Thread: Humpy Island?

Humpy Island?

Looking for a new fishing camping location and Humpy Island is on the short list. It is near Keppell Island, Yeppoon, Qld. Has anyone been there or what can they tell me about it.
    Thanks guys,
    Jewie

Re: Humpy Island?

Absolutely heaven mate! My favourite camping place - you won't be disappointed. The spaniard in my avatar was caught at Barron Is when we were camping at Humpy Is.

Regards
    Brad
    What would Steve do?

fortes fortuna adjuvat

Just noticed that photo was taken at our camping spot on Humpy Is with Great Keppel in the background.
    What would Steve do?

fortes fortuna adjuvat

What size baot would i need to access it mate.
    Jewie

When we lived up there, we had a 455 Quintrex. Keppel Bay is very shallow (average around 8m) so the conditions are usually a short chop rather than swell. The smallest boat I've been out to the Keppels in is 3.95m but it depends on the wind/chop etc. What boat are you taking?

If the bay is crappy, you could put your crew on the passenger ferry to GKI, then pick them up from there. The run from Humpy to GKI is pretty protected from the NE to SE winds that normally blow up there.

There is secure parking for the car and trailer available at Rosslyn Bay Boat Harbour.

When are you thinking of going and how long for?

Regards
    Brad
    What would Steve do?

fortes fortuna adjuvat

I will be in the smallst boat going over, 4.2m runabout with a 30 merc. Where on the mainland would i leave from and how long or far is the trip to humpy.
    Thanks for your help mate.
    Jewie.

Leave from Rosslyn Bay Boat Harbour and the trip to Humpy is 19km. We would time our arrival around high tide to make unloading the boat easier.

The camping area and anchorage area is on the NW side of Humpy Is. It has a thin layer of sand on top of a broken rubble bottom. A decent size sand or plough anchor with a good length of chain would be the go. It's well protected from the N through to SE.

I have dug out some photos. I'll scan them and post them up for you soon.

The good thing about the Keppel Bay Islands is you can drive your boat right up to many of the beaches and hop off. Plenty of nice islands to explore and decent fishing also.

Regards
    Brad
    What would Steve do?

fortes fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by JEWIENEWIE View Post
    Looking for a new fishing camping location and Humpy Island is on the short list. It is near Keppell Island, Yeppoon, Qld. Has anyone been there or what can they tell me about it.
    Thanks guys,
    Jewie
    For Steve has it pretty right,

Rosslyn Bay harbour at Yeppoon or Fishermans beach Emu Park is where you put in and it takes about 30mins cruising in your rig

it is a nice place to stay they have toilets and cold water showers

the cost is about $3.50 per head per night

anyone with a small boat, a family and a fair bit of gear usually sends most of the gear over on one of the Keppel cats while one of them takes the small tinny over empty and picks up the crew and gear from keppel

even if it takes a trip or 2 it is only 5mins each way (close enough to slip over for a famous island Pizza)

I sometimes drop families and gear over

it has trout, cod, spanish, parrot and sweeties around the island while you can get crays snorkeling from the beach or huge whiting, bream, flathead and trevally fishing from the beach and headlands

I think it is about 20-30acres so it is not hard to explore

There are stacks of other options very close if the weather turns foul

Pm me if you need some marks or extra transport getting over there

SL
    IFISHCQ2

Here's some pictures.

The first one is the main anchorage area on the western side (looking north with GKI in the background).

The second one is taken from the western beach at low tide (looking south-east with our camp in the background behind the sign).
    What would Steve do?

fortes fortuna adjuvat

The first one here is of our camp. There's a far bit of shade from the trees but it can be hard to find space for putting up large tarps. Might be better taking a couple of smaller tarps instead.

The second one is the view from the edge of our camping spot (looking north-west with GKI in the background).
    What would Steve do?

fortes fortuna adjuvat

Last lot:

The first of these ones is on the north beach (looking north-east with the headlands on the north-east corner of the island in the background).

The second one is the south-east headland (looking north-east from the boat). These rocky cliffs are typical of the eastern side of the island. It's quite steep so the wind is usually pushed over the top of the western side where we camp and anchor.

The third one is of whales just north-east of Humpy Is with GKI in the background.

Hope these photos give you a bit of an idea of what it's like. They don't really do it justice. Sitting back with a beer in my hand on Humpy Is is one of my best memories.

Regards
    Brad
    What would Steve do?

fortes fortuna adjuvat

Thanks mate, i have just locked it in! I have just got back from my annual trip away and always lock in next years dates the week i get back so next year it is Humpy Island for 3wk minimum, Mid august.
    Jewie

Awesome pics of the island For Steve. Wish I lived up that way - would definitely be spending some time over there.

Quote Originally Posted by ifishcq1 View Post
    For Steve has it pretty right,

Rosslyn Bay harbour at Yeppoon or Fishermans beach Emu Park is where you put in and it takes about 30mins cruising in your rig

it is a nice place to stay they have toilets and cold water showers

the cost is about $3.50 per head per night

anyone with a small boat, a family and a fair bit of gear usually sends most of the gear over on one of the Keppel cats while one of them takes the small tinny over empty and picks up the crew and gear from keppel

even if it takes a trip or 2 it is only 5mins each way (close enough to slip over for a famous island Pizza)

I sometimes drop families and gear over

it has trout, cod, spanish, parrot and sweeties around the island while you can get crays snorkeling from the beach or huge whiting, bream, flathead and trevally fishing from the beach and headlands

I think it is about 20-30acres so it is not hard to explore

There are stacks of other options very close if the weather turns foul

Pm me if you need some marks or extra transport getting over there

SL
    I am new to the forum and realise this is an older thread, but I am interested on camping and snorkeling on Humpy but don't have a boat (inflatable kayak dosen't count) so am looking for a transfer from the mainland. Are you still open to this and if so any particulars like availability and prices?
    Mrkwagg4