Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring Barra Fishing Checklist

Spring Barra Fishing Checklist

Spring is just around the corner and it is obvious with the immense interest in barramundi fishing that the next 9 months will be a cracker for many anglers. After lots of years of shared stories, and folders of information criss-crossed within the public, there should be some serious fishing undertaken by those who venture afield. Firstly, anglers really need to clear up the differences between their expectations and their capabilities before they all hit the water in want of 70 pound fish. Some will land monsters, and sadly some will still land zero. It is all good and positive to have dreams and future visions, but serious planning does need to be undertaken in order for fishermen and women to strive closer to their goals. From the simplest of tasks, to mental approaches, we all need to tinker at basic concepts to keep things running smoothly and finely tuned. This may sound simple and boring, but our rods, reels, lines, leaders, knots, lures, hooks, batteries, electric motors, outboards, anchors, ropes, shackles, mind set, weather conditions and so on all need close attention before any trip.
    Lures- We will all have our own ideas on what to pack, but make sure the selection is as wide as possible to give you the best advantage. Deep diving timber lures to surface poppers and fizzers, as well as a selection of soft plastic types from paddletails to lift and flick type presentations. The list is endless; the number of ways to catch good barramundi has no end point. Don't be afraid to trial new 'stuff'.
    What to expect, or what to plan for?
    This question is always the million dollar question. What will the lake be like?
    Will there be distinct weed edges?
    Will the weed fringes or palnt life be in their glory, or dying off?
    Will the water be at the level I am hoping for, or will it be far different to what I expected?
    What has the winter months done to the lake I want to fish?
    Will it still be early in the climatic change after winter, or will things be well and truly warming up?
    Will the water be quite clear or will it be filthy?
    Will algae levels be down, or mysteriously high?
    How much wind will there be, and what direction will the sub surface currents flow this time?
    Some of these are the unknowns that we never really can prepare for when we plan to hit a dam hundreds of kilometres away. Half of the lures you may have packed may just not suit the dynamics or nature's design of the lake this season. I know my choices from 7 years ago no longer get a swim, since Awoonga was so different that long ago.
    It changes every year, from minor to major.
    Whatever you do, you certainly need to be willing to about face and start from scratch if you find yourself in unfamiliar territory when it comes to fishing situations. If you are not having any luck, possibly you need to change a few things. This may be lure type, cast length or cast angle, retrieve type, fishing location, or fishing times etc. Just because last year or last week you caught barra down the back of spot X, on lure X, it doesn't mean this year or visit will produce the same. It might, but it just may not. Be aware of that.
    Expanding your Considerations
    If there is something that I would like all anglers to do more of this season/year is to expand on the major portion of the equation that so often recieves very little consideration.
    NATURE
    We often get too caught up in the special 'fishy' moment to remember all the finer details that were associated with a capture. I don't just mean average weather conditions, what I mean is, the nitty gritty; what happened during the lead up, the moment of the capture, and after the capture.
    Where was the fish hooked? Pinned deep inside or lip hooked? It all means something- take note.
    There are no prizes for noting that most Ausfishers want to know more about barramundi angling, the truth is that a lot of the basics have been shared, some which are utilised, some others which are ignored. The rest is up to individuals to expand their own world on the water by paying attention again, to that 'N' word.
    NATURE, once we all start focusing on this we will all advance in some way or another that we eventually set ourselves up for the next chapter in learning.
    We all need a game plan this season, and I believe that anyone who takes notes, writes a diary, opens themselves up and blends in with nature and absorbs the surrounding material on offer rather than focusing on the shiney lure hanging off the end of their rod will be taking the valuable steps to becoming a better, smarter angler.
    If we choose to ignore the NATURE part, then it will be a long hard battle ahead for anyone not using that opportunity; it being, the best information on offer to help unlock the equation. It will take time, yes, but if you share with your friends you can magnify your learning. Without that experience, anglers can only advance to a certain level, and in their lifetime they will fall well short of the requirements needed to better understand an animal and an environment. Most of us will be dead before we expand fully, so there comes the need to help each other. I think it is now time for many anglers to look over their shoulders and pick up the clues and hints that are given away everyday by Mother Nature. By now, many of us have a box of lures and lure fishing ideas to apply, so it is a matter of trial and error and notetaking on fine detail to take you to the next level. Lures on their own are just one page, and that page is partly filled already, so it is time to move on and grow.
    The impoundment barra and camping booklet out soon covers some of this in basic form. This is not a plug to sell more booklets, in fact, the booklet is more of a need for anglers rather than the small dollar spinner it will be. I'd rather of fished and explored more than sat in doors and wasted my time, except for the fact that it is clear that anglers need fresh material to think about. Profits divded by two writers highlights that is not a major money lurk. It is a case of having to push this material out for the hungry anglers that want to learn, but suffer from the limiting material that really is available on a subject that requires serious hours in nature to get the upper hand. A lot of my work at times is regarded as mysterious, maybe it is to the simple way that many anglers are bred to think. It is time have anglers thinking more and becoming better in tune with the natural world, because hidden amongst that very subject lies that answers that many are looking for. Until that can is opened, the same level of thinking and fishing will continue for many, yet unfortunately changing lakes and changing fish will leave those types way behind.
    Take the African Hunting Dog or any big gun predator for example; they know their prey, they know their environment, they know the conditions at hand and they know how to work within those guidlelines to come up with a kill. A different tactic each time is often observed. Humans are no different, we need to adjust, tune in, learn, expand and conquer. Our tools in our hand are just the simplest of aids, not the bare essentials that we need! In the old age, stone age or whatever age, sharp sticks did the killing part, but the hunter added the other 95% by looking and learning; to get the job done.
    Happy angling in the barra lakes this season.
    Lots to think about.
    Johnny Mitchell

Re: Spring Barra Fishing Checklist

I will take all of this (and more) on board for my first winter/spring barra trip next week......

Thanks for the timely reminder Johnny

Regs

Pete

eyes wide open, thanks JM.

Pete, have you developed a stutter????
    cheers
    brian

priceless!

Thanks JM.

Very well said Johnny....

Cheers Nath

Good stuff Johnny.

Just love your work.

Cheers,
    John.

As always ...... well written JM

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    eyes wide open, thanks JM.

Pete, have you developed a stutter????
    cheers
    brian
    A-A-absolutely - it's the excitement of my f-f-first trip for the s-season b-b-beginning to b-b-build.....

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    A-A-absolutely - it's the excitement of my f-f-first trip for the s-season b-b-beginning to b-b-build.....

hope ya have a cracker mate, I may be able to provide a bit of up to date info for you with a bit of luck

That would be appreciated Brian.

Spent most of Sunday tuning lures......

Now have leaders to construct, more lures to tune, final gear & boat checks, provision shopping, fuel up then ready to go.....

go get em peter,
    When you let em go can you tell em there are some nice ppl coming on sept 15 so dont be shy. oh n tell em kim n roo are coming too.
    Hope you smash em.just remember if you have to wonder if ur retrieving too fast in august, you probably are.
    chewy..

Great words Johnny.....I have 2 say I was sober when I started reading....U are a man of wisdom

To add, from my perspective, which is more to do rivers than lakes but the fundamentals apply.
    Not sure if the word 'nature' is quite the word I'd use, environment suits me better because I'd add the factor of human competition into that equation. As a specific example Friday night fishing gets me more fish/hr when compared with Sunday night fishing. No need to be an Einstein to work out why.

To get a handle on environmental variables there's no substitute for time spent on the water, trying to shortcut comprehensive data collection can often lead to the wrong answer (how often have we being guilty of that).

Additionally putting in the hours helps you find what the important questions are that need answering. For example (I hazard a guess here) a priority question that seems to need to have an answer in lakes is the effect of wind on fish moods and movements. From my perspective that consideration on a comparative narrow riverine environment is less of a priority than what a inch of rain can produce around feeder creeks.

I find that one of the major constraints we can have believing our own theories too much. For example "No I wont go fishing tonight the water temp is too cold or the moon is too dark etc". On those nights one fish may suffice against the odds. You wont get it if you're still sitting in your living room.

Lastly and harking back to priorities, I think you need to concentrate on finding the environmental factors that make the biggest difference. Trying to make sense of all the factors that affect fish from the 50 percenters down to the .5 percenters is extremely difficult and can add a deal of confusion to your thought process, for example rising or falling water levels as compared to cloudy day/sunny day.

Well said Dick. Very good advice. I particularly liked the line about 'major constraint is believing our own theories too much" . Your exactly right, this really applies to negative triggers (useing cold water as an example). We assume certain theories as the cause of bad days....mabey it was something else on that day....not the cool water. We then associate cool water as a bad time to fish forever!!

Your triggers good/bad may be different over that way compared to ours in impoundments, however, the mental approach of the angler to learn the keys dished out by the environment are unique to becoming a successful angler wherever you fish. Or whatever species you chase.

thanks for the valuble info. We hadn't heard from you in ages. I was wondering whats been happening in your part of the world.

cheers steve

Hi Dick ...... You have been quiet!
    Your comments are certainly valid
    As you alluded to - Regular time spent on a particular waterway will always pay dividends ......... Observation of the changing environment > > > be it regular ..... like a tide in your case , moon phases (insect activity) , seasonal , air / water temperatures + fluctuations , weather patterns , barometer etc etc etc ............. All this can be taken in when you spend regular time on the water ...... & fish "The day at hand !"

Cheers

Chris