Thread: Somerset Dam

Somerset Dam

Wednesday is going to be my Somerset dam day from this point on fellas and ladies. (My semi retirement )

I work down from the narrows to the open water.

I understand that it has been very quiet since the big wet for others as well as myself.

If any one cares to direct me to where they believe it could be starting to fish well I will check it out and report back.

This way we all know when it is back on line.

Regards Gordon

Re: Somerset Dam

Gordon

How have you been mate. I found the edges with jackalls and spinnerbaits produced big fish in the cool months. The rock walls and points opposite bay 13 got some big fish a few years back. mainly just points anywhere was OK. It's a start. come spring, the may start to move to the wall end and school up. Again, that was a few years back, whats happening now is anyones guess. Give Carl a call at fish'n'bits in toowoomba, he's the guru of bass!

If you fishing every wednesday, you should crack a pattern sooner or later...lucky bugger!!!

cheers steve

Hey Gordon

Have a look around the submerged hump and give ice jigs a go. Fishing has been very tough at Somerset lately. I am hoping that everyone else is struggling as well as me, otherwise I have lost my mojo. 2 trips to Somerset with no fish at all. I am starting to get worried. Would be keen to hear how you fair over the next few weeks. I did get a few bumps with no hook ups on the Smak Mini Coop though.

Cheers

Brad

Hi Steve. That Barra you are holding is not the one we saw at Monduran is it ?

Regarding the bays on Somerset, which is the best map to refer to that most are familiar with when I lodge a report. Brad has mentioned the hump also.

I have heard of this and will try to get there.

I work with a sounder. GPS etc of course.

Thanks fellas.

Was out there on the weekend and there was some quality fish caught, but not many. Heaps of fish showing in different areas, but the bite window is very small, and the schools are moving around fast. Its just a matter of being in the right place at the right time at the moment.
    Brad, saw you out there on saturday. Whens the new boat coming? Damien told me what your getting. Should be a good rig.
    Cheers
    Bill

Hey Bill

You should have come over to say hello.

I did not catch a fish at all.

Should get the new boat early November. Just have to sell mine in the mean time.

Cheers

Brad

Howdy Brad / Bill,
    I just hope there on in a fortnights time, would make a change to whats starting to be the norm on the dams of late. Brad have you been out to Cressy? much being caught.
    Damien
    When the wife said i could get a lab i think she meant a dog.

LABSPORT XT 200H.O. etec

Hey Damien

I have not been to Cressy for a month or so so I cannot comment. When I was there last though there was some good fish caught. I will probably head there again after the Bassin. Ever surface fished in 40 foot of water? They were going off one day but not the following week.

Can't wait for Somerset to fire again. (I ever does)

Cheers

Brad

Well had a bit of fun at Somersault today. Nothing all morning then sounder got blacked out (well went red) with Bass. Got 4 quality fish in a short period of time. The Bass are fat and are gourging themselves on the abundance of small bonie bream. Going to be a great fishery once they demolish these huge bait schools. Dam rose during the week again and according to Kree at Kirkleigh, it would have filled if they didn't open the valves again during the week.
    There's a bit of floating debri around again so just keep your eyes open. Noting nasty but enough to cause damage to a shiny stainless prop or fibreglass hull at speed.
    Cheers
    Bill

Brad, somerset is slowly getting better or Bill's fishing habits are getting more consistant. Fish will be schooled close to the ramp just in time for the arrival of your new boat and you will have to run up the dam and back to the fish . Have been keen to take some friends over to creesy to show them around when i get the chance. Geeeeez Bill you tryin to scare me out of givin you a cold trip up the dam next sat mornin. Bring your velcro suit along and you can lay up front and keep a lookout for anything.
    When the wife said i could get a lab i think she meant a dog.

LABSPORT XT 200H.O. etec

Geez Damo, thats 2 digs in one post. Your on fire mate. Hope your on fire at Somerset this weekend. Its about time you pulled your weight don't ya think?
    As for the velcro suit, will ask my kiwi mate if I can borrow his. That'd be fun I recon. Rattling down the dam at close to 80mph whilst lying on the front deck. Just need a parachute and pull the cord at full noise and watch me go flying up in the air. Ye ha. What a ride.
    Chat to ya during the week.
    Billy Bass Boy

That's good news Bill. Just have to be on the spot when they fire. I won't be fishing the comp but will be doing a day trip to Somerset this Saturday so I may see you there. I won't interupt your comp fishing though.

Damien. Will probably give Cressy a go in about 3 weeks.

Brad