Thread: Snapper Colours

Snapper Colours

Thinking of making some flys for snapper but would appreciate some input on what colours to include. Some trade names would be good so I can go and purchase them off the shelf. I want to make them up myself on 4/0 hooks. Cheers

Re: Snapper Colours

Heard of people getting them on surf candy patterns, with a light green over white.
    Keep smiling, It makes people wonder what you're up to.

mate I had a crack at targeting them last winter with alright success , I tied a large clouser ( see pic) I got all the gear from Gavin at Tie N fly outfitters at kawana . Gav has been targeting them guiding as well and getting heaps of clients onto Snapper on fly , give him a call and he can explain it in great detail.

Federation of Fly Fishers
    International Certified Casting Instructor
    Sunshine Coast Fly Fishers
    www.saltwaterflyfishers.org

Wink Re: Snapper Colours

Hey Castlemain,

Try Anchovy Bomb for the deeper offshore waters, Good Pattern in Flylife, can't remember the issue # will try to get back. But had great success down Jervis Bay on them Gold/Chartruse. We also target the Reds in close and lakes using the good old CLouser but tied really skinny and they just love them. Chartruse over white/clear works well (but a flash of red around the gills is a must.

I use a sink tip line 4.5"/sec just to get down quick and a fast strip 6" up through the column.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Flyfanatic View Post
    Hey Castlemain,

Try Anchovy Bomb for the deeper offshore waters, Good Pattern in Flylife, can't remember the issue # will try to get back. But had great success down Jervis Bay on them Gold/Chartruse. We also target the Reds in close and lakes using the good old CLouser but tied really skinny and they just love them. Chartruse over white/clear works well (but a flash of red around the gills is a must.

I use a sink tip line 4.5"/sec just to get down quick and a fast strip 6" up through the column.
    Dave
    Mate
    Thanks for the info, I'll start with the clouser but wow i didn't think there was so much to it (I'm new to this fly thing). I'll let you guys know how I get along. Cheers