Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Ponds - Port Of Brisbane?

Re: The Ponds - Port Of Brisbane?

The conditions are not too good for the fish in there. They are very lean with low weight for their length. I would say they were resident fish trapped inside when the walls went up and are outgrowing their food source. I would like to see a big public session where fish are caught and sent over to the other side of the wall
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Right on Neil, the fish were trapped way back when the wall went up,
    they are supposedly going to re net the area before they fill it in.
    There are bream, lizards, jew, snapper, sandies, mullet and some grassies, plus a few of the bait fish family surviving in there.
    But it is a big area
    Reminds me of Jurassic Park over near the airport, where a few of the Comp winners came from, until they banned it.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by webby View Post
    the fish were trapped way back when the wall went up,
    regards
    Cheers webby, that makes more sense, its a very large area that would have taken a while to enclose, and seeing as people wouldn't have been able to fish there while it was being constructed, it be came a nursery of sorts. Once the wall was completed, anything inside was trapped.

I just couldn't get the idea out of my head, that the fish were able to enter the area once the wall had been closed, thats why I was thinking of pipelines.

I think horses idea is a good one, I'd take part for sure.
    simon

The ocean is the ultimate solution - Frank Zappa

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/slyman71/

they had a comp in it not that long ago like last weekend....

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy247 View Post
    they had a comp in it not that long ago like last weekend....
    Was it a port staff only comp again?

I dunno, I think its bollocks. How long ago did it go up? I've heard stories of tuna and stuff being in there. There are fish that move many many many kms a year, why would they be able to survive in a closed off thing for that long?

Where is the aditional food source coming from? Eventually the bait fish would run out, etc.

Bream and flathead maybe. Say it's 2-3m deep, snapper do not live in that shallow waters for very long, let alone all year round and in a closed environment.

If i see pictures of fish that are distinctly in that place, i'll believe it.... but the pictures of the schooled snapper could be from anywhere.
    Perception Swing Flatty and bream angler
    Landbased Too.
    Subaru Lover

Quote Originally Posted by theclick View Post
    I dunno, I think its bollocks. How long ago did it go up? I've heard stories of tuna and stuff being in there. There are fish that move many many many kms a year, why would they be able to survive in a closed off thing for that long?

Where is the aditional food source coming from? Eventually the bait fish would run out, etc.

Bream and flathead maybe. Say it's 2-3m deep, snapper do not live in that shallow waters for very long, let alone all year round and in a closed environment.

If i see pictures of fish that are distinctly in that place, i'll believe it.... but the pictures of the schooled snapper could be from anywhere.
    Its not a crock mate, its for real. Obviously your knowledge of snapper in shallow water is not as accurate as you think. They obviously can and do live in a shallow and relatively closed environment.

My mate has fished there a couple of times and he's emailed me photos of fish that have come out of there. He's got no reason to bull shit about where they came from. Those surface photos were emailed to him the days before the comp he fished at and were sent to him from someone who hardly fishes but has access to the ponds.

Look at the colour of the water, that is not the colour of water where you would usually find snapper. Sure it is a very unusual environment but whatever is going on there is obviously working for the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by plaztix View Post
    Its not a crock mate, its for real. Obviously your knowledge of snapper in shallow water is not as accurate as you think. They obviously can and do live in a shallow and relatively closed environment.

My mate has fished there a couple of times and he's emailed me photos of fish that have come out of there. He's got no reason to bull shit about where they came from. Those surface photos were emailed to him the days before the comp he fished at and were sent to him from someone who hardly fishes but has access to the ponds.

Look at the colour of the water, that is not the colour of water where you would usually find snapper. Sure it is a very unusual environment but whatever is going on there is obviously working for the fish.
    Thats true, it does look rather ..clear. I dunno, would have been a very well kept secret thats all.

I spotted a pipe that vents to the bay on the eastern side of the pond, which may well be the source of water, and also the source of the fish. The walls look too high to get inundated on a king tide, so that must be it i spose.

Should drop my kayak in there and have some fun,.

I also looked to spot some schools of snaps on google earth as the resolution is pretty damn good. Couldnt see anything unfortunately
    Perception Swing Flatty and bream angler
    Landbased Too.
    Subaru Lover

its pretty exciting to think. all these awsome fish all in one spot its like our dreams!
    boat minder- only $40 a day

Thats why people keep parking their boats on the wall!

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by theclick View Post
    Thats true, it does look rather ..clear. I dunno, would have been a very well kept secret thats all.

I spotted a pipe that vents to the bay on the eastern side of the pond, which may well be the source of water, and also the source of the fish. The walls look too high to get inundated on a king tide, so that must be it i spose.

Should drop my kayak in there and have some fun,.

I also looked to spot some schools of snaps on google earth as the resolution is pretty damn good. Couldnt see anything unfortunately
    I don't think its any secret its just no easy to get into and fish, There is no access for the public as it is on port land, Its regularly patrolled and i believe there are heavy fines for those caught by port security. In saying this nothing is impossible

I wonder if i can launch my tinnie in there,I promise to stay 30 meters from the walls .

Lol Cheif. Would have a lot of fun in there for certain.
    "True Blue"