Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1770 Fishing Charter

Re: 1770 Fishing Charter

Even if the offer is a good one, it seems like it has been like a trip to the dentist.... long and painful and the memory lasts for a long time....................

This offer seems like it may have happened due to the "discussion" that has been happening online, this would be a shame if this was the case. This offer should be because of the need to fix up a genuine wrong that has been done, lets hope this is the case

Cheers Garry
    Cheers Garry

A bad day fishing, beats a good day at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mate sounds like a shocker of a trip.The sooner the names of the skipper and decky are out the better so others arn't caught out. I'm sure the owners will change them over as it's not good for any future charters.
    I've done some charters on the Tasman Venture and found them a excelant service with a well run boat and crew. All fish are put in a brine tank to start off before being cleaned.

Trust me rover 4 I thought I`d been spoilt as I have been on the tasman venture and they are sensational , but this james cook heap of junk is just a shocker. different ball park all together, they should pay the customers to go on this boat not the other way round!

Well it seems like the owner of the MV James Cook is going to take up the challenge of trying to change our opinion of his business enterprise, if we decide to accept his offer. Will not take much of an effort to improve on their last effort but will take a mighty one to change our impressions.
    We have been told that a 5 day charter that they did in the week after ours was a much improved affair after the skipper and decky got reamed out so if nothing else we have certainly improved their trip. I must say that the skipper seemed like a nice enough guy, just needed to push the decky a lot more.But then if you need to push someone to do his job then its time for him to go.
    Anyway i'd like to thank everyone for your support and if we take up his offer then we will provide a full report either way.
    Thanks Mark

Congrats mark

I hope that the next trip is totally enjoyable...........

Cheers Garry
    Cheers Garry

A bad day fishing, beats a good day at work!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing the experience and also taking the time to post this up in a professional way.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

This has been a very interesting read thanks for sharing. Congrats on handling it so professionally. Good Luck with next charter if you choose to do it, keep us posted.
    Cheers Kim.
    Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says...
    'Oh Shit.....she's awake'

I hope the next trip is better. Cheers Andrew

I was on the cook last year with both Neil and his father for a week end trip.

I am a big guy who eats large so food has to be important.

The food on the first day was excellent (pan fried ham/tom cheese s/wich) were off the hook and in massive supply. Roast dinner and s/rolls for lunch.

Second day breakfast wasn't that hot (penut butter s/wich) and again sausage roll for lunch (but not as many). But the satay crayfish on the cruise home was just incredible.

For me the fishing was not that great. I was the Hussar King, but trouts and reds were hard to come by. The others on the boat caught heaps of trout but nothing big. Neils dad caught the biggest fish a large cod. I swear there was one guy on board who runs a charter out of bermagui who caught every second fish.

That being said.

Every one had heaps of fish at the end when it was divided up. I was given 10 trout to take home and we had a barbie with the pretty dutch girls at the hostel. I gave all my parrots, hussar away to the good townsfolk of agnes.

For what it cost me I was stoked. I got to snorkel the reef, fish for sharks at night, there was the cance of a surf and the board was brought aswell. While the boat only did 7 knots I was aware of that when I arrived.

Some points that I didn't like. A large cod (protected) was caught and when released it floated away as shark bait with no real effort that I can remember to deflate it first.

The fish were left lying around in buckets for an hour or so before being put in a bag in the brine. They could have gone straight in to an ice box and been put in the bags later. I would have loved to see a brain spike aswell. The best tasting fish in the sea can be ruined by not treating them with the respect that they deserve.

I had a nap on the last afternoon and someone drank all my beer

When we left the anchorage in the morning the other boat had us by about 1 hour. That might not count for much but the whole second day after not catching much I was counting down the minutes thinking will this drop do it, when will I get smashed.

Other than that for $430 odd dollars for 2 days fishing on the grat barrier reef i was glad i wasn't at work.

Looking at booking again for the november 7th trip for 4 days. Though I might bring some up and go's, tuna cans, some bree cheese, vita brits and an extra slab of beer.

Any photo's from the trip fella's?

Cheers Scott

trymyluck
    I was in 1770 in august on a trip myself.
    we were filling up the water tank in my mates boat at the jetty where the pro's and a few charter boats work from and I got chatting to a skipper off a big charter boat there and mentioned about your trip and he knew straight away who it was and and recomended staying away from that operator as they are DODGY!!!
    better luck next time.
    ps..the skipper that I was talking to was fully booked out for the next 12 months...I wonder why...lol
    pickers

Mod11

pickers....

The Town of Seventeen Seventy has a small permanent population and it goes without saying that it has " small town syndrome ". Lots of backstabbers, chinese whisperers, backdoor deals, corruption and social posturing.

I would say that you were talking to Peter Budd, operator of Coral Sea ( Silver Dolphin Charters ). or Bluey Williams, from Bluanya Charters, either way, everyone in that game are padding their own operation and will pooh pooh the opposition. It is a cut-throat industry there, but unfortunately the customer gets left behind. Because 1770 has a reputation that floats on word of mouth which in turn expands into legendary status, a charter operator can be booked out 12 months in advance by different people, those people can be disatisified and will not come back, but due to the ' legendary ' status, the operator doesn't really care that much as there are many waiting in line to jump on board and try their luck in Gods Country. You see, the name 1770 conjures up dreams of Big Reds and Trout, the charter boats names run far behind in the memory.

If it was not for forums such as this, the general fishing population would not get wind of unprofessional operators. I never hear of bad experiences in fishing mags, TV or newspapers, so this media is a saviour for the fisho and a demon for the operators, if the operators are not up to scratch, as it appears in this case.

The people that depend on tourism in 1770 are milking it dry for all it is worth and the losers are you and I. Not all are in the same boat, but from personal experience, the majority are.

snapperdan,

you said that you were given 10 trout to take home; just a heads up, total Trout ' in possession' under the DPI&F legislation is 7.

trymyluck,

hope you take up the offer and the trip turns out OK. Remember, you are the paying customer and therefore the skipper works for you.

On a final and fair note, everyone can have a bad experience and some always get the good ones. Some trips are what you make of them. High expectations can lead to disappointment, go in with an open mind, but be firm on what your agreements and arrangements are.

chilli

Hi Everyone
    I've been waiting for my mate Appollo (Steve) to write a report on the 2 day charter that Neil offered us at half price to have a chance at changing our opinion of his charter operation as the amount of work he put into organising and communicating our problems with the charter to Neil has been outstanding and he deserves the credit of the outcome from this trip.But i'm guessing Steve has found himself snowed under with work as he is coming into his harvest season on his farm so i going to jump in and get off my chest what I want to say.
    Just to give everyone an idea of how serious Neil was one of the conditions was that we as individuals would only pay if we were of the opinion that this second charter was worth the money.
    So what was the charter like?
    I've got to say I went with the opinion that i'd come away thinking well that made up a little bit from the first charter but I still would not go back. I was wrong.
    The crew that we had first time are no more so the skipper on this trip was Neil who i must say pulled all stops out to give us a good time.Shonky the deck hand on day 1 was all you could ask as a decky, bait was on hand and when you caught a fish if you needed a hand you had it, and i've got to say as a new south welshman only up here a few years i need all the help i can get as some of the fish we catch up here have you in 2 minds what to do with them.The fish caught got processed as it should and if you wanted advice and they could give it they would.Although eating a still beating heart out of a freshly caught trout was a bit extreme.
    Neil was trialing a new Skipper who has a shitload of experiance as a trawler skipper and while it will take a little while for him to gain experiance as far as line fishing goes will not have any trouble putting you onto fish.He did his upmost to give us the best fishing opportunity he could.He certainly has no shortage of skill in handling the boat.
    The big question i guess that needs to be answered is will we pay for this charter and would we go back as a full paying customer?, well i can only answer for myself and yes i will be paying and yes i would go back as a full paying customer After this trip i would go back no quarms at all.What more of a recomendation can i give.
    Neil i'd like to say thank you for taking up the challenge of changing our minds and that i hope your future crew members put the same effort into making you business a success as i feel the more you can get customers coming back the better for everyone.
    Mark

I agree with Mark that the second trip was worlds apart from the first. I think mostly that was due to the different crew as the crew from our first charter are no longer in Neils employ

Food was far better and served more regularly without having to remind, and the fresh sashimi on the trip back in was awesome - glad I didn't have to have the beating heart version though! was a hoot to watch but no thanks.

After last time I took emergency food supplies with me although I'm pleased to say they weren't needed!

Whilst the fishing was not exactly red hot (that's fishing) we did boat some quality fish including reds, trout, spanish, pearl perch, cod, etc and a lot of fun was had on board in the meantime - it's so much better when you don't have to do the deckies job for him!

I'm pleased to say that I think the dissapointment of the first charter will soon fade as it's now replaced by many happy memories of the good time we had this time.

Cheers
    Tony

This is a fantastic result Mark and Tony.

I am sure the charter operator will appreciate you reporting back in here.

Now, where are the pics ????

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here