Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Blue Fin Gold Coast Flathead Classic 1-4 Oct

2008 Blue Fin Gold Coast Flathead Classic 1-4 Oct

One of Australia’s premier estuary, catch and release fishing tournaments is on again. The Gold Coast Flathead Classic is now in its 15th year and it promises to be bigger than ever.

Anglers come from as far away as Tasmania in the south and from Darwin in the north to attend this great comp.

The tournament is purely catch and release, with no fish weighed in, and the comp can be entered by teams or two or three anglers per boat. All Anglers must fish between the Bridge on the Nerang River, and where the powerlines cross at Russell Island in the north, and the anglers can only use artificial baits, lures and flies only to catch the fish. We also strongly encourage the use of fish scale friendly nets to net the fish when caught.

The Gold Coast Flathead classic is seen as a pioneer of the catch and release fishing events now held throughout Australia, and is rated a Recfish 5 star event.

Last Years prize pool came to a total of $75,000, with all of the prizes, including two BLUE FIN boats, complete with EVINRUDE or JOHNSON motors, given away, based on a random lucky draw; regardless of the number of fish on the scoresheet. Actual awards for fishing the classic are limited to trophies. All Flathead caught do score points, but fish that are over 40cm in length must be photographed against a tournament ruler.

Competitors receive a team bag containing fishing line, lures and soft plastics provide by sponsors of the event. Also included is a tournament hand book- containing maps for the event, tournament fishing shirt per angler, and meal vouchers for three evening meals and lunch on the final day.

The competition is held on the overlap of the QLD and NSW holidays, on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th of October. Please go to www.flatheadclassic.com.au for more details and entry forms.

Entrants that mention "AUSFISH" on their entry form get the reduced price of $150 per senior angler.

Re: 2008 Blue Fin Gold Coast Flathead Classic 1-4 Oct

Cheers Steve,

My entry is getting posted on Monday, thanx for saving us $20, love your work, Will be my 1st but I'm keen as, not expecting anything or going all out to be competitive, just in it to have a crack and enjoy what seems to be a great event by all reports, Team name will either be "Team Platinum" or "Team Nover", have managed to score some sponsorship through work, not sure who's boat we using yet but look for the Ausfish stickers!!!! Cheers, Jamie.

Great Comp Im Going Again, This Will Be My 3rd Year...my Team Is Cod Squad 2 And Were A Few Freshwater Fishos That Just Like To Get Away And Meet Some New People,,, So Say Hi.. Cheers Bdowdy..brett

I have been asked to fish as a 3rd person on a team for the Flathead Classic but I am away up north until the 2nd of October and can't make it to the sign in and briefing night and the 1st day of fishing. I get back late on the 1st day of fishing.

I have heard that I can't enter unless I fish from the 1st day.

Could somebody please let me know if this is true or not.

I really want to be in this tournament as I have never been in the Flathead Classic.

The Briefing night is on the Wednesday the 1st Oct. Depending on what time you make it to the coast on the 2nd, you might be able to fish for a bit on the first day of fishing. Your team can pick up all of your gear on the registration night, and you can fish the remainer of the comp.

In order to win the boat, you will need to be present on the last day when the final draw is done.

Cheers

Rob

team sandhurst are in agian this year, look for the big tinny with a bean bag

About 6 months ago I was invited by an old mate to fish in a team , then about a month ago I rang him telling him how much I was looking forward to going into the Flathead Classic and he then turns around and un-invites me due to his brother in law wanting to be on their team.

He then realised I was a bit peeved about him changing his mind,due to the stunned silence on the phone at my end and then I was re-invited a couple of days later and was told I was definately on the team now, well, a couple of days ago I was told that I'm not on the team again and the brother in law is back in.

Why do people do this!? Maybe it's me!?

I give up!

If I didn't have to be on a team I'd fish the comp on my Kayak.

Maybe next year now.

Where is close accommodation with place to store a boat and reasonably priced for out-of-towners wishing to join in?

Seems better than travelling from Brissy daily.

You might like to try to get a spot at any of the nearby caravan parks.

Southport Tourist Park‎ - more info »
    6 Frank St, Southport, QLD 4215 - (07) 5531 2281‎
    "Southport Caravan Tourist Park 6 Frank St Southport QLD 4215 Telephone: (07) 5531 2281 Facsimile: (07) 5532 8545

All lot of Flathead punters stay at this venue, but you may be lucky enough to get a spot. Normally you need to book well in advance. It is a short walk to the venue and is also on the water....

Cheers

Rob

Sundale Motel‎ - more info »
    20 Queen Street, Southport, QLD 4215 - (07) 5532 2111‎ 6 reviews -

Also close to the venue, but I'm unsure of boat storage. I'm sure you should not have too many hassles though

Rob

Treasure Island Holiday Park‎ - more info »
    117 Brisbane Rd, Biggera Waters, QLD 4216 - (07) 5537 1511‎

The comp used to be based at this spot, but moved a number of years ago. Just a bit of a short drive to the venue (<10mins)

The Rays Resort on the Broadwater‎ - more info »
    106 Marine Pde, Southport, QLD 4215 - (07) 5526 4999‎

Just across the road from the venue. I'm unsure of boat parking however...

River Gardens Caravan Park - more info »
    672-718 Nerang-Broadbeach Rd, Carrara, QLD 4211 - (07) 5594 4211‎

On the Nerang river. Has its own boat ramp I think.

Ashmore Palms Holiday Village‎ - more info »
    71 Hinde Street, Ashmore, QLD 4214 - 1300 303 912‎