Thread: BEN HUR:MONDY MUSTER 1&2) & Part 3 Sept 10-12th 2010

Re: BEN HUR : MONDURAN (incorporating the Inaugural Mondy Muster) & AWOONGA in Septe

Fishboys Dad here. I see that Jake has been on the Chatroom without us knowing, love the spelling don't ya.
    Perhaps you guys can help me, prepping all the gear for next weekend, can anybody explain to me why it is considered necessary to back braided with mono. I've never bothered before, though I've now been advised that it is the best thing to do. The way I look at it it's just another knot to worry about.
    GEOFF.

Re: BEN HUR : MONDURAN (incorporating the Inaugural Mondy Muster) & AWOONGA in Septe

Geoff and Jake.

I Hope young Jake isnt in strife with Dad

Geoff, Braid is slippery so is the spool. the mono (only need about 10 metres) acts as a grip on the spool. WHen you spool braid directly onto the spool it has a tendancy to slip on the spool under pressure. I hope that makes sense.

Gear you should need, 30-50lb braid 60-80lb leader, and assortment of casting lures (shallow style- B52, stiffy twitch baits, Xraps, classic barras to name a few). This time of year trolling these same lures in water under 10ft has been getting fish in the past...should do so again this year too. Trolling 12-14ft lures in the main basin or any main parts of the river is also a good option, especially if the young fellas casting arm gets tired!!. Soft plastics are also going well. Try Slick rigs, storm shads or berkley powerbaits for a good start.

You dont have to fish heavy timber....open points and shallow bays have been working a treat.

Stop into Foxies barra havoc in Gin Gin town on your way thru. Tell him you from Ausfish too. He will give you good advice.
    hope this helps....I enjoy reading Jakes little questions...reminds us all the joys of being young!!

cheers steve

Quote Originally Posted by fishboy1 View Post
    Fishboys Dad here. I see that Jake has been on the Chatroom without us knowing, love the spelling don't ya.
    Perhaps you guys can help me, prepping all the gear for next weekend, can anybody explain to me why it is considered necessary to back braided with mono. I've never bothered before, though I've now been advised that it is the best thing to do. The way I look at it it's just another knot to worry about.
    GEOFF.
    Hi Geoff,

I'm no expert, but I believe that the reason for the little bit of mono on the spool first gives the braid something to bight into and grip the spool. Because braid is fairly slippery you can have problems with all your line spinning on the spool instead of your spool slipping against your drag.... hope that makes some kind of sense....

Good luck with the barra mate, as you can see from the guys on here they can be addictive

Mick

....You took the words out of my mouth Steve....I must be gettin slow on the keyboard...

Mick

No Geoff the young bloke is OK....whats he going to be like when he puts experience and advice received together...he'll be a Champion until Girl's appear on the scene....just a bit of advice teach him to make sure his girlfriend likes fishing and has her own boat he will be made....Seriously he's OK and we've heard this before ..Our kids are the future and we should encourage them as best we can....There are plenty of very good Barra fisherman and Women on this forum who will give you the good oil......Cheers Whitto.... PS Don't worry about his spelling he'll fit right in
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

hi musters sorry didnt get to catch up at the muster we did things tuff started with no sleep for 36 hours so we were stuffed sat night got up early sun morn before light fished till dark 1 fish 110 just on dark up the little creeks up the back on gold bommer buy my brother inlaw thank god 4 gps getting back so went bed early to get back up the back just on sun rise fished all day still no fish called it a day with a donut to my name with 1 half day to go early rise with in my mind i have to catch a fish so out came the spinner bait but to my luck zero went back and packed up and headed off on our 16 hr trip home hope i can catch up with u all next time im up that way the boy are already thinking feb by the sound of your report i should of found the time bit hard when you are coming and going in the dark took me 2 days to see there was 2 camp kitchens we were down with the grey nomads in powerd sites will re think next time once again sorry to miss use .gazza

Hi guy's it's jake.I like the info.list night i got more gear and mum was not happy.Im not in troubul

for going on the web site.

Good stuff fish boy - keep it up mate, mums are only mad for so long - she still loves ya.

Fin Finder - great to see that there are other crazy blokes out there that don't mind burning the midnight oil. Worst trip I did was a Faust trip. Slept on plane on the way up Fri morning and slept on the plane trip home Sunday night - fished non stop in between. Had to cast up the timber cause everytime we tried a troll, we kept falling off to sleep

Hey Fin ....... Stamina mate , Stamina

Our weekend involved ...... Wake up 6am Thurs - 17 hours drive (me) - 1 hour nap - Breakfast Gin Gin - look for mud guard in Bundy - Set up camp - On the water 1pm - back to camp 7pm - Drink too much - Bed 2am - up 6am - on water at 8am - fish till 7.30pm - Muster gathering = Drink too much - Bed 5am - Up 7am - on water 8am - Fish till 9pm - cook dinner - Bed Midnight (Monday morning)

Phew ..... even I'm impressed

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I didn't really have anything to say, just thought I'd roll it over to 1600

Nice work Dick

Red face Re: BEN HUR : MONDURAN (incorporating the Inaugural Mondy Muster) & AWOONGA in Septe

Sounds like you boys were lucky to make it home alive. The fishing picked up but every thing else went bad after the muster hey.

Nagg, I bet you have been having Ausfish withdrawals mate. I saw the pics mate, Bloody lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    Sounds like you boys were lucky to make it home alive. The fishing picked up but every thing else went bad after the muster hey.

Nagg, I bet you have been having Ausfish withdrawals mate. I saw the pics mate, Bloody lucky.
    Yes Mate ..... lucky alright !!!

I guess you have to take the good with the bad ....... & with good company + great fishing ............... It was a memorable trip
    Fortunately ....... come next year I'll be knocking off 2000 kms of the trips

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

One of your best reports Dick....rivoting stuff
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless