Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barra Tackle for the new season

Barra Tackle for the new season

Hi Ausfishers

As a bit of a companion piece to Brians "Barra Musing" thread ....... I'm a little curious to know what adjustments we have made to our tackle for the new season ..... yes I know that we should have been fishing through those cooler months ....... but hey - we either couldn't get there or couldn't be bothered dragging our backsides out of bed to get there .
    Are we using or going to use new reels , rods , line , lures etc etc ....... If so ... why have you made the change?

Heres to happy times ahead

Nagg

Re: Barra Tackle for the new season

Nagg,
    A 'new look' Lake Awoonga down beneath the surface has changed my approach to fishing slightly, yet again. A few new lures, 2 new rod/reel combos and a changed mental attitude to the new lake will help keep me in touch with yet another 'chapter' in changing lake dynamics.
    Weed and moss buffers on the edges and weed bed barriers out in deep water have changed water flow and wave action, so for the ' now time', in some ways, we have a lake and some barramundi that will behave differently in these circumstances. Some good lures that have done quite well in the past may not do as good and some new fandangle tackle will fill a few gaps.
    Cheers,
    Johnny
    * This is as simple as I can describe it.

A couple of new things..extended the arsonal with a new Spin outfit (Some Eric Magic).......a couple of new Lures....hoping to give the girls something new to ponder over.......New Sounder and upgraded the comfort seating level....new LED Nav Lights for those late late evening sortee's and a pair of clear goggles for those pesky bugs.....If next winter is any indication of this year I shall be taking advantage next year......Now bring on September 12/13/14.......Then November.....Then ect ect......Cheers Whitto

New....Egrell Spin 4 Barra

New....TD Advantage 4000A Spin Reel

TufLineXP 50lb Green

A Couple of Frogs

A Couple of HardBodies

Quote Originally Posted by A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE View Post
    Nagg,
    A 'new look' Lake Awoonga down beneath the surface has changed my approach to fishing slightly, yet again. A few new lures, 2 new rod/reel combos and a changed mental attitude to the new lake will help keep me in touch with yet another 'chapter' in changing lake dynamics.
    Weed and moss buffers on the edges and weed bed barriers out in deep water have changed water flow and wave action, so for the ' now time', in some ways, we have a lake and some barramundi that will behave differently in these circumstances. Some good lures that have done quite well in the past may not do as good and some new fandangle tackle will fill a few gaps.
    Cheers,
    Johnny
    * This is as simple as I can describe it.
    Thanks Johnny ....... I'll run it through my Enigma machine with the reels set to "Gladstone"

Cheers

Chris

Lots of new/additional stuff.....

Like Whitto have got some Eric magic with a new Egrell S10, new Certate Hyper Custom 3000 spooled with 50lb Castaway braid to 80lb Black Magic leader....

Also added a Minn Kota RT55 for stealth.......needed new deep cycle battery, battery charger etc, etc

A few new barra lures including Nils Master Invincibles for $1.50 and $3 each!! (thanks K-Mart).....and yes, some frogs....

Jeez, no wonder I'm broke!

Regs

Pete

It looks like a spin outfit has been added to the kit for some ........ Now why would Mondy fishoes do that ? ...... Hmmm , could it be that some of the backs of bays are going to see some funny looking (soft) plastic thingies launched into them ( specially come Sept / Oct) ,,,, I wonder

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    It looks like a spin outfit has been added to the kit for some ........ Now why would Mondy fishoes do that ? ...... Hmmm , could it be that some of the backs of bays are going to see some funny looking (soft) plastic thingies launched into them ( specially come Sept / Oct) ,,,, I wonder
    You may be right Chris

On the other hand, I've always preferred spin outfits to baitcasters anyway!

Pete

I 've got my training wheels on when it comes to barra fishing so I've only just started collecting gear.
    Couple of spare spools for the Chronarch...got some 30lb tufline....have to get some 50lb now. Scored a little barra mauler for my birthday. It'll do for a start.
    Keeping my eye out for a good size spin stick with a solid reel.
    Slowly building a good stock of barra lures....about every tenth visit to the tacklestore I'll grab a barra lure.....but honestly my little boy has a bigger stash of barra lures than I have, thanks to one of his mates !!!. He's got an old cotton banking bag full of them and he won't let me touch them....although he did let me have one of his Squidgy caps.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    You may be right Chris

On the other hand, I've always preferred spin outfits to baitcasters anyway!

Pete
    I'm bad enough with a baitcaster .......... Give me a spin rod & you're likely to see me 10M up a tree retrieving a lure ( like the US marines ...... I wont leave a trooper behind )

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Little grey men View Post
    I 've got my training wheels on when it comes to barra fishing so I've only just started collecting gear.
    Couple of spare spools for the Chronarch...got some 30lb tufline....have to get some 50lb now. Scored a little barra mauler for my birthday. It'll do for a start.
    Keeping my eye out for a good size spin stick with a solid reel.
    Slowly building a good stock of barra lures....about every tenth visit to the tacklestore I'll grab a barra lure.....but honestly my little boy has a bigger stash of barra lures than I have, thanks to one of his mates !!!. He's got an old cotton banking bag full of them and he won't let me touch them....although he did let me have one of his Squidgy caps.
    Oh you poor bloke ...... you've only reached the sniffle stage of IBD - By the end of summer I'm sure it will be full blown IBD ..... which is all consuming!

Cheers

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Oh you poor bloke ...... you've only reached the sniffle stage of IBD - By the end of summer I'm sure it will be full blown IBD ..... which is all consuming!

Cheers

Chris
    Little worse than that mate....I've also bought a couple of cases of mangoes....still don't know what to do with them though.

Little worse than that mate....I've also bought a couple of cases of mangoes....still don't know what to do with them though.
    Stringy , Bowen or Kensington Pride .... ?

Remember ? Johnny said stringy......I went out at midnight in my old blue ute and bought them off a farmer who smelled strongly of fish, with treble scarred hands.
    He didn't say a word but stared into my eyes with a burning gaze....for some strange reason the words $12.00 a kilo popped into my head...I then got a nose bleed, peed my pants and feinted. I awoke with a strong desire to head up to Monduran and buy some dohnuts ???? what does it mean.......????

Damn this onset of IBD. YOU HAVE A LOT TO ANSWER FOR JAS !!!!

my little boy has a bigger stash of barra lures than I have, thanks to one of his mates !!!
    Now Michael.........this mate of Caleb's wouldn't happen to be a certain JW would it? I heard he has a few lures tucked away here and there

Whitto.......if you are at Lake M on Sept 12-14, we (Navi, Vin, Ben, me) will more than likely see you there.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

hello chris & mondy fishos,
    after all the money i spent on my first trips to mondy last season for 1 fish and some angry losses (but some very helpful knowledge) all ive done is cracked a couple o stiffies and got me a freddo or two..plus some 80lb leader..since then been gettin a kit together so i can afford fuel (xxxx) (that comes under tackle dont it )..and go juice to get there and for the boat..looking forward to the season to come, hope to get a visit early september..work permiting..cheers deano..