kokoda 6lb leader to the 4lb squidgy.....but the line was older and more supple then too!
    Ended up retying the slim beauty knot and this time when i tested the knot, i ran out a lot more leader first and held the line as far from the knot as i could reach, then put pressure on the knot until I felt the limit of the leader's stretch taking up.
    Perhaps ham fists was pulling too hard before
    Cheers Roo.

EDIT:: I wonder if any of the Technophiles out there can tell me if there is a difference between Egging (squidding) fluorocarbon and regular fluorocarbon.

EDIT2: its the triumph egging leader not the standard line system leader.....my mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Between 3 and 4 kilo's depending on knots,a chain of grany knots got us 3 consistantly where as a hangmans got us to a frag over 4 on one occasion and a couple of needle widths under consistantly.All our tests were done on straight pulls of line not over or through a rod.
    Line class world records are only accepted and ratified when a sample of the line used is provided (a specific minimum length of it is required) and it is tested to ensure it breaks under the line class level.

Cheers

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by plaztix View Post
    Its probably that 2lb leader your running

Could be Nah even running 10lb leader ......... Then again I haven't pulled it over some scales

Quote Originally Posted by bennykenny View Post
    ive always wondered this myself with fire line and other braids how can they call it 4lbs line when its breaking at around 10lbs it seems a little weird to me.Whats the variation with monoline im sure its not that much, and what happens when world record fish are taken on fire lines and such. its not quite fair if your fishing with mono you seem to be at a disadvantage
    No disadvantage mate, it is just that people who claim that they caught an X kg fish on Y lb braid/fireline are almost always fooling themselves if they believe it, because it is known to break at 2 or more times it stated strength.

Folks (myself included) who fish for records almost always use pretest mono which is guaranteed to break at a given rating. Also, you need to be in a ANSA or IGFA affiliated club to be eligible to claim ANSA or IGFA State, National or world records.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

ROO: i find that light fireline (4lb etc) keeps breaking off at the leader knot untill its been used a few times in the water. i had 6 lb and couldnt for the life of me get the leader to stay on untill it had been wet a few times! JAYVEE