Thread: Is it too cold for Bass Fishing?

Is it too cold for Bass Fishing?

I have a leave pass for this Sunday and Monday to go bass fishing in either Somerset or Borumba and was wondering if I am wasting my time at the moment due to the cold snap?

I have heard that the bass school up in winter time but if the temperature gets too cold do the bass shut down?

cheers
    Raymond

Re: Is it too cold for Bass Fishing?

mate its usually great this time of year but with all the fresh in the dams at the moment its making the fishing very hard,the extra cold snap doesnt help either, ,there is a comp on at borumba this weekend somerset fired a couple of weeks ago with one boat landing around 60 fish for a mornings session from the edges so that sounds the goods for you ,good luck have fun cheers AL

Hi ray,
    we gave borumba a go bout 2 weeks ago and casted our arms all day for nothin,but there was a solid s/w change the nite before and it stuck around all day.so with different conditions its probably worth a look..plus leave passes can be pretty hard to come by so use them while you can...
    deano..

I agree about the leave passes, so I will probably go. I haven't heard many good reports lately so I thought that the cold winter might be shutting them down.

North pine fires with a good cold snap, wouldn't surprise me if the rest follow suit.

Jack.

I know its in a different part of the world, but for what its worth I have fished glenborne at Scone in NSW twice in the past month and caught plenty of bass. They were still on the chew at sunrise even with air temps around 1 deg and the water about 10deg.

I say go for it- What have you got to lose?

Mick

I can only speak for North Pine Dam, its goes really well on a winter afternoon. I've been having serious fun with big well conditioned bass out deep. I went out early Wednesday morning out of interest. The water was that cold that it hurt my fingers when I touched it and I couldn't find any fish at all. I know that if I fished the same spot in the arvo I would have a good chance of getting something.

Hi Ray

I went out for a couple of hours on Wivenhoe yesterday afternoon & could not raise a scale. I thought with the barometer well up they might be on the chew, but no luck. Water temp was about 14 degrees & plenty of fish on the sounder, hopefully they will be more cooperative on Suday arvo. Good luck with it anyway.

Cheers Andrew

hey, just wanted to let you know somerset also has a comp on this weekend. would be finished by sun arvo.

cheers Luke

There's a comp on at Borumba and Somerset this weekend. If I wasn't fishing the one at Borumba, I'd be going to Somerset for a social fish. Its been fishing a lot better than Borumba. Borumba is really shut down. Last 3 weekends in a row have only landed 2 small bass. Few big bonies coming to the surface with big ulcers on them. The recent inflows and cold weather has really shut the place down. Be giving it a wide berth and heading to Somerset. At least theres more room there too with it being close to 90% full.
    If you head to Borumba, give us a wave. Will be in a fast white Labsport.
    Cheers
    Bill

Thank you for the replies. I must admit that fishing directly after a comp is probably not ideal but I think that I will give it a go anyway. The big choice is whether I go to Somerset or Borumba. Maybe I will crack that magic pattern.

cheers
    Raymond

Well personally I'd be steering well clear of Borumba till it warms up. We had the Minibucks there on the weekend and everyone struggled. Only 15 fish were caught for the 2 days. Only one team caught their bag, which was us. 8 teams caught 1 fish, 1 team caught 2 and we ended up with 5. The 4 fish on the saturday came in about 15-20 minutes then shut down again. It was a matter of being in the right place at the right time.
    Will be fishing Somerset hard for the next few weekends in a row leading up to the 2nd Minibuck Bass round.
    Cheers
    Bill

Thanks Sniper. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I have to cancel my trip last week due to my fishing partner cancelling but we will be trying again in a few weeks time when it is warmer.

I'm glad to hear a report about the Minibucks comp as I have been searching the net for word on how many fish were caught. Nice going to getting your full quota of bass.

cheers
    Raymond