Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: An Absolute Waste

Re: An Absolute Waste

Quote Originally Posted by bushbeachboy View Post
    What if it's a religious thing - The Church of the Worshippers of the Well-hung Jew - er fish that is........ok, never mind
    Now that is politically incorrect
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Shagga View Post
    Can someone explain to me why people hang the fish frames from road signs? I have seen it when I travel up north but I don't see the point of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Over to the traditionalists

no takers????????????????

Some people just dont get it hay.
    I bet someone they knew would have taken it off their hands.
    Reidy

Having posted up all that rot, I too think it is a terrible waste. I wouldn't do it myself. Assuming the fish was full of worms, I'd cut it into small sections and put it in the gutters of the houses of people I didn't like..........

And I'm moving back to Townsville mid September so it's game on northerners......

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Up here in the north country it's pretty easy to pick those with a propensity to participate in "the hanging of the fish" ritual....

Why,I just met some the other day....

To characterize such chaps...,well....,they were distinguishable by the odd way they added "eh" to end of each sentence....a can of bundy and coke was in their possession at all times.....,one of them kept referring to wife as "cuz" for some reason....banjo was their music of choice and I even heard them chuckle and mumble something that sounded like..."squeal like a pig,boy...."

Well,suffice to say I didn't hang around to witness the "hanging of the fish and I didn't want to squeal like pig either,so I quickly walked away..(backwards)...
    Golly! I hate it when the inlaws visit!!!

cheers fnq

yes it is a north Queensland thing and is done for some of the following reasons especially in cane growing country

not many of us have 9 to 5 hours like you city slickers

with cane crushing its not uncommon to work 14 days straight and then two off
    a fish means shit how did he score his day off when the weather was good

lucky bastard

cripes he actually still caught something out side the green zone use southern bureaucrats dumped on us

see we still can catch a fish in a miracle when thee sea is not rough and the reef closures were dumped onto us again from you r southern bureaucrats

its the bush telegraph for lots of busy cane cutters as they see when hauling out yeps the mackerel are on the chew, or its the first barras starting to move after winter

the second most important thing after seeing fresh frames is to look at the chimney stacks of the sugar mills and see how straight the smoke is yeah you dumbbells thought it was for the smoke to come out. after all it is the best weather report you get up here after all use southern reporters give a one second length weather report up here on the news not that its important for us cyclones etc . lucky for us cyclone don't come on weekends

council actually leave certain sign posts with fish alone as they become icon spots for every body . it is a community thing that only certain sign spots are used

those working out at the mines in fly in fly out can quickly gauge what's around for his few days off

its is also practice for us on how to hang greenies and EPA from a tree WHICH YOU WILL NEED TO LEARN after the southern green zones come in

see maybe were not so stupid after all.

please take the above with a grain of salt

Can't believe this thread is still going. Over one fish.

If there was a thread about bycatch on trawlers it would'nt even get half as much attention as this has.

Time to let it go IMO.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

Ozbee... I havent heard such a load of crap for a long time...

BTW, what do cane farmers do for the other 6 months of the year except slash headlands...???

Come to think of it what do they actually do during the crush ...
    Work 14 days straight...you have to be joking.....they pay contractors to harvest the bloody stuff and it grows back each year for at least 4-6 years more before they have to replant....

Not to mention the low interest loans and continuing subsidies for all that.

Most of us wish we could extract a living from what realistically is a sideline.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    Golly! I hate it when the inlaws visit!!!

cheers fnq
    Yeah Scott...get back to me once you show your missus this thread and your response...ouch...

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Ozbee... I havent heard such a load of crap for a long time...

BTW, what do cane farmers do for the other 6 months of the year except slash headlands...???

Come to think of it what do they actually do during the crush ...
    Work 14 days straight...you have to be joking.....they pay contractors to harvest the bloody stuff and it grows back each year for at least 4-6 years more before they have to replant....

Not to mention the low interest loans and continuing subsidies for all that.

Most of us wish we could extract a living from what realistically is a sideline.

Scott

dont go there Scott, farmers getting hand outs, thats unheard of

Daz

Ozebee,

I agree about the chimmney stacks being a great wind report. we do it here all the time. I am sure you local news up north gives good weather reports. I know on the bundaberg news every second report is about cane farming, smut and subsidies etc. They also talk about chemical runoff from cane farms that kill more areas of reef than a greenzone covers.

How about the miners and cane farmers read a fishing report or phone a friend to find out where fish are biting....theres no need to hang fish anymore. those days should be a thing of the past.

This fish was WHOLE, now thats a WASTE. I can live with seeing a filleted frame hanging.

Mate, I have all the respect in the world for farmers of ALL kinds, my family is in the beef industry. I know how hard you ALL work. dont get me wrong, but using hard time experienced as an excuse to waste a good fish...is a poor excuse.

There are many hard working small business people struggling too, that would also do the same hours you do, and they might even be cityslickers Only difference is they arent as lucky as you to live near some of the best fishing in Australia.

Steve

PS I work and then on call 24 hours STRAIGHT for 7 days STRAIGHT....worse still....I cant have a beer or be more than 10 min from town in that time!!! then I have 3 days off!! So I feel as if I able to comment on working long hours.

hang on guys this was meant about filleted ones also really its about a pull at your leg but truly why don't you clean up your own back yard after all your screaming how bad to the environment we are up here yet our fish stocks are pretty strong and constant so maybe our ways aren't so bad eh. least us northerners don't have to hold a fish with 4 foot arms outstretched to make a decent photo. must be all those plastics you've been eating.

I agree it's a waste and it just looks stupid to me, yet..... then too spare a thought for the 60% of commercial fish caught which ends up straight at the landfill....even if it makes it too your local Woolies, a sh*t load gets thrown out each day. sometimes when I do my shopping it makes me feel sick in the stomach thinking about this...half the world is starving and then.....

just my 2 cents.

I only read the first page not realizing there was another 5 pages..... my apologies if my previous post has been discussed already...

BG

why runners are tied together & thrown over power lines
    off topic but this thread went down hill heheheh

dont hold me to this but, it was first started in the "ghetto's" where the area was claimed by a drug dearler so shoes were trown up as a warning ,to stay clear of thier block