Thread: catching squid

Question catching squid

gday all,

Im lookin to catch some squid on jigs. based in west suburbs but can travel from anywhere sunnycoast to goldy, not asking for secret spots just some good starting points. Had a crack at wellington point pier tonight but couldn't raise a thing. fished the weedbeds there, the gutter between the rockwall and jetty. I have seen some squid there previously but they didnt want to play the game tonight. Any advice with techniques would be appreciated or wat kinda ground to look for, or better some good starting points/places. I'm sure theres a few people who know a thing or 2 so lookin forward to replies
    cheers,
    bballfisho

Re: catching squid

I don't live up there, but I have got more than enough Squid from the Breakwalls at Mooloolaba, easy to get to, easy to Fish (Squid) and there seems to be plenty of Squid, the wall on the Mooloolaba side is where I have fished the most, about half way out, just before dark, casting out into the Ocean, not the River, but they may be in there as well I guess, pretty easy to do.

wellington point jetty is usually very good this time of year but i think the lights have been out for a while due to the repairs being carried out on the bridge. They always seem to close it down in the winter months, probably dont realise thats the best time to fish it.

Anyway Victoria point jetty fishes just as well, stay near the lights, cast into the darkness then retrieve towards the light. The squid hang around these areas on the surface at night to ambush bait fish.

thanks 4 the help fellas. just wondering if i should persist and have a few more goes at wellington point pier. the end of the jetty was being repaired but the lights were on and it seem ed a likely squid spot. has anyone else had recent success there? anywhere else that would be worth a shot? When i get up the coast i will definately have a go at moolooaba. also do squid have a preferred colour and size for jigs?
    thanks again,
    bballfisho

Thanks for the squid update people

G'day

Have you had a shot at manly harbor?

Jigs are strictly yo zuri, with the small pink ones doing well, but the "pheremone" is simply stunning

dave

hi mate,
    i use the cheapest jigs i can as where i fish green toads relish them,i just add a drop of super glue on the hook end where it enters the body and at the swivel.another tip is if they are looking but not eating the jig spray on some stimulate(the one in the can). On certain days it can make all the difference in hard fished areas. Often if iv seen em ill just cast out and let the jig sit on the bottom as continuously dragging jigs over them will eventually spook them.I use pink and orange exclusively now after trials i believe them to be the best colours here any how. Hope this helps,even a little.Where we fish we sometimes remove most of the weight so the jig is just bouyant an they will eat it off the top. this may work at time off the jetty???
    chewy..

Shorncliffe pier seems to come up trumps everytime im out there fishing, all the squid people are there bring them up one after the other, sometimes 2 on the same jig!!!!!!

Cam
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

G'day Cammy and others.

I'm on the southside of Brisbane and would love to get some squid. I don't have a boat but have the gear to get them. Are they still around and what's the best time to get them. I can drive to Shornecliffe, if need be. Peter

Are any of the redcliffe area jetties doing any good ?

I was at redcliffe jeddy bout 3 weeks ago and i saw a guy with about 7 squid. he was just cruising the pier and casting.
    I usually fish shorncliffe at night and thats when i see them catching squid, usually from the 6-11pm bracket.

Cam
    Australian Native Fish Vids
    Specialize in Terapontida's, Perches, Cods, Gobies & Gudgeons

We fished mooloolaba last night and not a sign of a squid

Rock wall both sides and the coast guard lights later in the evening.

3 people casting different jigs and not a tentacle.

Weather was cold and water was very clear so I don't know where the squid were.

Thanks guys for your comments on where the squid were, now, I just got to get these buggers.