Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Egrell Rods

Re: Egrell Rods

Quote Originally Posted by PNG1M View Post
    I've got the B8-5 baitcaster 5' 8" matched up with a Shimano TE Conquest 300 spooled with 20kg YGK Jigman X8 ultra.

I landed a few solid black bass with it recently on my trip to Lake Murray PNG.
    The fish were generally scarce so we did an awful lot of casting. My Egrell, set up with the Conquest was a pleasure to cast. When loaded up with a bass on the other end the rod gave a feeling of control and confidence. I thought it was great.
    thanks for that info PNG. Its great to hear feedback about the rod being worked on true fighting fish cant get much tougher than PNG bass IMHO..glad to see it stood up..I am aiming to do a trip in the next few years up there. its the ultimate.

cheers steve

Yes mate,

With fishing you've got to take the good with the bad.

In regards to fishing PNG I've been lucky enough to have been on half a dozen good trips - all worthwhile. Once you get to experience a trip there you can't help thinking about when the next one will be.

My recent Lake Murray trip I organised ex-Bris but the previous five I arranged locally with the fishing club I was in when I was based in PNG (2004-07).

I'll be back there for sure at some point in the future.

One time, when fishing at Suki and we were hanging out to catch a barra for the evening barby. But the black bass were hot! We were hooking up nearly every second or third cast and looking at each other saying, "Ooh geeze, not another bass..!" It was great fun and eventually someone did catch dinner for us.

The only parts of PNG I have fished have been in the Western Province (Fly River / Lake Murray). But as you can see from some of the fishing shows on tele you can also get bass (mostly spot tail) on some of the larger islands, like New Britain in the east.

But places like Suki & Lake Murray are unique as you can catch Barra/Black Bass/Saratoga/Tarpon & Catfish all in the same location.

"...A voice in my head told me I had to go fishing..!"
    Last edited by PNG1M; 13-09-2008 at 05:12 PM. Reason: typo...

Without a doubt, the best rods I've ever used.
    Mike

B2-6 Daiwa Ito Monobloc
    B2-6 Daiwa Zillion 7:1
    B4-6 Daiwa TD-Z Big Bait Special
    B4-6 Daiwa TD-Z Big Bait Special (A pair of these)
    B8-5 Daiwa 200 Blue Backer
    B8-7 Daiwa 250 Black Sheep
    S1 Daiwa TD-S 1500
    S4 Daiwa Branzino

On my recent trip to PNG I also took a B8-6 and a custom S8 fitted with a 300 Blue Backer and 4000 Certate Hyper respectively. Awesome rods for the $. Nothing better in the price range. Favorites are the B4-6 for Barra and the B2-6 for Bass. S4 for trolling in Awoonga. I know I need an S2 and an S10!

S10 Diawa Sol 4000 loaded with 30lb braid for offshore plastics. Brilliant rod imho.

wags what the set up worth and were did you get it mate

Quote Originally Posted by rubba View Post
    wags what the set up worth and were did you get it mate
    Duncan at Fishead is doing deals on Egrells for his stores Birthday, might be worth a look

thanks mate will have a look

I got my B8-5 (high modulus) from Duncan at Fish Head tackle and it was $465 buckeroonees... Maybe they saw me comin' as I didn't shop around much (in fact I ordered online from o/s & my mate at Vic Point picked the rod up for me). I think the prices were similar at other outlets.

The B8-6 (intermediate modulus) was around $355 from what I remember but correct me if I'm wrong.

I chose the B8-5 as I thought it was more versatile with a greater range of applications; whereas the B8-6, having more of a shock absorber effect was more suited to PNG Bass. Since barra are also high on my agenda I went with the B8-5.

I wonder how those prices compare with the birthday sale prices.

"...A voice in my head told me I had to go fishing..!"
    Last edited by PNG1M; 18-09-2008 at 01:34 AM. Reason: typo...

B6-6 with a Zillion spooled with 30lb PE for me and
    S10 with a Daiwa Sol 3000 spooled with 45lb PE for the wife.

Both used for barra and highly recommended.

My collection is growing. It is an addiction.

S1-7 Egrell + TD Sol 2000
    S4 Egrell Bear + TD Sol 2500
    S10 Egrell Bear + TD Sol 4000
    S10 Egrell + Daiwa Capricorn 4500J
    B2-6 Egrell Bear + Daiwa HRF
    B6-5 Egrell + Daiwa Millionaire SW